PDA

View Full Version : Koni shocks UPDATE ::Good news::

ChapSchtick
04-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Got a response back from the man at Koni,

"Scott,

The listing that you saw was from www.koni.com. This is the European listing and is for the Type R in Europe. The Si uses the same dampers as the standard Civic application which are part numbers
Front: 8641 1416 Sport
Rear: 8041 1281 Sport

This has been test fitted and known to work with the Si. Thanks for writing.

Gordon"

looks good to me, now just to put it to work...:)

streaker666
04-15-2003, 07:02 AM
So now that it's known Koni has shocks for the Si, do they have a full suspension kit? If not, what would be the best springs to go with those Koni's?

greenguy
04-15-2003, 07:12 AM
They still need to be modified right?

Originally posted by ChapSchtick

"Scott,

The listing that you saw was from www.koni.com. This is the European listing and is for the Type R in Europe. The Si uses the same dampers as the standard Civic application which are part numbers

Gordon"

02SilverSiHB
04-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by ChapSchtick

"Scott,

Gordon"

koni has always had shocks for us. They still need to be modified in the front...not good news
That's why if you go to the site on koni it says that it has to be used with the stock struts...

Here is what it says on Koni's site for the front (the part number you gave):
Civic types EU7, EU8, EU9, EP1, EP2 excl.

Mugen_EP
04-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Good e-mail! I bet you got their attention. I have Koni's in the rear and waiting/hoping for the fronts that I don't have to modify. If not I guess I'll have to get the ones that are available and mod the fronts.

fsugatorbait
04-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Damn for a minute you guys had me goin with this, i thought that Koni had actually come out with a direct replacement and then...:'(
Mike, keep us posted with there response to your email.

CleanBlackSi02
04-15-2003, 09:07 AM
This is old news man...I want something I DON'T have to MODIFY!!!! Grrrrrrr...

TEKBRAIN
04-15-2003, 10:03 AM
EU7, EU8, EU9, EP1, EP2 are all Civic hatchbacks
and the RSX Type-S uses the Koni shocks for the EP3 Type-R

The Si/SiR should be called a EP2.5...

02SilverSiHB
04-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Okay, the guy replied and basically just spank me :D
He says I was at the wrong site, but I clicked on the NA (North american tab...mabe something went wrong there)
Any way, the suspension on the type r is different....I confused :(

Here's his reply....and notice what he says about Honda taking a step backwards:

Mike,

The initial problem is that you were looking at the European web site www.koni.com and not the North American site www.koni-na.com. The offereing of cars is a bit different over there so we list it differently and do not use the chassis codes as it can casue as much confusion as it can solve. Had you clicked on the American flag on their web site, it would have switched you over to our site.

In North America, the normal model Civic and the Civic Si from 2001+ use front part number 8641-1416 Sport and rear part number 8041-1281 Sport. Damper wise, these cars are the same and require the same parts. The North American Acura RSX and the European Civic Type R are different dimensionally from the Civic and Civic Si and they require the front part number 8610-1415 Sport and rear part number 8010-1050 Sport. Do not try to mix these as they will not fit or work properly as they are not the same by any major dimension or valving. Both front dampers are the cut-a-strut style McPherson strut insert that go inside the factory housing. It is unfortunate that Honda chose to take a step backwards in going with the strut housing again after not using them for 15 years but we have to work within what they give us. Having additionally put the steering arm on the factory strut, All of the units that I have mentioned are externaly rebound damping adjustable on the car and carry a lifetime warranty against defects and wear out to the origianl purchaser for as long as he owns the car registered for street use.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,
Lee Grimes
KONI North America

EP33
04-15-2003, 04:03 PM
You all are missing out on some good dampers. Installing the front Koni's is not THAT bad. You can do it!!! :)

I originally thought I wouldn't be changing the firmness of the Konis before I purchased them. Now, I am experimenting with the adjustment all of the time. If I load up the car with stuff or people, I'll crank'em up a couple of adjustment knob "clicks", Car still rides stiff and I'm (SAFELY) passing people on the outside of on/off ramps It's pretty fackin cool man !!!:D

Do you know what it's like to travel at freeway speeds and hit bumps/dips without bouncing??? I'm talking a nice suspension compression movement, and back up to regular height PERIOD. Unless I soften them up . . . then it'll bounce once.

Still (one of) the way(s) to go for me, until Bilstein gets their product out, then I may sell these. . . .

