PDA

View Full Version : I Need info about REPOSESION..!!!!

mixedupneko
04-10-2003, 12:01 PM
I have a 2002 si, i have a suspended licsense I got dropped my inshurance company state farm they drop 5,000 people a month in NJ. and now that i have a suspend licesne i cant get inshured its almost impossible . im gettin my licnse back may 18th. i payed my carpayments 3 months in advanced. i was wondering if i hide my car at my friends house and as long as they dont get my car and by may 18th i get inshureance ill b fine ? i heard that its only reposesion on your credit file if they take the car. anyone have any info or help ? i just cant get the repo on my creidt or at least my uncles credit its about 30 days till i get my NJ license back to get inshurance. let me know if you know anything about repo

kenis138
04-10-2003, 12:39 PM
DAY-UM

I read this message three times and Im still having trouble following. Are you saying that you got yer license suspended for not having INSURANCE or they dropped your INSURANCE because your LICENSE got suspended. And how would they repo yer car if you payed 3 months in advance? Is there some kind of law in NJ where they can take yer car if you dont have insurance? If this is the case, you may be ok. It usually takes insurance companies/dmv/credit companies a while to catch up with anything. Also, why yer Uncle's credit, is he co-signed on yer loan?

Try stating yer problem a little more coherently and you'll probably get some good advice from those in the know around here. good luck

SiNi$t3R
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Dude just hide ur ride at ur friends pad and all will be cool. Trust me, I've had friends hide their ride in my garage and they never got it repoed.

BlasTech
04-10-2003, 01:36 PM
As long as you are paying for the car, I think most states will let you keep it uninsured as long as it is like up on blocks with the wheels off or something... seriously... just call the tax office and ask them, but dont give your name, or look it up online.

digitldlnkwnt
04-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
As long as you are paying for the car, I think most states will let you keep it uninsured as long as it is like up on blocks with the wheels off or something... seriously... just call the tax office and ask them, but dont give your name, or look it up online.
True..in NY reposseing anything is usually due to NOT paying the payments. If you have an unregistered or insured car parked in the street, you would; after several tickets, get towed and impounded. If you pay the tickets, they give your car back. Your car is your property and it was recently ruled in New York, that it is unconstitutional to confiscate your property; its your car.
A license is different If you have no License and drive also without insurance, then you are breaking the law; different jam all toghther, and even then it i dont know how the state could "take' your car.
Park the car in your driveway save up money and buy parts.
Then when you can drive it, it will look nicer and be faster.
Thats my plan when i lose my license.
Hope it helps

blueiedgod
04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by mixedupneko
I have a 2002 si, i have a suspended licsense I got dropped my inshurance company state farm they drop 5,000 people a month in NJ. and now that i have a suspend licesne i cant get inshured its almost impossible . im gettin my licnse back may 18th. i payed my carpayments 3 months in advanced. i was wondering if i hide my car at my friends house and as long as they dont get my car and by may 18th i get inshureance ill b fine ? i heard that its only reposesion on your credit file if they take the car. anyone have any info or help ? i just cant get the repo on my creidt or at least my uncles credit its about 30 days till i get my NJ license back to get inshurance. let me know if you know anything about repo

Please stae who is going to REPO your car. State or Bank (AMHFC if you finance through Honda) The only way a bank can repo your car is if you have not paid for 90 days or so, depends on the state. The state can not repo your car for not having insurance or having your licence suspended. They can suspend your registration for not having insurance coverage, unless you pay a fine to the tune of $6-$9/ day.
However, read your financial contract, in CT American Honda Finance Corporation (bank that financed my car) requires that I carry comrehensive on the car, even if I do not register the vehicle. They want to make sure that if the vehicle is stolen they get their money. If State farm dropped you because you had your licence suspended, then you can get just comprehensive coverage to keep your bank happy.
You have not given us enough info, here are some possibilities:
1 -- You have a suspended registration not licence. You registration was suspended when State farms dropped you and you did not pay the fine to the state.
2 -- Your licence got suspended for some reason, and State Farm dropped you, which eventually led to 1.
3 -- Your suspended registration resulted in suspended licence, which caused 2 and then 1.
Should I continue?

