PDA

View Full Version : Anyone has experience with Meguiar's 3-step?

streaker666
04-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Step 1: Paint cleaner
Step 2: Polish
Step 3: Wax

I understand that the wax you apply and let dry before buffing off...what about the paint cleaner and the polish? Do I let that dry on the paint before buffing off? Or do I just apply the paint cleaner (polish) and wipe it off while it's still wet/moist?

Any help would be appreciated.

esmith13
04-11-2003, 01:08 PM
If it works like the Mother's 3 step I use, which has the same three components, you treat each of the three steps the same...

Apply to small area with circular motion...
Let dry to a white-milky haze...
Wipe off with clean cotton terrycloth towel, rotating to a clean section of towel frequently...

Finish whole car, on to next bottle/step.

However, I hear with the final step (the carnuba wax) that you actually get better results the longer you leave it dry on the car.

I would not recommend doing that with the first two steps, however....

Hope this helps,

Eric.

greenguy
04-11-2003, 02:14 PM
I love meguires! I use all gold class products. when the car has been freshly waxed, then gets dusty, just use a california car duster then use meguires quick detal and looks like you just waxed your car!
I also recomend california dash duster! works great!

esmith13
04-11-2003, 02:23 PM
I have the california dash duster.... fastest cleaning of my dash ever!!!

especially when you treat your dash with the right chemicals, and it's not really dirty again, just has a dust, hair, lint buildup..... 30 seconds and it's clean!!!!!

Eric

siver-SI
04-15-2003, 05:20 PM
I have used it on many cars. The cleaner works great but I would say get the clay bar too because I did not buy one and I have seen people who have and it does make for a better look. As for all 3 let it dry do a haze and it will come off with ease. For the wax I did 2 coats one by hand and one with my buffer and it looked great. I did not use the gold class though so if you get than one you might only need to do one coat.

i-WERKS
04-21-2003, 08:49 AM
I use the three step all the time.
I apply steps 1 and 2 with a orbital buffer and remove it by hand. I do it sections at a time as per the directions on the bottle.
For step 3. I cover the whole car and wait for the haze before removing.
I recently purchased scratch x and gold class wax.
I find that the deep crystal step 3 works much better than the gold class. It leaves a much smoother feel on the paint.
Scratch x removes swirls much better than step 1 for dark cars but i found that it must be applied by hand to get the full effect.

streaker666
04-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
I use the three step all the time.
I apply steps 1 and 2 with a orbital buffer and remove it by hand. I do it sections at a time as per the directions on the bottle.
For step 3. I cover the whole car and wait for the haze before removing.
I recently purchased scratch x and gold class wax.
I find that the deep crystal step 3 works much better than the gold class. It leaves a much smoother feel on the paint.
Scratch x removes swirls much better than step 1 for dark cars but i found that it must be applied by hand to get the full effect.

Man, speaking of ScratchX, I'm still crossing my fingers 'cuz I just bought a tube of it hoping that it can help get a rid of the fingernail scratches I have on my car... btw, how come you don't use your orbital buffer to buff off for Step 1 and 2? I just got a 6" o-buffer but haven't used it yet (too damn cold..or when it's warmer the forecast tells me that it'll rain that night!).

oogy-boogy
04-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Clay bar first and then do your 3 step process. You'll be amazed at how much the clay bar picks up.

Also, if at all available use the higher end Meguiars line. They come in tan bottles and are all numbered. Ive been using it for years.......can't find anything that comes close (for the price).

Take your time and enjoy....

siver-SI
04-22-2003, 05:44 PM
I called Miguiars monday and ordered their Concours Collection, a clay bar, and the Ultimate Organizer. My old car wash bag is falling apart so this one looked good. I have bought the metal polish #28 and that works see well on my tail pipes. Then I use the #36 wheel cleaner and that works wonders. This is my first time getting all the number bottle products and I can not wait to see how my car will look when done. I am betting it is going to be at least a full day project.

i-WERKS
04-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by streaker666

Man, speaking of ScratchX, I'm still crossing my fingers 'cuz I just bought a tube of it hoping that it can help get a rid of the fingernail scratches I have on my car... btw, how come you don't use your orbital buffer to buff off for Step 1 and 2? I just got a 6" o-buffer but haven't used it yet (too damn cold..or when it's warmer the forecast tells me that it'll rain that night!).

I didn't buy enough bonnets to remove each step. I find that when removing steps 1,2, or the wax causes the bonnets to get dirty very quickly. Once I'm finished with the hood, I already have to change the bonnet so i don't bother and just remove it by hand.
I have a 6" buffer as well.

