PDA

View Full Version : No Snobbery Amongst Gear Heads

digitldlnkwnt
04-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Ok..as far as this forum is concerned im one of the new kids. As far as cars in general are concerned, i know a couple of things, we will just leave it at that.
This post is about people who have been in the car, and more specifically, the Honda scene for awhile, and bag on the newbies.
Look everyone of us started out not know wtf an oil filter was and then slowly we learned this and that from either trial and error, reading or plain old "teacher knows best".
My point: Cut the newbies and people who aren't in the know some slack.
None of us would have learned anything if everyone in the scene came off like a snob.
I see people diss cuz someone has a car that doesnt have money put into it-Some of us dont have extra loot and bought the car cuz, we actually like it, imagine that?
I see people who have "big ego syndrome" cuz they have a a fast or modded out ride. Fact is, many of the people that have these cars, could tell you where to drain the oil from.
Im not yellin or dissin anyone directly, but i do think the next everyone or some rude know-it-alls wanna gang up on someone cuz they dont have $2000 bux to throw into thier ride,
We should take a oook at where each of were.
Sorry to preach, but its just been pissin me off lately, and im sure im not the only one.

iR-VTEC2
04-10-2003, 11:05 PM
thats just part of being a newbie, dude. Probably see a lot less of that kind of thing on this message board tho.

IceD out N CALI
04-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by iR-VTEC2
thats just part of being a newbie, dude. Probably see a lot less of that kind of thing on this message board tho.

true, this is a good board:)

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 06:14 AM
They know they are doing it and what you're saying probably won't change anything. You should just try to ignore anything thats not helpful - the internet is like that in general.

On a personal note, being a noob or board slut isn't always a bad thing. Look at Trippz, for instance - he was an instant smash hit as the board slut. He posted on all kinds of topics and got slapped around quite a bit. Over time I've moved beyond all that and I think Trippz is pretty cool, he's earned his place and I don't even really think of him as a slut anymore. He's obvoiusly got love for the board, if he sustained so many personal attacks and yet kept coming back.

streaker666
04-11-2003, 06:23 AM
You know what? I'm new too but I can understand their frustration. Anyone that has to go through the process of answering the same questions for a million times would get fed up...I know I would. And the search function exist for a specific reason...and if in the end you can't find the topic of your interest then asking would be the only thing to do (and I can understand a newbie's frustration getting flamed for doing that). But I think some people here would just want to see some effort from a person before he/she starts screaming for help...

But I must say, a lot of nice people on this forum...most of the time they would either give you a straight up answer or provide you with a link to old threads. This is a great site for ep owners... If you want bad, check out the other 'Si' clubs (forum)...don't even post anything there unless it's completely legit.

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Man, I've never seen those forums but that is fucked up. If you have to be afraid of making a mistake when you ask questions, then the forum is not being used as an effective means of communication. We should definitely try to avoid that.

esmith13
04-11-2003, 07:18 AM
I used to frequent "Club Si" for a long time as a guest and for a year or so as a member, before I heard about this place in their forums....

... Let me tell you... EPHATCH may have a few problems (all minor) but by no means is there a better, frendlier board that I have found having to do with ANY subject, hobby or profession!!!!!

... And let me tell you, I'm a network engineer and spend most of my day (when stuff ain't broke) hoaring around on forums and in chat rooms trying to entertain or educate myself...

And for that matter, my opinion should REALLY count since I consider my EP to be my first "worthy" car I have ever owned, and most everything I have learned about cars I have learned HERE in the past .... Oh, almost a year now...

I NEVER got ragged on...

I NEVER got shit on...

I NEVER got dissed for being a mid 20's male who didn't know what an exhaust header looked like or how a suspension setup worked and what each part was for.

Have you ever noticed that even the cocky smart assed people here STILL give you the curtousy of an answer????

Even if the answer is SEARCH -- 5 letters, starts with 'S', ends with 'H'....

... I'd bet you $100 most of them did the search themselves to make sure the info WAS available before telling you to do so. And the rest who didn't probably knew already because they posted the answers themselves to others in the forum in the past!!!

Get off it or get out.

Plain and simple.

DTH should start a contest, "The one who finds a friendlier site than EPHATCH wins $1,000"

No one would win. No one could win.

digitldlnkwnt,

You need to take a deep breath, and relax.
It dosen't get any better... It dosen't need to.

