PDA

View Full Version : No MAF?

Shark
04-15-2003, 08:32 AM
On domestic cars, I'm used to seeing a MAF on the intake. When I installed the K&N Typhoon (awesome, by the way), I didn't see a MAF of any kind?

What gives? How does Honda measure air flow?

mhx
04-15-2003, 11:00 AM
There is a sensor that reads the air intake temp. You should of had a spot to plug it into on your intake pipe.. Unless u got a cheap ebay one.

It takes all the readings like a maf.. The ecu does the rest.

Shark
04-15-2003, 12:41 PM
That sensor measures the intake air temp. Isn't there a sensor that measures the air flow?

Originally posted by mhx
There is a sensor that reads the air intake temp. You should of had a spot to plug it into on your intake pipe.. Unless u got a cheap ebay one.

It takes all the readings like a maf.. The ecu does the rest.

dchu
04-15-2003, 12:59 PM
Hondas use a MAP sensor which is usually located on top of the throttle body. At least this is the case with older hondas. I haven't worked too much on my Si yet, but I'm pretty sure it's the same.

mhx
04-15-2003, 01:00 PM
on honda's they call maf a "map sensor"

I dont know where it is on the EP's

JSIR
04-15-2003, 01:22 PM
MAF's stink, Honda uses MAP - manifold absolute pressure - it works by measuring air pressure in the manifold to compute air volume when combined with air temps. Its a small black sensor on the top of the throttle body if you look close enough you can read the small print - MAP. I say it is better as there is no measuring device in the air flow to mess up, MAPs are very accurate as well.

Shark
04-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Originally posted by JSIR
MAF's stink, Honda uses MAP - manifold absolute pressure - it works by measuring air pressure in the manifold to compute air volume when combined with air temps. Its a small black sensor on the top of the throttle body if you look close enough you can read the small print - MAP. I say it is better as there is no measuring device in the air flow to mess up, MAPs are very accurate as well.

JohnR
04-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda uses a system called speed density. Instead of measuring the air entering the engine they calculate it using engine RPM and MAP (manifold air pressure), taking into account volumetric efficiency. The computer then calculates the amount of air entering the engine and adjusts fuel accordingly. Also TPS is observed to check for demand from the driver.

Kru_zer
04-18-2003, 12:40 PM
With a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sysytem, the computer can easily change fuel demands without computer upgrades. A MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) system uses preset conditions. This is known as mapping. At each set of conditions met then the proper air fuel ratio is given. Most tech articles lean towards a MAF for greater horse power gains without changes in the computer (PCM), up to a certain point. A MAF is more flexible with cam, intake and exhaust changes. Example, most Mustangs can go up to 400 HP without computer changes. Anyway, that's just a little info for you fellow Si's.

Kruzen!!!