SiR_d1
04-23-2003, 05:21 PM
you really go through that many bonnets? I personally haven't used my buffer yet, i plan to tommorrow, which will be the first time i totally detail my car! I plan on taking at least 6 hours to do the job, inside out. Also, in regards to meguires scratchx, it doesn't work! I bought it 2 days ago and I used it for 10 minutes than I returned it back to walmart. what a waste! My scratches werent even that deep, they were light scratches on the clearcoat and it couldn't even get it out! So word of warning, DONT BUY SCRATCH-X FROM MEGUIRES!

SiR_d1
04-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I was just curious as to how long it takes otehr people to use the 3 steop system on their car?

siver-SI
04-23-2003, 05:37 PM
When I do a full cleaning on my car it take me about 6-8 hours inside and out.

SiR_d1
04-23-2003, 05:43 PM
man, I'm totally not looking forward to tommorrow. I'm probably gonna wake up around 10am to start

siver-SI
04-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Number one thing that I can tell you is keep it inside or in the shade. If not that stuff dries and no time and it is a big pain in the butt to get off. Just though I would warn you.

SiR_d1
04-23-2003, 06:10 PM
your just talking about the pre-cleaner and polish right? because for the wax your suppose to leave it on for a while. How long do u leave the wax on before you buff it out?

streaker666
04-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Hey, another Toronto guy! cool.

Anyhow, I bought a tube of ScratchX last week in hopes that it will remove the scratches that are on my car...man, now you tell me it's no good? I'll be damned...#@$%!!!!

siver-SI
04-23-2003, 07:25 PM
The wax you will be able to tell by color and how easy it comes off. The best thing it to test it because the color is diffrent it seems for each color car that I have done and with black I was able to tell by my eye that it was getting dry. Best thing to do though is get you clean towl and after a few see if it is coming off easy if not let it sit longer. Just do a few small test areas. I would say though do two coats of the wax on you will love the diffrence it makes. As for the first two yea that is what I was talking about with the sun because they are a pain to get off when fully dry. The wax some times will not stick right if dries to fast so make sure the keep it out of the sun too.

SiR_d1
04-23-2003, 08:11 PM
thanks for your help siver-SI,

Hey streaker666 where in T.O. are you located? and what mods have you done?

i-WERKS
04-24-2003, 05:52 AM
i find that it takes a lot of elbow grease for scratch x to work. I used it on half my hood to compare and I really see the difference.
You really have to work it into the paint then remove.

streaker666
04-24-2003, 06:35 AM
i-WERKS...elbow grease? How does that work? Could you share with us how you go about doing this? Thanks.

SiR_d1...I'm down in the dumps, Scarborough. And no, haven't got mods on my car yet...since I'll be unemployed as of this Friday (contract ends) and I have to go back to school for another term to finish off my research paper (tuition :'( ) I have to manage my finances carefully. Education sucks money from me like crazy...just an hour ago my school called me that I'll have to pay full-time fees instead of part-time fees this summer, so my original plan of getting Koni's has been shot to death for now...unless I can find a job before the summer ends.

i-WERKS
04-24-2003, 08:22 AM
streaker666 i mean really rub the stuff in not like wax where you just cover the surface. Trust me it works great. Just take a look

streaker666
04-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks i-WERKS...I'll give it a try when the weather becomes nicer outside. so a lot of force with the ScratchX.

SiR_d1
04-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Do any of you guys have water spots on your windows? b/c I do and I can't seem to get them off. Do any of you guys know a method of removing them?

oogy-boogy
04-26-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
Do any of you guys have water spots on your windows? b/c I do and I can't seem to get them off. Do any of you guys know a method of removing them?

Hit it up with some Clear View spray. Should take care of it and it's also safe on tint.

One small tip for you guys: When waxing, be sure to wax your windows as well. It makes a huge difference on rainy days as the water will bead right off. Also, be sure to use at least 2 coats of wax on your front bumper and headlights. It makes it a lot easier to clean off those nasty dead bugs. You'll be able to just spray them off with your hose instead of scrubbing and messing up the clearcoat.

Accordexcpe95
04-26-2003, 07:42 AM
i have a question..let say i am gonna use the meguiar's 3-step and scratch-x.. when do i use scratch-X? before Polish or after Wax?? :confused:

streaker666
04-26-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Accordexcpe95
i have a question..let say i am gonna use the meguiar's 3-step and scratch-x.. when do i use scratch-X? before Polish or after Wax?? :confused:

Scratch-X comes after the wash, before the paint cleaning, polishing, and waxing. Since I believe the Scratch-X is a little more abrasive than the paint cleaner, it seems to make more sense to use the S-X on the paint right after the wash (after you dry the area).