Nuff said... My fingers hurt.... :angel:

Eric.

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 07:21 AM
Esmith, I'd like to award you with the $1000 prise for most carriage returns in a post. Congratulations! j/k...seriously everything he said is 100% true.

todaCspec
04-11-2003, 07:24 AM
Well said Esmith13.

esmith13
04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys... I just can't let people bash the only nice thing I've found on the internet in the 17 years I've been using it... (aah, the 2400 baud modem and ANSI mode BBS days...)

As far as the carrage returns, sorry, it's kind of like when people go "umm" when their talking, it's my way of filling in a pause while I'm thinking... ( kinda like these elipses I use too :angel: )

That and the old college days, " I want a 10 page report by friday"... How many blank lines can I leave to make a 5 page report fill 10 pages????

sorry, just rambling.... :angel:

Eric.

Type X
04-11-2003, 08:11 AM
I dont think its snobbery

but the point is when kids come here to verbally hate on other kids or not encourage other mod's to their cars
than that = wrong

i mean if the site has to be represented by stock ep's driving all over the country with dickheads behind the wheel
than i dont wanna be a part of it

or if it mean riced out rides with the nicest people in the world
i would love to rep a site of a bunch of nice guys

i have made some great friends via "forums"

i have over 11k posts and about 3+years under my belt at Clubsi.com and been to over 75 meets and physically met over 200 members

actually driving 6 hours may 2 3 and 4 to deep in PA to chill at a hotel for a "carshow" with clubsi.com peeps from ohio and other states

THATS the beauty of these sites

i hope that someday i might swing down to Hondaman's crib and see the new baby etc etc

its a beautiful thing that a little civic brought us all together
but to pick it apart by a pissing contest
from someone who hasn't been here since its inception

= :(

trolls come and go
kids become men
and good members become moderators

and thats that

i think we have a good squad
and there are TONS of members that i would love to have as moderators here
and i know DTH see's exactly what i see when i view the boards

but this is like real life
u might not like your neighbors, your coworkers
shit u might even hate your family

but after all that shit

u can get into your car
that u work hard for
roll down the windows
turn up the tunes
and fucking cruise. . ... . . . . . :cool:

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 08:54 AM
whatever type x...I have all the mods I need, amost stock really, and I'm just as much of an ENTHUSIAST as anybody who happens to not have other productive habits that are more important to spend $$ on than their car. Listen to my song (signature) if you want to see what I did with my new music software/equipment. I chose that instead of buying mods with my most recently spent cash, because my car is f'ing hott just the way it is now! I can't get enough of it. Thats why I spend time at this site as an Si enthusiast.

Type X
04-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333
whatever type x...I have all the mods I need, amost stock really, and I'm just as much of an ENTHUSIAST as anybody who happens to not have other productive habits that are more important to spend $$ on than their car. Listen to my song (signature) if you want to see what I did with my new music software/equipment. I chose that instead of buying mods with my most recently spent cash, because my car is f'ing hott just the way it is now! I can't get enough of it. Thats why I spend time at this site as an Si enthusiast.

umm so why whatever type X?

where was the hostility in my post?

congrats on your music stuff
if thats what floats your boat great :)

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 08:58 AM
you said this:

i mean if the site has to be represented by stock ep's driving all over the country with dickheads behind the wheel
I guess that implied to me that I was a dickhead for being stock (basically).

But...wait...were you referring to other sites? i may have just misinterpreted...I think you were saying almost the same thing. At least i don't look stupid...everybody read something else now

esmith13
04-11-2003, 09:01 AM
why is everyone so god dammed sensitive these days???

Everyone is reading into everyones posts TOO much!

... We must all need to get laid or something... :angel:

Eric

Type X
04-11-2003, 09:02 AM
you said this:

I guess that implied to me that I was a dickhead for being stock (basically).

actually that retardedness is exactly what i am talking about
i didnt even read teh above posts

i was linked this thread by a fellow member

but i sense some insecuritie issues :)

jaydub
04-11-2003, 09:03 AM
I have to say I've been more or less impressed with the board, as far as content. If I have any gripes, it's with the physical appearance (or do I mean eyesore) of a red background, as well as the fact that both PaXiE and I suggested a car audio forum, and I was ignored for moderating duties. Whatever, I can move past things like that.