Type X
04-10-2003, 03:46 PM
repo = if u dont pay car payments

driving with suspended lic. = impounding of car ticket etc etc

if they catch u without insurance = impounding of car and ticket etc etc

but they won't repo the car
cause who is to say i dont go buy a brand new accord and leave it in my garage

UNLESS your car is a lease and u HAVE to have insurance

cause technically your driving "chase banks car" etc etc

i paid my car off so i own the title
so if i smack it up with no insurance they come after my hosue :(

David K.
04-10-2003, 03:52 PM
More than likely whoever lent you the money for your car requires you to maintain comprehensive insurance coverage. If you fail to do so it's probably not grounds for repossesion, HOWEVER the lender will more than likely take out a comprehensive policy for themselves and bill you for it every month along w/ your car payment. I had this happen to me once on a motorcycle. Usually the policy they get to cover themselves is quite expensive; you're better off finding a policy of your own if you can. Good lock.

mhx
04-10-2003, 04:30 PM
www.progressive.com :)

EPHatchgirl
04-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Just a thought- if you are worried about the registration without insurance.... turn in your tags until you get your liscense back and have it insured. If you are paying your payments, it should not get repoed... but to avoid more problems with the Dept of Motor Vehicles, turn in the tags til you get your shit all straight.

bsdbytes
04-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mixedupneko

Odds are the loan company requires full comprehensive coverage and has a stipulation in the loan agreement that they can take the car back regardless of your payment history if you fail to maintain insurance coverage. Most insurance companies will offer a special policy that will cover the car if it's not being driven (which is usually a lot cheaper).

Mike

siver-SI
04-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Call Honda bank if that is who you are through first on a phone that is not at your house and they do not have on record as being you (damn caller ID shit). Ask them what happens if a case of were insurance is droped. I know when I just go my first payment this past week I have to call up AllState and have them Contact Honda that i do have insurance. It states in the writing if I do not have it they will charge me for their insurance.

I had a thing happen when I bought my Grand Am a few years back and I changed insurance. Well some how GMAC screwed up and lost my new AllState information. Well all of a sudden I get this extra bill for $57 on my car payment. That was their cost of the insurance. I got it worked out and got it taken off.

The best thing to do is call the bank and see what they say with out giving them any of your information.

SOUTHPAW
04-10-2003, 07:11 PM
I saw that someone posted the progressive site. Definatly check them out, when I got pulled over doing 93 in a 55 my license was suspended and my insurance company dropped me. I made a call to progressive and they picked me up when my suspension was over. I pay a hell of a lot of money but atleast I'm insured. Check them out....

mixedupneko
04-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Hey everyone sorry if i didnt give you more of a jist of whats goin on. Well my car is a lease and in the fucked up state of NJ a lease has to be fully coverd 24/7. Also progressive doesnt cover NJ. Also the reason i cant get inshurance is because i have no NJ license. and since i cant get inshurance. is why my car is danger of getting repoed ? get it. so i think it would b AHFC that would repo it. but what im trying to find out is, is it when HONDA actuly gets your car is when your creidt papers read REPO or is it just when they finaly find out u dont have inshurance. this is what i kneed to find out. i apreicate all the help you guys are giving me and in return ill give you this advice DONT COME TO NEW JERSEY. dmv is a fuckin nightmare. Also if anyone in NY wants to help me out id also b glad to compisate them. my cuzins lived in queens so b 4 i lost my nj licese i got a NY licnese so if n e 1 in NY would let me use there adress so my inshurance bill could b sent there for 1 time. Id hook them up with major cash. let me know

RiceCzechs
04-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Not trying to be a jerk here (definitely want to help out a fellow EP'er), but having serious trouble figuring out what you're trying to say... time to revisit Webster's and/or a grammar book.

