PDA

View Full Version : skunk 2 weighted SHIFT KNOB

team ERA 5
04-13-2003, 11:58 PM
are weighted (heavy) shift knobs bad for our cars because our stick is inclined...i wanted to purchase the SKUNK 2 one but i was afraid it would mess up my SYNCOS because of its weight...is this something to worry about???

BlairSpeed
04-14-2003, 10:01 AM
In my old car ('91 240sx) the stock shift nob was really heavy and over the years it made the gear box really sloppy. Eventually, teh shifter would wobble all around and bug the hell out of me. I finally bought a new lite weight, leather shifter and it made a world of difference, plus it made shifting alot easier. I think weighted shifters are a bad idea in my opinion.

SubliminalSi
04-14-2003, 02:29 PM
I dont think its heavy enough to mess anything up. Ive had one for awhile and it works great

chunky
04-14-2003, 07:16 PM
the weight is intended to counterbalance the shifting effort so you can basically throw the shifter into gear. it helps reduce the chance of missing a gear b/c you didn't push/pull the lever all the way into gear.

the weight of the knob is nominal. it can't hurt anything.

i find it hard to believe that going from a heavy knob to a lighter knob made any difference in the shifting. sloppy shifter feel over time is usually due to worn shift linkage bushings/cables/springs.

RMC22
04-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by chunky
the weight is intended to counterbalance the shifting effort so you can basically throw the shifter into gear. it helps reduce the chance of missing a gear b/c you didn't push/pull the lever all the way into gear.

the weight of the knob is nominal. it can't hurt anything.

i find it hard to believe that going from a heavy knob to a lighter knob made any difference in the shifting. sloppy shifter feel over time is usually due to worn shift linkage bushings/cables/springs.

+1 for chunky.

jtyler05si
05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
sorry to bring this old thing back but i was going to ask about this and found this while searching.

Someone stated the weight is nominal.... i hope meaning while the stick is inactive with no one shifting it...

can any one back this up... i got into an argument with my dad because he thinks a heavier knob especially in my car will put strain on the synchros....

RedSiBaron
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
sorry to bring this old thing back but i was going to ask about this and found this while searching.

Someone stated the weight is nominal.... i hope meaning while the stick is inactive with no one shifting it...

can any one back this up... i got into an argument with my dad because he thinks a heavier knob especially in my car will put strain on the synchros....

thats halarious...tell your dad he should go and take a look at how a transmission works...tell him that our transmission was supposed to have a weighted knob on the shifter, thats what the type r had...ive tried EVERY knob i have or can get my hands on from friends or just cheap (its more of a fun thing i do, i havnt tried to compare all the knobs on the market or some dumb shit, i just have access to a lot of knobs, sheesh haha)

I havnt found any that are as heavy as the type r knob, or shifts as smooth in our car...i havnt tried the skunk 2, or BC knobs, but ive tried a mugen, 2 other honda generation knobs, a gti knob, a bmw knob, 2 custom aluminum knobs in the same style as the type r, just about 3/4 the size, and none were as nice or as weighted as the type r knob...

so basicly hes wrong about the syncros, im not going to go into how rediculous that is, but your hands down backup proof is that the car was designed originally to have one :mwink:

jtyler05si
05-14-2008, 10:59 AM
well thank you sir.... mind telling me how much i can get one for?

i know i could search but i figured i try.... my lunch is about over.

thisisagame24
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
i have the skunk2 for over 2 years now and i love it esp after i installed the BCSS. its amazing short smooth throws with very minimal (sp) effort to shift. i got my skunk2 knob for like $50

Kodeen
05-14-2008, 11:51 AM
The stock shift knob is pretty weighty. I wouldn't worry about it.

RedSiBaron
05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
well thank you sir.... mind telling me how much i can get one for?

i know i could search but i figured i try.... my lunch is about over.

shop around, i think there was one up in the classifieds...at worst buy it from www.jdmland.com

jtyler05si
05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
The stock shift knob is pretty weighty. I wouldn't worry about it.

i thought it was pretty light....are you saying dont worry about buying a new one or dont worry about the weight/synchro issue?

talonXracer
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
The Skunk2 weighted shift knob is something like 440 grams, stock is something in the sub75gram range. I had it on for a year or so untill I found the S2000 leather wrapped knob was the same weight and felt alot better with the leather wrap in the summer and winter.

jtyler05si
05-14-2008, 12:10 PM
The Skunk2 weighted shift knob is something like 440 grams, stock is something in the sub75gram range. I had it on for a year or so untill I found the S2000 leather wrapped knob was the same weight and felt alot better with the leather wrap in the summer and winter.

awesome...weight of stock, exactly what i wanted to know....

thanks, man..

ts ep3
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
a heavier knob allows for a more effortless shift and if your lazy like me it means less work. :sleep:

Rep
05-14-2008, 01:22 PM
awesome...weight of stock, exactly what i wanted to know....

thanks, man..
Also look at the BLOX shift knobs, they're identical to the Skunk2's and are priced lower.

BLOX makes tons of good Honda stuff but are rather unknown when it coems to 2001+ Honda stuff so that may be why you might not have heard of them.

v1c10us
05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
it will wear on the little white ball in your shifter, but thats it.
It sits there with weight on it wiggling back and forth with much more force behind it than with a light knob, slowly scratching into that little white ball. But you can get a new one when yours finally fucks up
Those of you with these heavy knobs should look inside your shifters and look at your white ball and see how scraped up it is.

thetunersource
05-14-2008, 05:12 PM
ive been using a shift knob thats gotta be like a pound and a half, maybe more, it weighs a ton and it feels great.

beechstreet
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM

AP1 or AP2? thanks

sinful
05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
i have it and i don't think it'll cause you any problems. i personally find that i can shift gears much more smoother..

socmex7
05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
i have the skunk 2 knob, i love the weight on it :mbiggrin:. i also love the way it feels in my hand, the only downside it that it gets hot in the day and it kinda cold in the morning... nothing to big tho... just remember to get the ctr boot... i don't think the stock one would work very well...