PDA

View Full Version : Keep blowing fuses in my power wire.....why?

vtec24
04-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Ok, when I installed my system....a brand new sub and amp, it worked fine for about 4 months. Then one day the fuse in my power wire near the battery blew. So I had an extra one laying around. I replaced it and it worked for about 3 weeks. Then that fuse blew. I went to best buy and bought a pack of 2 fuses. Same AMP as previous fuses. I replaced the blown fuse with a new one and as soon as I turned the key, the fuse blew. I have checked my ground and it seems fine. Could the amp be blowing the fuse? I couldn't imagine the wiring is bad or the wire covering has been rubbed off. I've only had the system for about 5 or 6 months. Everything was brand new when I bought it also. Any help would be great! I know it's not a blown sub because it did it without the sub hooked up. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thanks!

Josh

oogy-boogy
04-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Hey josh. First off, check your amp to see if there's any way that the + and - are touching or have the possibility of touching. Even if a couple of strands touched it could happen. Has it happened when driving hard around turns? Stopped? Car on or off? When your tunes were slammin? What size fuses? How much power are you running? WHat gauge wire?

vtec24
04-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, I think I found the problem....not 100% positive though. I'm pretty sure my amp is bad. I went to best buy tonight and bought some new fuses...this time I got 60 amp instead of 30 amp. I put one in and it blew again. So I swapped out my amplifier with an older, less powerful amplifier and it works fine. Luckily, I got a 2 year warranty on that amp. Damn things only 5 or 6 months old. Another quality product from best buy.....gotta love em. Anyhow, tomorrow I'm marching my happy ass into best buy and shoving that amp up their...........noses. I guess we'll find out if that's the problem. Oogy-boogy, I checked all the wires to make sure none of them were touching....ground was ok, power wire ok, speaker wires ok...etc. I think I just have a bad amp. If not, I'm getting a new one anyways! Thanks

Josh

BlackNRedSi
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Well @ first it sounded like you were sending too many watts and your amp was overheating then shutting down...but what you are saying about the fuses....

that really sounds like a shyte amp, or that your amps is getting voltage spikes,and shutting down....do you have the proper voltage ?

hope you cleared up shyte with bestbuy!

Eric