PDA

View Full Version : How to approach dealership...

efcee
08-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Alright im still looking at the same hatch and last time i checked the price was 18,172 or near that. i wanna go in and get the lowest price possible probably like everyone buying a car. But i dont have much experience with dealerships ive only bought a car from a friend of mine heh it was a steal i got a 93 dodge shadow with 70000 miles for 50 bucks :D . anyway think i would be able to talk them down to like 16 or something near that cause the car has been there since the 02's first came out? and think i should trade my car in when i purchase the new one?.... i checked the kbb and it shows my shadow as worth about 2000.00 but everyone says dealerships rip you off big time on trade ins so i dont know if should just sell the car privately or what. what are some pointers on what i should tell the dealer or how i should approach him on trying to get a lower price and about how big of down payment any of you put down???

thanks

2k2civicSi
08-04-2002, 08:21 PM
if you dont like the price just leave and they will call you and make a deal if they even let you walk out they are pressed to sell the car im sure

02SilverSiHB
08-04-2002, 08:23 PM
When you go there, they will say something like, hello! are you looking for a new car/can I help you,etc.

First thing, take a list with you, like go to www.cars.com and print out a list of cars you like. Even if you're not going to get any of them, except the Si. This way you can tell them you've been doing some research. And this car is one of them on your list. They will most likely say that Honda is great, Honda this and that. And then ask what it is in a car you are looking for. Say price and equipment with the cars is your biggest thing. The best deal you can get will put you in the car. Start at about 1000 grand below invoice, if there is any haggling, some dealerships don't have that. I know 1000 is alot below, but hey, these cars aren't selling like pancakes. Don't argue with him if he says no way! Just keep trying and be nice and let him know you are calm and not in a hurry. This way he won't think you want this car more than anything in the world. Let him know you have other options. That's about the best I can do. Oh and when the deal is about to close and you have a great deal, ask for free stuff, like mats,and cargo nets. Tell them to throw in things like that at the end, and that will help you make a solid decision on buying the car.

Burgh
08-04-2002, 08:52 PM
Another good thing to do is to call a few dealerships and get a quote over the phone. You can make them fight each other for your business that way.

Also, check the inventory list (online) of any dealerships. If they have a LOT of Si's on their parking lot then you'll probably have a better chance of getting a good deal. A local dealership here in L.A. had NINETEEN on inventory last time I checked. Think they'll be itchin' to get those off their hands?

efcee
08-04-2002, 09:59 PM
seems like this is the only dealership with a 02 si near me or in MN practically i dont seen them anywhere i havnt even seen one driving on the road yet ive only seen them in park at the dealership
there are 2 there so i guess that makes it better than them just having 1 thanks for the help so far

so what do you think is a pretty good price to start at that will give me a good deal but not blow away the dealer and have them all like "no way" is 16 too low? how about 17?
i dont remember if i said this earlier or not but the car is already marked down to 18,172
and think i should trade in my old car on it

and how much did any of you put in for a down payment and what kind of financing did some of you get this dealership

http://www.mankatohonda.com has like 4.9% for 60 months and thats probably the plan i'll be going with...

insomniac
08-04-2002, 10:54 PM
Is Mankato Honda a car dealership or a motorcycle dealership? If you search the new inventory on their website, they have way more atvs/motorcycles than civic, accords.....why not try one of the other dealers in the twin cities area? A lot of dealers are starting negotiations in the 17's, I wouldn't even counter-offer if the first price thrown out was in the 18's.

efcee
08-05-2002, 06:52 AM
ive been to the dealership they have many cars a medium sized lot full i havnt seen any motorcycles outside there they have have some inside or something

you suggest i go to the cities and look around.... i may try burnsville honda
so 17's would be a pretty good price?

and how much did anyone put down for a downpayment?
what kind of financing does anyone have?

efcee
08-05-2002, 02:52 PM
i was planning on going to burnsiville honda to see what they had but fuh plans changed ima have to go some other day cause i have to work

do dealerships have any kind of promotional book or anything they give you about the si? i want to go ask them for one
hmm i got some insurancy quotes
ill probably be paying for this car for 5 yrs more than likely depends on how big of a downpayment i put down i want to be close to 10,000 or so but prob wont come close to that i dont know..

efcee
08-06-2002, 05:34 PM
bump bump

any tips at all anyone else got some useful input for me? kthx

I-4Si
08-06-2002, 08:28 PM
you can do some research thru autobytel and edmunds.com.
I think the price you posted is a pretty good one. I was happy paying 17-8 for mine which is the invoice price. once you have a price you can shop it around to see if another dealer will beat it or throw in some extras. One of your best bargaining tools is walking out the door.

civic hatch boi
08-06-2002, 08:44 PM
i didn't even try to bargain at all... i didn't kare, i just wanted the car. got it for invoice... that was the set price so it was easy for me :)

Rummey
08-06-2002, 09:27 PM
Hey efcee, I live in Minnesota and I bought my 2002 Si from the Bloomington Honda...

efcee
08-07-2002, 12:52 AM
where in MN do you live? ive never been to bloomington honda
Only mankato honda and burnsiville honda i havnt been to burnsville in a while though i still have to go and check out prices

you seen any dealerships with a surplus of si's? whats the lowest price in or around MN you've seen?

Rummey
08-07-2002, 09:06 PM
I live in Afton, MN, which is south of Stillwater. Last time I went to the dealer they had a gold, black, and silver. I got raped, I paid 21K. I have no idea of other prices. SORRY!

efcee
08-08-2002, 11:35 AM
i dont think ive ever been there

ever been around waseca? its between owatonna and mankato