Here's what I've got:

Your car is leased, so yes, your car needs full coverage insurance at all times. As you don't own the car, Honda needs to know that in case something happens to it (stolen, crashed, natural disaster), they get reimbursed. As far as I know, that's a law in every state in the Union, which makes sense to me.

You have a NJ license and get it revoked? Can't you have it insured in someone else's name? (I'm not sure of the logistics of this given that Honda is technically the owner of the car).

My advice if you still have a kosher New York license is to get a P.O. Box from a company like Mailboxes Etc. Each of their boxes actually has a street address (they don't look like P.O. boxes on envelopes), which will probably do a nice end-around your insurance company, and you won't have to put anyone out to do it. That, and you'll save major cash, 'cause you can usually rent a box by the month. Of course, you've got to go into the city to pick up your mail, but depending on where you live, that shouldn't be too bad (just don't drive yourself!) *lol*.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out...

mixedupneko
04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Hey I live like 5 min from staten island wich is new york. This mailbox etc thing sounds like a good idea. My question is how is it that i could get caught . ? when i get my NY plates will the DMV except the mail box etc adress ? let me know

bsdbytes
04-11-2003, 06:09 AM
This site may help you out a little. It doesn't fully explain based on your situation, but may help.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/carrepo.htm

The repossession process involves more than just taking the car. Once they have begun, it may show up on the credit report.

Mike

mhx
04-11-2003, 06:43 AM
dude.. Its simple... wait till your problem with your LIC is fixed.. hide the car at a friends.. it will take the lender some time to find out you dont have INS, maybe 30-60days?

All they really care about is if they get there monthly payment.. They dont go around doing checks on INS..

if you drive just be safe dont do stuipd shit to get pulled over or your fucked.

just get INS asap and make sure your payments for the car are there no matter what.. screw the LIC/INS until you can fix it.

AznPower
04-11-2003, 03:35 PM
my insurance overlaped for like 4 months and it got cancelled. I even got in a wreck and police were involved and nothing happen. No dmv letter nothing. I just paid my montly payments and i finally got my insurance back up with no fee from insurance or dmv

blueiedgod
04-11-2003, 05:37 PM
When I live din NYC, I had my car registered in upstate NY, Binghamton. Everything was fine, while everyone else was paying $5000/year, I was only paying $1500/year. But one day I get a phone call from progressive, well, I did n't know it was them, they asked to speak with me, and I told them it was me. They asked me what I was doing at that address, I told them I was visiting my girl, then they asked me if I worked at Clairol, and I said yes. Then they questioned how I commuted 200 miles to work, and told me that the game was up. They were transferring my insurance to my NYC address, and that I should be gratefull that they did not report me for insurance fraud.
The reason they cought me, is because my credit report did not list "my upstate" address, and neither did my taxes. Also I had a phone in my name in NYC.
Anyway, to get the insurance in NY, you would need to have your credit card bills go there and your tax forms, which is greater fraud than just insurance fraud. I say, move out of NJ!
I was talking to prospective employers in NJ. One in Mount Olive and the other is in Wayne. I told them the only way I would move to NJ, is if the company picks up my insurance premiums. I checked out Allstate, my premiums would quadruple from CT rates.
Mail boxes tirck will work initially, most insurance companies like Geico, State Farm and Progressive run a credit check before they issue a policy.
If you do find someone in NY to cover you, make sure one of your credit cards is registered there, and give insurance company the phone number in NY. If you call them call from a cell phone or form work. If you are paying by check, make sure the check does not have your NJ address. It would help if you paid your premiums with a credit card that has your NY address. You can get a completely paperless Discover and AMEX Blue. This way you don;t have to worry about anyone looking at your credict card statements. If you already have one of those, simply call them and do the address change. Then sign up for internet option instead of paper billing.
Good luck