You really can't appreciate them until they're on your car.

siver-SI
04-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Ok I am wondering why is everyone going so nuts over these shocks? Just wondering since I am looking for upgrades to put on a list of things to do. These will be a year or two down the road though I bet.

02SilverSiHB
04-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok I am wondering why is everyone going so nuts over these shocks? Just wondering since I am looking for upgrades to put on a list of things to do. These will be a year or two down the road though I bet.
I guess because we have to cut the stock front struts to make the koni fit. So we were hoping that there is a complete replacement...although...if EP33 continues to have good results...I guess I'll have no choice but to break down and buy them.

TEKBRAIN
04-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok I am wondering why is everyone going so nuts over these shocks?
Because they are the best. I had Koni on my old SiR and I will have Koni on the new one!

EP33
04-15-2003, 06:30 PM
If I could only offer test drives over the net :rolleyes:

Believe me, springs are only part of the formula to good handling.

I can't believe there have been only 2.5 people with Koni's on this site (maybe I am missing someone), but the amount of people with lowering springs only is high?

Someone else wanna take the plunge? You get a lifetime warranty. Come on. . . .:p

(Look at pic)

Get deez. . .

streaker666
04-15-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey EP33, what springs do you have riding on those Koni's?

Mugen_EP
04-15-2003, 06:33 PM
You have to factor in price though. I got my rears for $260 and fronts for $300. Not that many people are willing to spend over $500 for handling.

02SilverSiHB
04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by EP33
If I could only offer test drives over the net :rolleyes:

Believe me, springs are only part of the formula to good handling.

I can't believe there have been only 2.5 people with Koni's on this site (maybe I am missing someone), but the amount of people with lowering springs only is high?

Someone else wanna take the plunge? You get a lifetime warranty. Come on. . . .:p

(Look at pic)

Get deez. . .
I totally agree with you on the shocks. I can't stand the stock ones. I noticed how you said you don't bounce much at all when you hit bumps? What settings are you at for daily driving? It looks like koni is my only choice. I can't stand the stock shocks any longer

IchBinEinSiR
04-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Speaking of that bouncing... anyone know why the hell Honda released such a lame setup? Honda has the best engine, tranny, and chassis, but why then the little wheels, soft shocks, and high ride height? Honda led the charge for the enthusiasts a decade ago, and now that Mazda, Nissan, etc. are in the fray we lose the hatch for a year and then get this kind of handling package... I'm spending my $4000 discount in upgrades!

EP33
04-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Let me sum it up. . .

I have H&R Sports, I think the car would handle better with stiffer taller springs. Maybe 3/4" - 1".

I drive with the shocks set from 1/2 a turn FIRM front and rear to full soft front and rear. Curently they are set at 1/8 turn FIRM in front and 1/4 turn FIRM in the rear. If the car is loaded, I'll turn them up to compensate (cool feature).

It sucks Honda doesn't offer tricked out suspension. I don't think it fits into their Civic = Practical blah blah blah. . .

I am waiting for the day Honda makes the announcement that all of their cars can be equipped with a factory turbo intercooler system with a warranty. That'll sure shake up Neons, WRX, EVOs. . . (alarm clock goes off).

95% of the people that tailgate me back off because they can't keep they're car in a lane. They can't match the nimbleness of this hatchback. . . I sheet you not.

;)Koni Install 56K beware (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9847&highlight=ep33)

Just in case this is from Bilstein:
Make: ACURA
Model: RSX
Year: 02
Blank: HD (stock height)
Front: In Development
Rear: In Development

Make: ACURA
Model: RSX
Year: 02
Blank: SP (usually shortened and definately stiffer)
Front: In Development
Rear: In Development

AkronSi
04-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
You have to factor in price though. I got my rears for $260 and fronts for $300. Not that many people are willing to spend over $500 for handling.

I think it is partly the price, but you have to factor in the additional labor. Your spending $500 on shocks that you have to modify to get them to fit.

No Way! They may be great shocks, I won't deny that....but I'm not going to fork over that much money on something that truely doesn't fit perfect out of the box.

I have one question though. If the EP has a different spring rate than the standard Civic, wouldn't the dampers need to be different too? Maybe I'm just thinking about this all wrong but I don't see how the dampers can be interchangable and the springs can't.

