PDA

View Full Version : How-to install your front JDM "H"

AkronSi
04-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Ok, I finally got around to installing my emblems this weekend, and decided to take some pictures for the front...since that's the one everybody has trouble with.

It's actually very easy, it will probably take you about 15 minutes if your really taking your time. :D

Tools
small flathead screwdriver
stubby phillips screwdriver
JDM emblem

STEP 1
With your hood open :D You should see 2 rows of plugs. There are 4 plugs in each row. The top row keeps the bumper attached to the frame. The bottom row keeps the grill attached to the bumper. Use the flathead screwdriver to pop the middle of the plugs up, then remove all the plugs.

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~pmt1/step_01.jpg

STEP 2
Standing directly infront of the emblem, pull the top of the bumper towards you. It is pretty flexible, so just give it a good pull ;) You will need to clear the hood-release handle. Once you get clear of the handle, you can look behind and see the screws for the OEM emblem riser.

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~pmt1/step_02.jpg

Step 3
Now, use that stubby screwdriver to remove the 2 screws. It's a PIA, so be patient. You might want to get an friend to hold the bumper out for you. Once you remove both those screws, the whole riser will come off, revealing the new mounting spot. Notice the 2 red arrows, those point to the guide holes for the new emblem.

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~pmt1/step_03.jpg

Step 4
Now, put your bumper back together again. It might take some creative pushing and pulling the get the bumper back under the hood-release. With the bumper back in place, you can replace all the plugs that you removed earlier. Also, now is a good time to use some degreaser or adhesive remover to really clean the new mounting location. You want the adhesive to stick really good.

Finishing up
Now that your bumper is back together, and your mounting spot is clean, it's time to stick the new emblem on. Remove the plastic covering the adhesive, and use the guide holes to place the emblem on. Go ahead and give it some good pressure so that the adhesive takes a good seat.

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~pmt1/finished.jpg

Now, go show that puppy off! Oh, and don't forget the back. It's pretty much self explanitory. :D

[edited April 14, 2003]

Back emblem
Ok, maybe the back isn't totally self explanatory. As ep88 said below, use dental floss and goo gone (or some other adhesive remover). I recommend spraying some of the adhesive remover on first to help loosen the adhesive up a little bit. Then get yourself a couple big pieces of dental floss because you'll probably shred at least one of them. You need to slip the dental floss behind the emblem and then just floss that puppy :)

Think of the floss as a saw, so you need to pull it back and forth. Spray some more adhesive remover occasionally. Once you get all the way through the adhesive with the floss, you may still need to pry the emblem off (there is adhesive in the center that you can't get with the floss). It's sort of hard, but I just used my fingers since I didn't want to risk scratching the paint.

With the emblem off, use the adhesive remover to get rid of all that left over gunk. Then, just put you new emblem on using the guide holes/posts to get it perfect.

UK Flag
The UK flag is easier since you don't need to remove another emblem first. Make sure you paint is really clean to start off with. I clayed that section of paint to make sure the paint was in pristine condition. After claying, I hit the area a couple times with adhesive remover. That will remove any wax/sealant that may be on the paint. It will also get rid of the quick detailer you just used to clay that area.

Once your paint is clean, you'll notice that your flag emblem is sandwiched between plastic. The bottom covers the adhesive and the top extends beyond the sides. Use this top section to help you align the flag with the existing civic emblem. I practiced a couple times, and then took the plastic off the adhesive. Now, very carefully align the flag. It should be centered between the civic and the molding that your "H" emblem is on. If you gently press part of the flag to the paint, you can still move it a bit to get it perfect. Once it's "just right" really press on it to get the adhesive to stick.

Now, your totally done. I'll take pictures and post them soon.

Hope this clears up any other questions that you might have.

silver ep
04-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Great easy to follow instructions! Now I just need to call Showstoppers! :D

SHAKEnBAKE
04-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Great, this should be a sticky!:D

chubbychu
04-09-2003, 11:50 PM
can this be used to remove the front "si" badge also?