I feel like a lot of times, popular opinion is overlooked from a moderation/administration standpoint. Running a website is one thing, but if your visitors are all telling you one thing, and you ignore it and do another, it makes for some bitterness. I'll be the first to say I've been bitter since being overlooked and ignored on a couple really good ideas I had for this place.

There is always going to be an influx of "n00b" questions, that is a given. I think what sets us apart is that the mods are really trying to stick to their guns and show people the search feature. No member is held in a higher regard than any other. We're all peers here, and I don't see a lot of elitist attitudes, which is very nice. More often than not, it's the older and more experienced members who are the first to give their insight into someone's questions, and the camaraderie among members is some of the best I've seen. I just hope that with size, we don't become another ClubSi, because back when that was nothing more than a Yahoo group, it was fun.

Type X
04-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
No member is held in a higher regard than any other. We're all peers here

so true

and on a side note

i thought u were an audio mod?

jaydub
04-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Type X

so true

and on a side note

i thought u were an audio mod? Nope. I suggested the damn forum and wasn't made a mod. :D Don't get me wrong, I think Pax is a perfect mod for the forum, but nonetheless, I thought that was kinda shady.

Type X
04-11-2003, 09:19 AM
hmmmmm

:(

well there are a few key members here that just from random scanning of posts i see they could be great in certain forums

i always look for your posts in audio
for some hints / tips

i wish i was a bigger fish here to do some rearranging of everything

:cool:

jaydub
04-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Meh, I figure my time will come. Paxie even pushed for me to be a mod in there, not that it really needs moderation, per-se, but a lot of times people regard moderators as being more knowlegeable in a particular field, because that's their interest, just like 02SilverSiHB is into suspension junk, and 02blksi is into engine work.

BlasTech
04-11-2003, 09:37 AM
I'll politely entertain just about any question I can answer competently, and I'll ask one or two, too.

It still gets real hot when people are discussing more technical stuff too, like v-tec, tuning, thermodynamics, etc...

Lets just avoid making personal attacks, and everything will be cool.

IceD out N CALI
04-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
Meh, I figure my time will come. Paxie even pushed for me to be a mod in there, not that it really needs moderation, per-se, but a lot of times people regard moderators as being more knowlegeable in a particular field, because that's their interest, just like 02SilverSiHB is into suspension junk, and 02blksi is into engine work.

your time will come:) you deserve it. in either case, it doesnt matter if you're a mod or not, you're still one of the more knowledgable people in that category. like i tell people from time to time on the internet, dont weigh someones opinion more because they are a moderator or admiminstrator, weight it based on their knowledge not their internet "status";)

jaydub
04-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech

Lets just avoid making personal attacks, and everything will be cool. Absolutely. Of course, I've been guilty of it myself (I think we all used TrippZ as the butt of a joke at some point, though he took it like a man), but there's a time for joking around and calling someone your bitch, and there's really no place for calling someone a name when their approach or opinion differs from your own. If nothing else, namecalling and insults tarnish your own opinion and it makes it harder for people to take you seriously.

For example, on another car audio board of which I am a member, one long time member resorted to being condescending and making snide little remarks, and I politely informed him that even though his argument was valid, it was hard to even pay attention to him because of his attitude. So far everyone has been pretty positive, and that rocks.http://www.dubfusion.com/tehfunny/rock.gif

jaydub
04-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

dont weigh someones opinion more because they are a moderator or admiminstrator, weight it based on their knowledge not their internet "status";) So true. :cool:

SmoothOperator
04-11-2003, 09:56 AM
I think we need a "Pimpin 101" Section. And I'll be Moderator. lol :D

Kidding aside, seems like once every few months, everyone gets their stink on in here. I remember last time this happenned...bunch of threads popped up that contained nothing but venting and bitching. Then it subsided and became normal again. It's some sort of cycle........

Just waiting for it to return the way it should be.

digitldlnkwnt
04-11-2003, 11:41 AM
WOW im surprised at the turn out for this post...I though i was a bling man yellin in a closet but i guess some understand what im sayin' some dont get it, and some interpret differently.
As far as attitudes on whole...this forum IS a very friendly place.

My post is not limited to the few on this post who be snobs, but a kind of reality check for people who forget where they came.
Im not dissin the board, i hope no one got that from my post.