Someone set me straight.

todaCspec
04-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by AkronSi

I think it is partly the price, but you have to factor in the additional labor. Your spending $500 on shocks that you have to modify to get them to fit.

No Way! They may be great shocks, I won't deny that....but I'm not going to fork over that much money on something that truely doesn't fit perfect out of the box.

I have one question though. If the EP has a different spring rate than the standard Civic, wouldn't the dampers need to be different too? Maybe I'm just thinking about this all wrong but I don't see how the dampers can be interchangable and the springs can't.

Someone set me straight.

People have been using Tein springs on their EP, that was meant for 01+ coupe civic and says it rides well. Previous civic ,integra,and delsol springs have been inter changed as well w/no problems. It'll be a stiffer ride. My friend had a 98 hatch and did a Prelude swap and used integra springs. The front end would be heavier w/the swap ,so he decided to use stiffer springs.

Also Neuspeed coilovers for 92-95 civic ,93-97 delsol, and 94-01 integra are all the same w/same part #. The springs and shocks are more heavy duty, so it can support the heavier load, just like these Koni shocks.

motomoron
04-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Don't be such weenies.
Chop your stock strut tubes and pound some Koni goodness into them. Took me 4 hours to do fronts and rears with Progress springs and Ingalls rear control arms. The car goes like a scalded dog. Sticks unbelievably well, rails around corners, balanced, good transient response. If you're scare about mutilating your stck struts, buy a set from a balled up ex-DUI EP3 from a junkyard. As long as the pitman arm isn't bent, you're going to toss the guts anyway. I reckon everyone who buys those silly green coilovers is going to have stock struts for sale. Heck, you could probably swap a happy meal for a set.
Then, just install your frigging Konis and quit your whimpering and complaining. Christ almighty you kids are good at whining.
:mad:

02SilverSiHB
04-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by motomoron
Don't be such weenies.
Chop your stock strut tubes and pound some Koni goodness into them. Took me 4 hours to do fronts and rears with Progress springs and Ingalls rear control arms. The car goes like a scalded dog. Sticks unbelievably well, rails around corners, balanced, good transient response. If you're scare about mutilating your stck struts, buy a set from a balled up ex-DUI EP3 from a junkyard. As long as the pitman arm isn't bent, you're going to toss the guts anyway. I reckon everyone who buys those silly green coilovers is going to have stock struts for sale. Heck, you could probably swap a happy meal for a set.
Then, just install your frigging Konis and quit your whimpering and complaining. Christ almighty you kids are good at whining.
:mad:
hahahaa! okay, I'll stop whining! :D you're right...I see the light.

Got another email from the koni guy...man he seems very disappointed in honda :o
Maybe it is just a hot button for me as I have been a devoted Honda road racer Honda and street driver for over a decade but going back to strut technology is definately a step backwards in suspension geometry and performance in the name of cheaper manufacturing costs and smaller physical packaging. That high steering arm is exactly what GM did in the late '80s and through the '90s on the less than exceptional Calais/Grand Am/Beretta platform.

But we work with what they give us. I know there are a few companies with full threaded struts in expensive spring and damper threaded suspension kits that are on or near the market but KONI is the only performance shock company so far that has a damper only because of out cut-a-strut system to get around needing to supply that expensive arm.

Best regards,
Lee Grimes
KONI North America

IchBinEinSiR
04-16-2003, 07:34 PM
I'll have to agree with the Koni rep., could they not keep the upper and lower arms? There must have been some way to package that in this car... it's the shareholders driving profit margins to forever expand, and in the process diluting product.

LeperCon
05-01-2003, 01:06 AM
I am going to have to disagree on a few points here: Struts is not necessarily a step backwards, regardless of making things harder to manufacture for it. With a stiffer car there my even be advantages. It's all about geometry, and although struts ARE an old design, they also work just fine. Look at the WRX, it has struts at all 4 wheels. So does a first gen MR2, of which the S/C model only weighs 100lbs or so less than our cars, and both of those are known as good handlers (not the best on the world, albeit, but very good). No one suspension is going to offer what you are looking for at every turn. Everything is a trade-off, and I am glad Honda has diversified. I honestly don't think you are going to see much of a performance difference from the old double-wishbone setup, and if you do, I think that it will be positive. The new ITR (DC5) and CTR (EP3) are already exceeding the capabilities of the older chassis, partially due to this new front suspension. Remeber that this is just my opinion, but I have also driven quite a few cars in my time, and can also tell you that sometimes I miss driving solid rear axle cars. There are substantial advantages to those, as well. Anyone who has drive them agressively with decent tuning can tell you that. Just keep in mind that nothing is ever all bad or all good. Thanks for reading this, and I hope I don't get flamed TOO badly.