AkronSi
04-10-2003, 05:32 AM
plainol2k2si-I didn't check out the front Si badge. I didn't think of it until I had everything put back together again. Next time I get some free time, I'll try to check it out for you.

hamproof
04-10-2003, 05:40 AM
I tried a few weeks ago to pull the top over the latch but was unsuccessful. I even scratch a little of the plastic in the process. From your picture, I think see some scratches too from from the hood latch metal rubbing against the plastic :o

Anyway, how much do you have to pull? Isn't it more like pull it towards you then once you clear the hood latch, pull it up??

Funny thing is you have badges to put on but I don't. I was just curious if I can open up that area. :D

chubbychu
04-10-2003, 06:20 PM
thanks akron the si badging isnt held on by screws...but yea check for me thansk!

SmoothOperator
04-10-2003, 08:48 PM
I couldn't get my bumper piece over the latch. And I was paranoid of pulling it too hard and snapping something. I just slid my hands in there and did it the hard way. :'( Also scratched that spot sumthin fierce.

AkronSi
04-11-2003, 06:34 AM
It is a pain to pull the bumper out. You really have to pull, but I don't think it will break unless your He-Man or something :D By taking out all of those clips, you shouldn't snap anything.

I didn't look to close, but I didn't notice any scratches on the paint. The paint was pretty dirty, and i just sprayed some degreaser on it and wiped it with a rag, so it still looks kind of grimy. Even if there is a little scratch, it's out of the way. If it were easy to see, then I'd be pretty pissed.

siver-SI
04-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Ok I have not ordered my reds yet so I am wondering how do you install the rear? Also how hard it is to intall the Flag on the rear too? The only emlblem work that I have done is restoring old Fords were they had posts and you had a retainer behind the sheetmetal holding in the posts.

ep88
04-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok I have not ordered my reds yet so I am wondering how do you install the rear? Also how hard it is to intall the Flag on the rear too? The only emlblem work that I have done is restoring old Fords were they had posts and you had a retainer behind the sheetmetal holding in the posts.

installing the rear emblem is pretty easy...just take off the orig. emblem by using a dental floss, sliding it all around the emblem.. clean the surface using goo gone...then stick ur new red emblem! :D

AkronSi
04-14-2003, 05:51 AM
I've edited the post to include the rear "H" and flag. Hope this helps. I'll post more pics soon.

I also checked the front Si emblem, and it looks like it's just a coupel plastic clips holding it on. should be easy to remove.

siver-SI
04-15-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks I ordered my badges last night. Got the front the back and the UK badge for $69.50 shipped with insurance on it since it is coming form the UK. I hope to get them next week they have to order in the UK badge should have that in tomarrow. I was wondering about that back if they had the post to make sure it was lined up right that is why I asked about the set up for the reast of the badges.

Thanks again

AkronSi
04-16-2003, 07:07 AM
There are posts on the front and reat H's, but they don't clip from behind. They are just there as guides. When you get the flag, you'll see that it has extra plastic on it. You'll use this to align it with the 'civic' emblem. Just use your eye.

chubbychu
04-18-2003, 01:52 PM
i went ahead and took off the front si logo....it was really easy but, its not put-back-on-able...its held on by some tabs that go one way. and i broke them off and it just kinda fell off the front. yea, now i have a mystery honda woohoo!

siver-SI
04-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Well I istalled my 2 H's and the flag and I have to say it looks great. I have to say our help made the job easy. The front was a lot easyer then I thought I would be. The clips came off easy and the to pull out the front bumper was a lot easyer then I thought it would be. I just made sure to watch the latch and then I just pulled nice and easy and it came up and over with out a scatch. The rear was very easy with some dental floss and goo gone. Then the flag I just got a flat thin piece of carboard and lined it up with the civic and the marked were it looked like it was centered with using my finder for the measuring and them I marked the carboard and but on the emblem and then step backed and ajusted it a little to get it strait and it went on no problem. I love the install and looks great thanks again for your help.

