PDA

View Full Version : Spring question

Marcivi
04-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Okay, just another question to add to the myriad of questions already asked.....

For someone, like myself, that isn't very automotively inclined, would it be better to just pay money to get spring installed?

Or.....

Find someone that is automotively inclined, get the right tools and put springs on?

Here are my options....

I could drive about 300 miles, round trip, to a place in Everett, WA and have Tein springs put on for $200 (it's a special that they were doing for the HIN. Don't know all the details), go to Les Schwab and have an Eibach Pro Kit (1 inch front, 1.1 inch rear) put on for almost $500 (springs, labor, alignment, all you can eat pop-corn) or $239 for Eibach springs and put them on myself and probably taking all day since I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Kind of a 2 part post. Just let me know what you think.

-Jack

02SilverSiHB
04-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Marcivi
Okay, just another question to add to the myriad of questions already asked.....

For someone, like myself, that isn't very automotively inclined, would it be better to just pay money to get spring installed?

Or.....

Find someone that is automotively inclined, get the right tools and put springs on?

Here are my options....

I could drive about 300 miles, round trip, to a place in Everett, WA and have Tein springs put on for $200 (it's a special that they were doing for the HIN. Don't know all the details), go to Les Schwab and have an Eibach Pro Kit (1 inch front, 1.1 inch rear) put on for almost $500 (springs, labor, alignment, all you can eat pop-corn) or $239 for Eibach springs and put them on myself and probably taking all day since I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Kind of a 2 part post. Just let me know what you think.

-Jack
well, for 500 you're getting everything you need on the same day (I assume), so I'd go that option, it's not bad at all. Although that price for the eibachs...239 seems high. Are they really that expensive?? Crazy. I bought my progress for 129. I'm sure you wouldn't be interested in those since you're looking for a small drop, but just in case, here's a pick of my car with progress:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/pb45e2606b7ec29b24e148dbaa6b962dd/fcc6b69d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/pc45df9f8b6a78a5aa6e4f7ac9dd8e221/fcb0b68e.jpg

Marcivi
04-12-2003, 11:12 AM
How much of a drop did those Progressives give you?

The $239 that I quoted wasn't for Eibachs I don't think. It might have been some others brand.

The thing is, the Les Schwab guys didn't know if the Eibachs they have will go on my car. I think I'll go with them since I already have a customer/mechanic relationship with them. They put on my wheels and will probably do my breaks too.

-Jack

Marcivi
04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm going with a set of Tein springs, 1.3" front, 1.4" rear. $230 installed and they have an on-site Dyno.

02SilverSiHB
04-12-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Marcivi
I'm going with a set of Tein springs, 1.3" front, 1.4" rear. $230 installed and they have an on-site Dyno.
The progress gives a 1.8" drop up front and a 1.5" drop in the rear.

Tein is a good set to go with those. It gives a good drop also and that sounds like a good deal for 230 for the springs and installed....I'd go for it.

NMTSi
04-12-2003, 02:57 PM
300 miles of driving isn't that bad (acually, it's not much at all), especially when you have the motivation of $200 teins installed.

don't suppose you have any friends in the Everett area?

Marcivi
04-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Actually, I was wrong. The place is in Kent, WA. Place called IntecRacing. 7405 S. 212th St. Suite 101. 253-872-0872. www.intecracing.com (under construction)

If I violate some advertising rule, just delete this and if it's gone, PM me and get you the info.

As for friends in Everett, I have none there. I'm in Certral Washington.

NMTSi
04-15-2003, 06:40 AM
too bad you don't have any friends out that way. it would make for a good excuse to visit them. i don't think kent is as nice a place as everette (but, then, i never actually did more in kent than drive past it).

if you're in central washington (which i'm almost positive is east of the mountains), do you notice a power boost when you drive to the seattle area? (have you driven to the seattle area yet with your car?)

i'm not gonna be able to make use of that deal in Kent, i'm stuck in socorro all summer for a job (but, it's lightning research, should be fun). i wish i could get back to WA for more than 2 weeks at a time.

Dunrick
04-15-2003, 08:00 AM
I got my Teins installed in Bellevue, thats even less of a drive for you. The place is R Sports, they installed mine for 130. You dont need alignment at all...you need to set up an appointment, let them know your coming from Yakima etc etc...mention you got the 02 si.

Marcivi
04-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I go tthem installed on Sunday. They were real friendly about it to. Good to see that the "Sport" of import tuning hasn't seen much in the way of discrimination.

As for noticing a difference driving on the west side....I noticed while taking I-405 to the Sea-Tac airport one early morning that the "V-Tec" range seemed broader. LIke I barely had to get on the gas in 5th to get +10mph. I like driving 405 too. Real smooth, good, gentle corners and a lot of ups and downs. Hopefully, I can take my EP to San Diego via US-101 again like I took my '91 'Lude.

Pics to come when I get a nice sunny day over here. Been raining and shitty lately. Good thing I finally cleaned out the garage.

-Jack

P.S. Springs to be added to sig here in a sec.