Mechanic
05-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by IchBinEinSiR
I'll have to agree with the Koni rep., could they not keep the upper and lower arms? There must have been some way to package that in this car... it's the shareholders driving profit margins to forever expand, and in the process diluting product.

Hey, cut me some slack: I'm one of those shareholders, and I'm not contributing to the dilution of the product. Due a search. I was one of the first to write HMC to plead for a CTR. :-)

That, however, is not the reason for my post.

I, too, agree with Lee Grimes (Koni, NA) when he says that Honda took a step backward with a return to struts in place of a suspension system w/upper and lower control arms on the Si/CTR chassis. A strut system, any strut system, is "ok," but it has inherent compromises at the extremes of jounce and rebound.

Still, having said that, I'd nevertheless pony up the bucks for a set of Koni's if the installation weren't such a bear. (Yea, yea, I know, I'm a quiche-eater because I don't want to haul out a hacksaw and cut up my OEM setup to install a set of Koni's.) But, it's more than that.

You are reading the post of a reformed 1980s V-dub Bilstein Cup racer. The thing that motivated me to buy Bilstein's Cup-car package (which was damn expensive in 1980) was the fact that it was a quality package, it was designed specifically for a V-dub Rabbit, and it was a straight bolt-on. Once installed (which was really simple), it delivered everything it promised.

Not to take anything away from the quality of Koni shocks, but what we are being offered now is a shock setup which has to be modified to fit. It can be made to work, of course, but that's very different from what Bilstein provided for its V-dub Cup racers in the '80s. At some point there may be enough Si's/CTRs out there to warrant Koni's marketing of a complete package (springs, shocks, struts as a unit). Until then, the potential market for the current product is going to remain very limited.

IchBinEinSiR
05-01-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LeperCon
... It's all about geometry, and although struts ARE an old design, they also work just fine. Look at the WRX, it has struts at all 4 wheels... No one suspension is going to offer what you are looking for at every turn. Everything is a trade-off, and I am glad Honda has diversified...

The WRX and every other WRC rallye car utilize the strut setup. This allows the teams to have large amounts of travel, larger shocks with more oil to keep a more stabile temperature for better dampning and rebound, and the strut assembly is also very easy to remove and replace quickly. The setup is not inherently stiff or able to maintain its original geometry, which in rallye racing is not bad as the little bit of movement or flex helps them get grip in the loose stuff. On pavement, with short wheel travels, and stiffness (maintaining original geometries), this setup is not the best. In fact, the Type-R Integra's proved themselves in SCCA racing circles against many competitors that out horsed them but didn't handle as well. (BMW uses struts up front) So after all the rambling... struts are not BAD but for road use the, upper and lower arms in my opinion were a bonus on the Civic, giving a tuner a greater ability (with less expense) to tune the suspension to handle. The older Civic, 1992-5, rode very flat, even from the factory, while the EP3 tends to bob in the front end. Though this can be tuned out with new dampers etc...

While we are on suspension: anyone else find the suspension pieces (stamped steel with rivets etc) to be of a cheaper quality than Honda has made in the past? Remember cast aluminum parts that vehicles used to come with?

Mugen Power
05-01-2003, 05:04 PM
It's true how these new strut set-ups may be better than the bones on the DC2 and EK, etc, but have you ever wondered how it would've been if Honda continued to use the bones, i.e. improve on them with their Honda-magic? Think about it, it wouldn't make sense that a new DC5 wouldn't outhandle a 5-year old DC2 Type R...

sniperSI
05-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I must say it's very very VERY poor form on koni's part to suggest we modify their shocks to fit our SI's. They are an international corporation that charges top dollar for their product and to suggest on modifying their product after paying 500 + is just terrible.

I can only imagine if i told some of our clients at my firm to "hey can you please adjust your code to work with our new server setups, i mean i know your paying but it's not feasible right now to give you a server.

just bad form

Koni did suggest that in the return email right? eh blah.

