PDA

View Full Version : vintage porsche

snubnose
07-30-2002, 03:03 AM
Basically I took what might have been my farewell ride in my black Honda Si this morning at 4:30 am.

I have been thinking about trading it for a Type S, a car that's supposed to be cooler.

The 02 Si is a much despised looking car, in fact, 7 and 8 page threads are devoted to its appearance; it is supposed to be a shame to own one.

But as I drove my Si in the cool of the dark morning, three things stood out as always for me:

1. The clean, instant acceleration, even with the AC on.

2. The wonderful interior- leather wrapped wheel, leather shift stick, and perfect simple controls and buttons.

3. The feeling I always get that this is what driving a vintage Porsche must feel like, a feeling of quality and enjoyability.

I hope I don't get seduced somehow into selling my rare Si. I know I would kick myself for it the rest of my life.

I wish I didn't have to go to work today. I have this urge to wax it and love it.

Mechanic
07-30-2002, 04:30 AM
Vintage Porsche? You want a vintage Porsche?

I love the 356s. Grew up w/up 'em; owed a '58 Porsche Speedster twice (same car; long story). They are definitely fun cars. They are also (relatively) easy to work on. But, having said that, don't get too carried away with Porsche folklore and ballads. The parts are hideously expensive and always have been. (The thing that used to piss me off most was Porsche's habit of restamping VW parts with a Porsche # and selling them for up to ten times the cost. For example, the starter motor on the 356A's is a VW part. In 1970, Porsche wanted over $100 for one. The same (VW) part was $12.)

In any event, you made the right choice in deciding to keep your Si. Among the other things you'll continue to enjoy is its acceleration. Porsche's hottest 356, the Super 90, took about 12 seconds to get to 60 mph. You're there in seven. You can also take great comfort in knowing that your Honda won't try to kill you each and every time you drive it in the rain.

02SilverSiHB
07-30-2002, 04:35 AM
dude, don't get rid of your car! Just get a body kit if looks thing bothers you.

DynaSpeed
07-30-2002, 05:53 AM
The clean, instant acceleration, even with the AC on. I wish I felt the same way... I try not to even run my a/c just cuz I hate the way it robs me of power.

I hope I don't get seduced somehow into selling my rare Si. I know I would kick myself for it the rest of my life. I *DEFINITELY* agree.

smapzy
07-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Talk about old car....man, I really wanna get or build a 70's open top Mustang... any idea of how much it's gonna cost?

SmoothOperator
07-30-2002, 12:47 PM
snubnose,
There's a HUGE career for you in poetry and/or writing. So get out there and earn tonnes of money. That way you can afford an RSX-S AND an Si. ;)

JSIR
07-30-2002, 06:52 PM
the new Si a great driving experience, the thing that sold me was the great interior - seats, steering wheel, shifter, basic layout. Add to that the solid chasis , quick steering, nice handling, and responsive engine, adds up to a great car. Unfortunately few people have really driven one so they tend to focus on cosmetic b.s. . This car actually drives pretty strong with the A/C on, much better than other Hondas of the past. I traded in a 175whp 99 Civic SiR for this car and never looked back. A lot of the old b-series lovers from just wont give the new k20's respect, even the RSX-S engine is talked down upon, don't waste your time trying to convince idiots, life's too short for that, you can put that 30 seconds towards something more useful such as waxing your new baby.