AkronSi
04-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Glad I could help siver-SI :D

CiViCnBlu
04-29-2003, 03:05 PM
where can i get a red H from

mixedupneko
04-29-2003, 04:09 PM
civic n blue www.showstoppersusa.com tell them ask for chuck tell him Niko from ephatch.com sent you

SiR_d1
05-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by hamproof
I tried a few weeks ago to pull the top over the latch but was unsuccessful. I even scratch a little of the plastic in the process. From your picture, I think see some scratches too from from the hood latch metal rubbing against the plastic :o

Anyway, how much do you have to pull? Isn't it more like pull it towards you then once you clear the hood latch, pull it up??

Funny thing is you have badges to put on but I don't. I was just curious if I can open up that area. :D

yes, i would like to know if this is the right way of doing it. SOMEONE HELP. do u pull towards you to get around the latch and then lift????

siver-SI
05-11-2003, 06:53 PM
This is what I did after getting it lose I took and put my hands so they were centered on each side of the latch to headlight space. Then I just pulled towards me nice and easy. Then I watched to make sure I cleared the latch and then pulled upward and I was done there. Just make sure you take it nice and easy and do not yank just pull it out nice and easy.

SiR_d1
05-11-2003, 09:14 PM
thanks siver-si

potator
05-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Does anybody know where on the ShowStoppers website I can find/purchase the emblems?
I can't seem to find them anywhere on the site.

Mugen_EP
05-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by potator
Does anybody know where on the ShowStoppers website I can find/purchase the emblems?
I can't seem to find them anywhere on the site.

go to the site www.showstoppersusa.com

click on "accessories"

then click on "02-up, Honda Civic Si"

Listed for $69.00

potator
05-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP

go to the site www.showstoppersusa.com

click on "accessories"

then click on "02-up, Honda Civic Si"

Listed for $69.00

Awesome, thanks. That sure is pricey though... Does anyone know of a place that might be selling it for a cheaper price?

Oh, and by the way, is Goo-Gone a spray or just some grease you have to manually apply? Are there more than one kind of Goo-Gone? I've found a site that's selling a 4 Oz. bottle of Goo-Gone for $2.99 and was wondering if it will be all I need for this emblem installation. (As far as substances go).

SmoothOperator
05-27-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by potator

Awesome, thanks. That sure is pricey though... Does anyone know of a place that might be selling it for a cheaper price?

Oh, and by the way, is Goo-Gone a spray or just some grease you have to manually apply? Are there more than one kind of Goo-Gone? I've found a site that's selling a 4 Oz. bottle of Goo-Gone for $2.99 and was wondering if it will be all I need for this emblem installation. (As far as substances go).

$69 is about as cheap as you're gonna find them. Yes it's pricey, but they look WAY better than aftermarket knockoffs. Those are the REAL DEAL off the JDM type-R.
Click HERE to see a nice close up pic I took of the JDM emblems, next to the stock ones. (http://ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=116226)

And as for the Goo Gone....it's comes in a bottle, and the product itself isn't thick at all. It's as runny as water. I actually didn't even end up needing any.
Also there's a bunch of emblem installation threads on the board...pic one and away you go!!!

potator
05-28-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator

$69 is about as cheap as you're gonna find them. Yes it's pricey, but they look WAY better than aftermarket knockoffs. Those are the REAL DEAL off the JDM type-R.
Click HERE to see a nice close up pic I took of the JDM emblems, next to the stock ones. (http://ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?postid=116226)

And as for the Goo Gone....it's comes in a bottle, and the product itself isn't thick at all. It's as runny as water. I actually didn't even end up needing any.
Also there's a bunch of emblem installation threads on the board...pic one and away you go!!!

Thanks a lot man... You've answered all the questions I had about the emblem installation. I'll be ordering them from ShowStoppers within the week. ;) Yeah, the JDM Red Type-R emblems sure look sweet. I'll let you know how my installation goes. Thanks again.

-tator

Civicvtec1ps
07-28-2003, 06:31 PM
installed emblems .
VERY easy.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
08-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Great instructions.
Took me 10 mins total for front and rear.

PinkMilk
10-05-2003, 05:50 AM
That is way toooo much work for nothing... Simply pop off the front H and clean the back thing real good... and stick the ne wone on.. why go through all the trouble of takign the grill and the H off witht the back??? i will show a pic of mine

PinkMilk
10-05-2003, 06:08 AM
How do you post more then 1 pic in a single post?