David K.
05-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I agree with sniper Si. Koni makes tons of shocks and struts for many different applications, the vast majority of them needing no modification to fit its intended vehicle. I mean really, what's the big deal with manufacturing a complete replacement part? Just about every other strut-equipped vehicle has the option of high quality, high performance replacement parts that require no modification to fit. Maybe it's too soon to tell if our platform will be successful enough to warrant a complete replacement part, but hopefully other manufacturers will jump on board.

I'm all for modding my car; I'm not interested in taking a grinder and press to my factory pieces in order to mate an aftermarket part work with them. Custom fabricated turbo kit I can dig; frankenstein front strut setup I'm not so sure about.

Bottom line: too much money and too much to fuck up for something that should be remove and replace. IMO:angel:

siver-SI
05-01-2003, 05:54 PM
I have to agree that you sould not have to mod your car just to add a mod to your car. I just like a simple bolt on I guess then having to redo a mounting on my car. I would like some after market to get some better handling on my car but I just want a bold on add on.

EP33
05-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Wow!! you guys are pissed. . . .

:'(

IchBinEinSiR
05-01-2003, 08:55 PM
The concept of modifying the strut to replace the stock shock is not a new one, after replacing the complete front strut on the 92 Maxima I had, I then got to remove the guts from the rears and insert a cartridge. I didn't have a choice as no manufacturers made a bolt in rear strut for that car. The EP3 may not be different... well the price is higher for the EP3 parts. We probably just need to wait a little while before a few others come forth with their shocks, until then I'm riding on the stockers until that happens or they genuinely need replacing.

My point: would rather bolt it in, but if I don't have a choice...

02SilverSiHB
05-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Wow!! you guys are pissed. . . .

:'(
:D SOL for them...if they think the other coppanies are ever going to come out with just a shock replacement...I have a feeling they are dead wrong. They would have done it by now. If they do come out with anything, it will be a coilover set that will be twice as much for the shocks ($531)

I'm done waiting, that's why I bought mine :) the other companies aren't going to do anything for us for much cheaper. So if I'm wrong...I'll eat my words :)

Steve02Si
05-02-2003, 08:26 PM
I've done the installation on a customer's car. it's easy. you can buy another set used somewhere, probably pretty cheap, if you don't wanna hack your originals. It's Koni. You know it's quality. It's not their fault Honda decided to put the steering arm on the strut, thus making it far more costly to manufacture a complete replacement strut. If you want to do struts, do it already and quit whining about what should be or may be. And those of you talking about bouncing, I'd guess you're using springs with stock struts? That's what you get. The strut controls the spring. Add more spring and you need more strut. Simple.

02SilverSiHB
05-02-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
I've done the installation on a customer's car. it's easy. you can buy another set used somewhere, probably pretty cheap, if you don't wanna hack your originals. It's Koni. You know it's quality. It's not their fault Honda decided to put the steering arm on the strut, thus making it far more costly to manufacture a complete replacement strut. If you want to do struts, do it already and quit whining about what should be or may be. And those of you talking about bouncing, I'd guess you're using springs with stock struts? That's what you get. The strut controls the spring. Add more spring and you need more strut. Simple.
well said :D I quit my whining about a few days ago and bought my koni's...531 shipped from www.importhorizon.com not too bad :p

chunky
05-03-2003, 04:22 AM
Well, I just jumped on the bandwagon and sent koni an email via the form on their website.

Also, for those not in the know, the RSX & type-r struts/shocks are wider than the em2/ep3 struts/shocks. You could use those koni part #'s if you got a set of rsx struts to modify. The rear shocks should fit w/o modification though.

To Whom it May Concern:

I am a loyal honda owner and have always loved the products that Koni has produced to extend the handling capabilities for the civics of the '90s. However, the torch has been passed and a new generation of suspension resides in the front end of my 2002 Civic Si. Love them or hate them, the struts are here to stay.

I am a member on www.ephatch.com and have been reading some of the responses that Koni has sent out to members of this online community who have inquired about a direct fitment for Koni Yellow shocks on the 2002 civic si. How can you expect a group of honda enthusiasts to be satisfied with the cut-a-strut method? There are a few reasons why I will NEVER buy struts that require extensive modification of the factory front struts.

1) The steering arm on the strut MUST be re-positioned when lowering the car. Leaving it in the stock position makes it almost impossible to adjust toe AND camber to spec. The other alternative is buying expensive aftermarket tie-rods.

