PDA

View Full Version : full time side markers

jdm03ep
04-15-2003, 12:55 AM
is their any way that i can make my side markers stay on all of the time but still blink when i turn?

jdm03ep
04-17-2003, 11:53 PM
damn is it that easy. thanks for all of the repliesj/k but really help me out because i really want to do this:'(

BarracksSi
04-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Either someone here or their friend has done this, but I'll be darned if they said just how they did it.

Plus, the original filament bulbs will get too hot for the housing (the plastic would melt.. not a problem if it's just blinking), so you'd need to use LED bulbs.

LordKoo
04-19-2003, 12:08 PM
no way the factory bulb going to melt that plastic housing!

BarracksSi
04-21-2003, 07:38 AM
If the server wasn't so messed up lately, I could've found an earlier thread that discussed this very topic.

But, yeah, apparently the bulb gets hot enough to mess with the plastic housing. It might be possible to have it run at a lower, cooler wattage, then blink at the normal wattage.

It's more work that I know, so I' d keep an eye open for the search function to start working again, and one of us will find the older thread.

Z-49
05-13-2003, 03:43 PM
I've done it. it's e-z. comes on with the parking lites.

glw
05-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Z-49
I've done it. it's e-z. comes on with the parking lites. please, do tell. how'd you do it?

i have the service manual and can't see any way without rewiring.

according to the manual the side turn signal bulb only has a ground (BLK) and power (GRN with RED stripe) that only becomes power when either the turn signal is switched or the hazard switch is pressed.

i have figured out a way you can get it to be lit when lights are on and blink from lit to brighter lit when turn signal is on. to do this all you would need is to tap into the front side marker (the one in the bumper) and run it back to the new connector for the side turn signal. the two filaments would share the existing ground and the existing power (GRN with RED stripe) would light the turn portion and the new power (RED with YEL stripe) would light when the lights are switrched on.

to do this you would need to find a three lead connector the same size as the existing side turn signal and a two filament bulb that fits in the connector. i'll stop by the auto parts store later and see if something is available.

ps: the lights are officially called side turn signals in the manual.

glw
05-13-2003, 07:09 PM
ok, i can't seem to find a dual filament 194 wedge bulb anywhere. it appears that this mod would take more than i'm willing to perform myself...

Z-49
05-14-2003, 12:50 PM
i'm sorry i miss read your question. i did it to the one next to the headlight. i will post pics soon. i also added lights to factory tail light. pics soon too. the small 194 bulbs, side marker light, why would you want to. it's made so that blind stupid ppl can see to change lanes. you can wire it to stay on and blink, but it will burn out faster and cost is not worth it in the long run.

glw
05-14-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Z-49
i'm sorry i miss read your question. i did it to the one next to the headlight. i will post pics soon. i also added lights to factory tail light. pics soon too. the small 194 bulbs, side marker light, why would you want to. it's made so that blind stupid ppl can see to change lanes. you can wire it to stay on and blink, but it will burn out faster and cost is not worth it in the long run. oh, cool... would like to see the info on the rears... i was just trying to help jdm03ep out. i know a little about electronics stuff and figured i'd give back to fellow ephatchers...