PDA

View Full Version : Crutchfield speeker buy what else do I need, and no door cut right?

siver-SI
04-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Ok I have made up my mind I think. I am going to go through Cruchfield for my very first speeker install that I have ever done. I am very sure I am going to get the Polk EX365 EX3 Series 6-1/2" Speakers. From what I have heard at local stores they sound good in a sound room. I know how they will sound in my car will be diffrent, but I hope they do sound good.

The only other ones that I was still thinking about were the Rockford Fosgate FRC3206U , or the Rockford Fosgate FRC4206U. I can not find a place out by me that carries them so I do not know how they sound.

This is what they say about the install
Use the factory speaker grilles.
You must remove the factory speaker brackets and/or grilles.
A speaker adapter bracket is required. It is included free with your speaker purchase.
Re-drill the mounting screw holes.

This means that I sould not have to cut up my doors right? Has anyone done a Cruchfield install with these speekers.

Also are these thing worth it at all. And if so what size should I get?
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=237xt65

I guess the last thing is sould there be anything else I sould get for the car while I am tearing it down and have it all opened up?

Thanks for your help on this

BlackNRedSi
04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
siver-SI,

lets see here...

The polks will be a good set for our EP, I heard them in my friends EP i think they sound real good...

Now were you looking to put these speakers in the front or the back? If you were thinking about putting them in the front (and this is only my suggestion) get a set of Polk Components, so you get the tweeters and the crossovers...

but if you want to just get the 6.5's (if you dont have the money right now, or just want the 6.5s) you wont have to cut anything at all. I stuffed my Boston Acoustics in my door (and they were big, so i think the polks will fit in real easy)

as for the baffles, sure go ahead and get them, they are cheap, and they will protect your speakers incase its a rainy day, or if you are a smoker...so none of your ashes or anything gets in there!

and for your last question, if you are going to keep your system pretty close to stock (e.g. not hooking up amps, or components) you will be fine with what you are doing. now if you are putting your speakers to a amp, or a headunit that doesnt have a pre-built in amp, then i would say 'yes, your going to need to do otehr wireing' but if your not, i wont explain that....if you are, repost and i will help you, or someone else will post for you....if you have specific questions on wireing check out some of the threads that PaXie posts in the ELECTRONIC section...

Eric

siver-SI
04-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Well thank you very much because I almost screwed up my front speekers with out getting the Component set up. That would have sucked if I did that. Know I am thinking of getting the Infinity Reference 6000cs instead of the Polks. Cruchfield said that none of the Infintys will fit my back speeker area so I will have to figure out what to go with. I am thinking maybe the JBL P-632. They have a good deal $70 off. I am not looking for a show type stereo but one that can give me some good perfomance and ejoyment.

For a head unit I am going to get get a good one around a 45 or 55 x4 head unit that has a very sweet display and most of all sounds great. I am not going to do a amp I think because I just do not see why I need it because I am not to add a sub. I would think that the head unit will fit into the stock harnes.

If you have any good ideas for the rears from Cruchfield please give me a heads up. This is my first stereo upgrade in a car and I know what I hear in a sound room at a store will be diffrent then what I hear in the car.

Also sould I get anykind of matting for the inside of my door? If so what sould I get? I know with Dyno Mat I am paying a lot for the name.

Thanks so much

I-4Si
04-11-2003, 09:13 PM
I have the RF 3206's. They've made a nice improvement to the stock head unit. I put them in the rear and had to drill an extra hole to get them to fit. I would like to do the fronts, but haven't felt like hassling with them.