2) Destroying my stock struts means that I can never put my car back to stock if I wanted to sell it. This diminishes the value of the koni struts. And further, if I were to require re-valving of the shock, what would I use while my shocks were sent to you to be re-valved?

3) There is no shortened strut body model to allow for greater suspension travel with cars lowered 2" or more.

Having said all that, I would love to purchase a set of koni shocks, once those issues have been addressed by a product that speaks for itself. I understand that re-tooling to make that steering arm on the strut might be expensive, but this honda front suspension is going be with us for years to come, why not make a product that will further koni's reputation as the leader in direct fitment aftermarket performance shocks? What you have out now for the Honda civic SI/RSX seriously casts doubt on what is guiding the product - the engineers with a passion for what they do, or the bean counters who want to make less and get more.

Eagerly awaiting your response,

SFla02si
05-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Very well said.

EP33
05-03-2003, 09:58 AM
I got my car aligned after installing my H&R Sports w/ Koni struts. Last Wednesday, I went back to have my alignment checked and it was still in spec. I do agree that the tie rod ends look like they're really "reaching" the struts visually, however, my car's toe & camber are all in check front and rear.

FailureToStop
05-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Well... the Tein Basic is supposed to come out in June. IIRC, they have a MSRP of $990. Street price? Say $850-950.

You get a coil-over adjustablity with the Basic but the dampers are fixed.

With the Konis:

$531........ Konis. Dampers are adjustable.
$320........ Ground Control Coil-overs
$560........ Factory struts $140x4....
$???......... Labor. More labor intensive than the Tein Basics.

So, you are looking at about $851 for the Koni and Ground Controls, additional labor costs (cutting the struts) and you don't get to keep the factory struts (to sell or keep).

Konis&Ground Control
- More cost (more labor and have to use factory struts)
- It's a hack job (increased problems due to install. Have to find a good, trust-worthy installation shop.).
+ Dampers are adjustable

Tein Basic
+ "Drop in" installation. Not a hack job.
- Dampers aren't adjustable.

I'm gonna wait for the Tein Basic to come out. To me it looks like it will be a better system/deal than the Konis.

02SilverSiHB
05-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by FailureToStop

I'm gonna wait for the Tein Basic to come out. To me it looks like it will be a better system/deal than the Konis.
are you sure they are coming out with a set for our cars? I keep hearing rumors that they aren't. I hope that's not true for those that want to buy them.

TEKBRAIN
05-03-2003, 02:57 PM
I hope to receive my Koni next week.

FailureToStop
05-03-2003, 04:47 PM
are you sure they are coming out with a set for our cars? I keep hearing rumors that they aren't. I hope that's not true for those that want to buy them. Well June is only a month away. (The June release date is per an email from Tein to a EPhatch member).

And even if they do come out in June I won't have all the $ (~$850-900 for the kit, ~$150 for the rear camber kit, ~$180 for install and alignment.)

I also plan to wait until the Basic is widely available (to escape the price gouging that will probably occur due to the initial shortage and high demand). So I will be putting it off for four+ months.

If it is not out in four+ months... I'll just see what my options are at that point. :(

2k3vbpEP
05-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Well with all of the problems people are mentioning with the Konis I have decided to get the Tein Type Flex coilovers

chunky
05-03-2003, 08:58 PM
I got my car aligned after installing my H&R Sports w/ Koni struts. Last Wednesday, I went back to have my alignment checked and it was still in spec. I do agree that the tie rod ends look like they're really "reaching" the struts visually, however, my car's toe & camber are all in check front and rear.

How much neg camber do you run up front? with camber plates, it's really hard to get the toe within spec when you run more than -1 camber up front.

I'll probably be running -1.5 or so.

sniperSI
05-04-2003, 08:34 AM
I just bought the super street online with the alpine civic.

Tein has a 2 page add in there saying they have a shock set for the 02-03 SI's,

LIke basic, or someting sounding entry level, i don't have the mag infront of me. I just thought someone mailed tien and they claimed not to have a shock for our car? <shrug>

IceD out N CALI
05-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI
I just bought the super street online with the alpine civic.

Tein has a 2 page add in there saying they have a shock set for the 02-03 SI's,

LIke basic, or someting sounding entry level, i don't have the mag infront of me. I just thought someone mailed tien and they claimed not to have a shock for our car? <shrug>

yeah, in the end it was confirmed they would carry it. probably a case of some chump working the phones that doesnt know any better:o