PinkMilk
10-05-2003, 06:24 AM
here

PinkMilk
10-05-2003, 06:26 AM
:o

potator
10-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Doh, looks like the pictures just went down! Can someone put them back up?? I'm installing my JDM emblems tomorrow. :shockm: :smilem:

*edit* Awesome, it's back up! Let's just hope it stays back up by the time I get to installing them tomorrow! :smilem:

potator
10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
And oh yeah, that's a pretty good point. How is Pinkmilk's method? Does it result in the exact same way? Has anyone else tried this method?

chubbychu
10-06-2003, 07:51 PM
eeh...its not THAT much work at all! just a screw and 8 clips. it actually looks a lot nicer if you just take the whole riser off (IMO) and plus you can take off the JDM emblem if you wanna sell it or something AND i would rather have the emblem sticking to the grill itself which is solid, rather than the riser which is kinda gappy

potator
10-06-2003, 09:30 PM
I just want mine to be the way the JDM Type-R has it. Does the JDM Type-R also have its emblem on the riser, or does it just sit directly on the grill, with no riser?

AkronSi
10-07-2003, 07:45 AM
I believe it's on the grill. If you do go with the riser method, be carefull. I've seen some with really crappy looking gaps between the emblem and the riser.

Just take the riser off. Like plainol2k2si said, it only takes a couple extra minutes. In fact, I bet it's quicker than trying to get the factory "H" off of the riser and then cleaning the riser and putting the new "H" back on it.

potator
10-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi
I believe it's on the grill. If you do go with the riser method, be carefull. I've seen some with really crappy looking gaps between the emblem and the riser.

Just take the riser off. Like plainol2k2si said, it only takes a couple extra minutes. In fact, I bet it's quicker than trying to get the factory "H" off of the riser and then cleaning the riser and putting the new "H" back on it.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Yeah, taking the riser off is absolutely no problem for me. The only reason why I was asking was because I wanted mine to be the same way the JDM Type-R has it, that's all. I'll take the riser off when installing the emblem. Hopefully I'll install it later today, I'll post here again after it's done!:smilem:

potator
10-17-2003, 05:09 PM
Awesome. Just received my JDM H emblems in the mail today and installed them using this great tutorial Akron put up. Other than accidentally losing one of the bumper/grill plugs (which I quickly replaced), everything went super perfect!:smilem: Looks so much better with the JDM emblems now. Thanks again for the tutorial Akron!:smilem:

03CivicSi
10-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Can you take out that little section that the emblem screws into so that all you really see is the grill? No "H" at all?

Thanks

potator
10-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by 03CivicSi
Can you take out that little section that the emblem screws into so that all you really see is the grill? No "H" at all?

Thanks

I think not. If I remember correctly, the portion of the bumper that has the flat surface for the emblem is part of the grill(sp?) itself. It's not another piece attached onto it, like the stock emblem riser. But you might be lucky, and that part underneath might also be removable so I may be wrong. Please do some more searching, I'm sure someone's got the answer. Hope this helps.

AkronSi
10-20-2003, 07:02 AM
potator's right. That section that the stock riser screws into and that the JDM emblem mounts too is molded into the grill. So, you'd be left with an ugly rectangular area there.

djmcronin
02-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Would anyone have the dimensions of these badges. I have a 2003 Civic EP1 and would like theses badges but wont order until I can check if the size is correct.

Air Maxalot
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Nice write up, will def come back later when the time comes

OZ.EP3
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I used these instructions when I installed mine, worked like a charm:thumbu:

JJay.
07-02-2011, 04:25 AM
can somebody please update this post with working pictures?

carrito
09-07-2011, 12:44 AM
no pics :mcry:

StockTexasEP3
10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Pics!!!! Where are dey

Danielsle
10-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Pics!!!! Where are dey

You guys are in the wrong section! Luckily for you I made a new DIY about it last month. Enjoy.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?66160-DIY-JDM-Red-Honda-Badges-Renewed-with-pictures.

ep32424
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
thanks for the link.