PDA

View Full Version : ahhh swirl marks!!!!!

Blackapino85
04-10-2003, 08:54 PM
i have some fat swirl marks on my hood. i used a terry towel that said clear coat safe but i guess they lied. wut do i do?:(

ek9jdmhb
04-10-2003, 10:29 PM
you can do all you want. You're still going to get swirl marks. Ive tried 3 different polishes, cleaner wax's, and wax. Ive also used 100% cotton terry cloth, diaper clothes, microfiber towels, and expensive 100% cotton bath towels from nordstroms and i still get swirl marks. The best combo that i've used is 3m swirl remover for dark colored cars, 3m hand glaze (too hide swirls and give it a deep wet look), and meguirs hi tech yellow wax. and i wiped it all off with 100% cotton terry cloth

Blackapino85
04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
thanks for the advice. the meguiars cleaner wax worked ok. people don't notice it but since its my car i notice everything. haha!

AkronSi
04-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Also, I know this sounds stupid, but don't "swirl" your towel or wash mitt/sponge on your paint. Try to do everything in a front to back motion (like the air).

Then any marks you put in the paint will be straight lines instead of circular swirls. That way, they will only catch light from certain angles, instead of from every angle.

And I second ek9jdmhb about his products of choice.

esmith13
04-11-2003, 10:23 AM
I've had the most luck so far with the Mother's Three Step Wax System (4 step if you count their car wash).

NBP never looked so deep and glossy....

Eric.

mrfixit687
04-11-2003, 10:28 AM
ok guys, you get swirlmarks because in the process of washing/drying your car, some dirt got embedded in the spongue/towel so you're rubbing it against the paint and thats what produce swirl marks, heres my method that i use that significantly reduces the amount of swirl/towel marks.

washing: 2 buckets, 1 lambswool mitt, 1 sponge

fill one bucket half way with clean water, other bucket with your washing solution, you start washing from the top down with your lambswool mitt, wash the roof, and then before you dip down into the soap bucket, rinse off the mitt in the clean water bucket first, wash another part, rinse the mitt, etc. always wash it top to bottom. I use the sponge to wash the most bottom part of the car, like where the lip of the bumper, side, rear is, and the wheels. Wash the wheels last.

drying: 1 california waterblade, 3 meguiar's microfiber towel, 1 meguiars final inspection
use the waterblade(big ass silicone squeegee) to get most of the water off the car, top to bottom as always, get in your car, start it up and drive up and down the block to get all the hidden water out, then use the microfiber to start to dry your car while spraying final inspection on the towel or the car, always top to bottom. and then inside door, gas cap, hatch last.

always wash/dry with a strait line motion, dont do the wax on wax off kungfu movie shit

to get some swirls out you'll need to use a scratch remover solution together with a buffer.

here are some pics of my car after a 4 hour job, so tired =[
wash, dry, claybar, scratch remover, polish, wax

mrfixit687
04-11-2003, 10:29 AM