PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain angled exhausts to me?

jaydub
04-11-2003, 04:29 PM
What ever happened to the good ol' Greddy SP looking exhausts? :'(

I really dig the HKS, but I don't care for the angled tip.

fishboy
04-11-2003, 04:43 PM
angled = sweetness n power yo:D

seriously, some companies are trying to pitch that the velocity of the exhaust is faster with an angled muffler. i think that's crap. i do like the hks though. you gotta see it up close.:)

AznPower
04-11-2003, 05:34 PM
basically just a different style. its a big trend in japan i believe. i got my n-1 angled

mental
04-11-2003, 06:13 PM
this is kinda hard to explain but its for more than just asthetic reasons... for many of the high power cars in japan they run the exhuast under the rear for examly the silvia or as we have here 204sx and well running a exhuast with a lot of kinks in it is bad for "flow", but as well you cant have the muffler dangling only and inch off the ground so the solution is as follows... run the exhuast under the axle the instead of making the piping bend up then again bend out then aswell ad a muffler... just bend the pipe at an angle and give it a straight thru flow muffler... and the best example of that is... any of the TOP name brand companies N1 exhuast.. companies like hks, apex-i and, 5zigen... but aswell for our cars.. well its not neccesary but hell it looks really fuken cool!

ep pilot
04-11-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm with the author of this post, I don't understand why companies like HKS, Greddy can't make a very stealthy, clean looking aftermarket exhaust system. I would buy a Greddy in a heart beat for my Si, if it looked as simple and clean as the kit I put on my '91 Integra GS, low noise, nicel clean polished look and a simple oval tip. I really preffer the set up I originally had on that car, which was an HKS. Looked just like the stock twin pipes, but had small holes around the tips, also hardly louder than stock, except I will never buy an HKS system again. After five years of driving my two-piece! system entirely rusted, falling off the car, yes it was a $650+ bolt on kit, not welded at a shop!!!

I would like to see Greddy fab a stock looking exhaust for our cars, that houses small twin pipes, either raw finished or polished and attatch it to a polished muffler that fits in the stock location. and have it only heared around 4.5-5k. I would glady pay about $450-500 for a kit like this.

-Ryan

Mugen Power
04-11-2003, 08:49 PM
I know all about those slight advantages of angled exhaust but I don't like them either. I'd like a clean, simple dual tip please. :)

MugenR
04-12-2003, 08:41 AM
The reason for angled exhaust is less back presure. It's really good on a Turbo charged car where you want as little back presure as posible.
Its angled because it lets the pipes from the Turbo back be straight with very few bends.
The angled look is a by product of the exhaust companies Attempting to drop back presure to improve performance.

jaydub
04-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by MugenR
The reason for angled exhaust is less back presure. It's really good on a Turbo charged car where you want as little back presure as posible.
Its angled because it lets the pipes from the Turbo back be straight with very few bends.
The angled look is a by product of the exhaust companies Attempting to drop back presure to improve performance.

Yeah, and less backpressure can also mean a DROP in horsepower. I don't believe that having an angled exhaust system on a NON TURBO car is beneficial. Hell, I don't even believe it's beneficial on a TURBO car, my best friend's ITR turbo has a HKS titanium can on it, certainly isn't angled up either. I think it's a fad and (hopefully) it'll fade, the same way a lot of fads pass. I do recall a time when clear taillights or even altezza's weren't regarded as "ugly"...

BTW, your sig is a bit much... ;)

03hatch
04-30-2003, 11:58 AM
its JDM man