Thanks for all your comments and postings. It also gives me a better aspect for where most of you come from as well.

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 12:16 PM
its a fine line you have to walk...between standing your ground and not misinterpreting peoples statements. The majority of people on this forum will own up to such flames as being unecessary...but I've been trolled with so many times by both members and actual trolls....its hard not be confrontational sometimes.

esmith13
04-11-2003, 12:25 PM
cbecker3333,

Dude, your track is BANGIN'!!

I'm gonna hafta add that to one of my mp3 cds in my car dude...

That's a SERIOUS highway crusin' tune!!!!

Congrats! and thanks for the listen!!!

Sorry to post off topic, but I thought it was better here than a PM since the general public should know this track ROCKS!!!

Eric

digitldlnkwnt
04-11-2003, 12:50 PM
nice pics man....
Hope i can make the next meet..

esmith13
04-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks, hope to see you there too, the more the merrier!!

Eric

digitldlnkwnt
04-11-2003, 01:15 PM
I would at least like to get some new sneakers and springs for the car before i go ...(espec ially when importhookup has a deal on Volk GT-P rim 1500 w/ rubbers mounted and balanced) but i need a job...
ill show anyway time permiting..
peace

http://www.importhookup.com/wheeloptions/volkracingspecialgtngtpgta.htm

HondaMan
04-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Type X
I dont think its snobbery

but the point is when kids come here to verbally hate on other kids or not encourage other mod's to their cars
than that = wrong

than i dont wanna be a part of it

or if it mean riced out rides with the nicest people in the world
i would love to rep a site of a bunch of nice guys

i have made some great friends via "forums"

i have over 11k posts and about 3+years under my belt at Clubsi.com and been to over 75 meets and physically met over 200 members

actually driving 6 hours may 2 3 and 4 to deep in PA to chill at a hotel for a "carshow" with clubsi.com peeps from ohio and other states

THATS the beauty of these sites

i hope that someday i might swing down to Hondaman's crib and see the new baby etc etc

its a beautiful thing that a little civic brought us all together
but to pick it apart by a pissing contest
from someone who hasn't been here since its inception

= :(

trolls come and go
kids become men
and good members become moderators

and thats that

i think we have a good squad
and there are TONS of members that i would love to have as moderators here
and i know DTH see's exactly what i see when i view the boards

but this is like real life
u might not like your neighbors, your coworkers
shit u might even hate your family

but after all that shit

u can get into your car
that u work hard for
roll down the windows
turn up the tunes
and fucking cruise. . ... . . . . . :cool:

Well said bro! And your welcome to my crib anytime. The PA show is the first of May? Doh, I better start planning now so I can go. BTW, this is a great website/forum! :D

SmoothOperator
04-11-2003, 03:13 PM

Hey yeah that track's alright!! My roomate's a producer, and I have several friends that make music too (The Incredible Melting Man, Street Degree). Mostly breaks.
Here's my roomies gear!! Sometimes when we're wasted we rock the mic :D

cbecker333
04-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator

Hey yeah that track's alright!! My roomate's a producer, and I have several friends that make music too (The Incredible Melting Man, Street Degree). Mostly breaks.
Here's my roomies gear!! Sometimes when we're wasted we rock the mic :D
Hell yeah! I love to process the mic sound with delay effects (for example) and then say silly shit. I don't have any fancy producer equipment tho - just a phat usb sound card and fruityloops4 studio producer edition, cooledit.

always good to hear about other ppl creating good shit out there - tell your roomie to keep it up

streaker666
04-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Hey, keep up the good work...that's a good track you got there. Oh yeah, it reminds me of the European style dance music. I like the style...very much like Paul Van Dyk's music. If any of you want music for fast driving, try Van Dyk's music but a word of caution 'cuz it's dangerous with the cops around (I got two tickets at once with those music blasting). Lately, I've had the CDs (double disc) Politics of Dancing in my player...it gets you in the fast mood.

sniperSI
04-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by digitldlnkwnt
WOW im surprised at the turn out for this post...I though i was a bling man yellin in a closet but i guess some understand what im sayin' some dont get it, and some interpret differently.
As far as attitudes on whole...this forum IS a very friendly place.

My post is not limited to the few on this post who be snobs, but a kind of reality check for people who forget where they came.
Im not dissin the board, i hope no one got that from my post.

