PDA

View Full Version : Car security systems questions

Pradamuimui
04-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Im in the market for a car security system. I don't want a cheapy, or some car alarm that doesn't work so hot. I want one that will do its job well. Now I don't know the first thing about car security systems because I don't really pay much attention to them. My friend told me that one of the best car security systems to buy is a Aladdin security system. Is this true? If yes, where can I buy them from, and who else has good security systems? Any website links etc... would be helpful. Thanks.

AznPower
04-15-2003, 02:12 PM
for the $$$ my sugestion is Viper (classic) its a good reliable system

cjonesgo
04-15-2003, 02:14 PM
oh man.... genie makes garage door openers.

jokes. they are never as funny once you explain them.

as for alarms, i made the dealer throw in the factory one when i bought the car. no one has broken into my car yet, so i guess it's working. excuse me i have to go knock on wood.

master7
04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Try a Avital system.

jaydub
04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Almost all alarm companies are owned by the same company now, Directed. www.directed.com . They are over Viper, Hornet, and Clifford, to name a few.

I've gone into tons of detail in the electronics forum, but for a broad topic, I'll just say that paying $500 for an alarm system won't mean shit if it isn't installed properly. Installation is the most important part of ANY alarm purchase.

SinisterCivicSi
04-15-2003, 06:27 PM
i have a viper in my car, and cant complain about it. i paid about 500 for it, which included some extra stuff, a backup battery, pin switch for the hood and a sunroof module....gotta have the toys!

Jpax
04-15-2003, 06:34 PM
get the new compustar. I like it. :)

william
04-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
get the new compustar. I like it. :)

Same, no problems at all, plus i9t pages you from 1km away if any thug is breaking into your car. So you can call the cops.........or sneak up an bash his head good!:D

streaker666
04-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Any alarm (well installed) would be better than the factory alarm... I have the factory alarm thrown in as part of the deal and now I'm thinking I should have twisted the salesman's arm to throw in the factory foglamps (but can't complain 'cuz I got it for $22K Canadian).

We got a shared driveway with the next house and the first night I brought my EP home the a$$hole next door parked really close to me...the next morning his girlfriend's fat arse apparently was rubbing against my driver's side door and put an arse worth of light scratches on it :'( !! The alarm is only good for breaking in (doors and hatch but NOT windows and hood)...and of course, arse contacts won't set it off as it doesn't have perimeter sensors...anyhow, after this long story my point is that the factory one sucks arse.

SinisterCivicSi
04-15-2003, 06:41 PM
arse?? streaker - you irish? lol

streaker666
04-15-2003, 06:43 PM
hahaha, I was trying to be polite (keeping the bad language down), that's all.

Dunrick
04-15-2003, 09:02 PM
I noticed a lot of the pager alarm systems come w/ remote start...I dont want that - could I tell most alarm installation places to just not install that, cutting down on the installation price?

SinisterCivicSi
04-16-2003, 03:21 AM
alot of professional installation shops wont put remote start on our cars..... manual tranny + remote start = illegal
if you know someone or if the place is shady, they will do it. i had it along w/ my husband on our 93 civics. my husband learned the hard way 2 times to put his car in neutral when he parked it w/ remote start. well, one time wasnt his fault. he had a place clean and detail his car and we told them very clearly to keep it in neutral for the R.S. he walked upto the car and hit the buttons (he was about 15 yards away) and the car started - and proceeded to jump out onto a highway right for a guard rail. of course he ran after it and me after him (screaming to stop).
he jumped into the car just in time about 5 ft from the rail, turned and took off.......then i hustled my ass back into the shop and almost got arrested that day. by the time it was over, dude who washed the car lost his job for almost killing a loyal customer.
moral? DONT GET REMOTE START IF YOU CANT KEEP YOUR CAR IN NEUTRAL ALL THE DAM TIME! :eek: :confused: ;)

03hatch
04-16-2003, 03:51 AM
compustar are good...the channel extender are out...it will give you more channels total of seven..ill stop type you can read heres the link http://www.compustar.org/intro.html

get the autolock too...:D

Pradamuimui
04-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Which Compustar would be the best one to go with, or the newest one? And how much do they run?

Pradamuimui
04-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Which Compustar would be the best one to go with?

my02si
04-17-2003, 01:51 PM
compustar is great.. They run anywhere from $400 - up Mine I think was $500, but I didnt do remote start... SO on..
http://www.compustar.org/index2.html