Thanks for all your comments and postings. It also gives me a better aspect for where most of you come from as well.

n00b..

j/k

sniperSI
04-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI

n00b..

j/k

Aye man i feel your pain. I'm broke as fuck and can't afford to mod my car right now. However i kinda like it because i watch what all these cat's do to their cars then see who has the best gains with what, by summer time my car will begin the transformation process. Hopefully the fasest n/a, then ill do turbo. But till then keep reading, and keep coveting :D if it wasnt for wanting something better then you have, then this country wouldnt be the great captilists society that it is ;D

cbecker333
04-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by streaker666
Hey, keep up the good work...that's a good track you got there. Oh yeah, it reminds me of the European style dance music. I like the style...very much like Paul Van Dyk's music. If any of you want music for fast driving, try Van Dyk's music but a word of caution 'cuz it's dangerous with the cops around (I got two tickets at once with those music blasting). Lately, I've had the CDs (double disc) Politics of Dancing in my player...it gets you in the fast mood.

The PVD politics of dancing cd kicks! I like to play rallysport challenge on xbox and listen to that....so tight. Keep it bumpin'

ssvr6
04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
JayDub, You can ask anyone, I also recommended you for the position of moderator. I would have just done it myself, but I didn't think that it would be looked highly upon.

If you you want to share your ideas on my site, I'd be more than happy to listen and would like your help moderating as well.

Steve

jaydub
04-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
JayDub, You can ask anyone, I also recommended you for the position of moderator. I would have just done it myself, but I didn't think that it would be looked highly upon.

If you you want to share your ideas on my site, I'd be more than happy to listen and would like your help moderating as well.

Steve

Steve - Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going to be sure to share my ideas with your site as well, because I think it's a very valuable resource for the technical side of things. :cool:

digitldlnkwnt
04-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI

Aye man i feel your pain. I'm broke as fuck and can't afford to mod my car right now. However i kinda like it because i watch what all these cat's do to their cars then see who has the best gains with what, by summer time my car will begin the transformation process. Hopefully the fasest n/a, then ill do turbo. But till then keep reading, and keep coveting :D if it wasnt for wanting something better then you have, then this country wouldnt be the great captilists society that it is ;D

Its sux not havin dough...but then again i have piles of time to watch products come out...get tested and then decide. Ive neer been one to jump-the-gun when moding my cars. The Si is new kinda deal...
For instance...did you know you can run the type-s head on our blocks?...with the STOCK computer. I saw it done at the ITR Expo in PA.
It was a CRV (k24) with the type-s head. This thing was movin'.
Besides....as far as parts go...theres always sumtin better poppin up an dby the time i have loot...ill be able to afford it

Jpax
04-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
I used to frequent "Club Si" for a long time as a guest and for a year or so as a member, before I heard about this place in their forums....

... Let me tell you... EPHATCH may have a few problems (all minor) but by no means is there a better, frendlier board that I have found having to do with ANY subject, hobby or profession!!!!!

... And let me tell you, I'm a network engineer and spend most of my day (when stuff ain't broke) hoaring around on forums and in chat rooms trying to entertain or educate myself...

And for that matter, my opinion should REALLY count since I consider my EP to be my first "worthy" car I have ever owned, and most everything I have learned about cars I have learned HERE in the past .... Oh, almost a year now...

I NEVER got ragged on...

I NEVER got shit on...

I NEVER got dissed for being a mid 20's male who didn't know what an exhaust header looked like or how a suspension setup worked and what each part was for.

Have you ever noticed that even the cocky smart assed people here STILL give you the curtousy of an answer????

Even if the answer is SEARCH -- 5 letters, starts with 'S', ends with 'H'....

... I'd bet you $100 most of them did the search themselves to make sure the info WAS available before telling you to do so. And the rest who didn't probably knew already because they posted the answers themselves to others in the forum in the past!!!

Get off it or get out.

Plain and simple.

DTH should start a contest, "The one who finds a friendlier site than EPHATCH wins $1,000"

No one would win. No one could win.

digitldlnkwnt,

You need to take a deep breath, and relax.
It dosen't get any better... It dosen't need to.

Nuff said... My fingers hurt.... :angel:

Eric.

Finally someone that gets it... :D

:cool: