PDA

View Full Version : JDM impact beams: here's the deal

hamlet9634
04-15-2003, 02:13 PM
so i just had the body shop install front and rear JDM impact beams on my EP because the buddy club kit I got wouldn't fit over the US spec impact beams.

body shop tells me : DIRECT bolt on. No problems whatsoever.

Rear was one piece and about 2 inches smaller in width overall compared to US spec (almost had to put them next to each other to see the difference). Front was in 3 pieces and looked completely different than US spec.

I was terrified of getting into another accident and not having as much safety equipment as possible on the car, so the impact beams were a must for me. They weighed about 15 lbs combined (arm scale), so i couldn't justify not having them. Cost was a little under $400, so the money I saved on a replica body kit went into safety equipment instead.

Pics will be posted once i get the final painting of my body panels and get the car back from the body shop (been there over a month now while waiting for parts from Japan).

IceD out N CALI
04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
cool, cant wait for dem pics

toe knee
04-15-2003, 03:38 PM
cool beans!!!!:)

02SilverSiHB
04-15-2003, 06:14 PM
awsome post! I'm glad to see someone did this. So are these as safe, or close to being as safe as the us specs?

And if you don't mind...where did you buy them?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
04-15-2003, 06:52 PM
NICE... im glad the jdm supports are a direct fit with no problems. now i just need money hehe.

hamlet9634
04-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
So are these as safe, or close to being as safe as the us specs?

And if you don't mind...where did you buy them?

i have NO idea if they're as "safe" as the US spec bumper supports. I think the US has higher standards for bumpers than the rest of the world with regards to low speed (5mph) impacts, and that's what these are really meant to help with.

The thought of having NO protection scared me, so I'm sure having SOMETHING there is better than nothing. The rear support is probably nearly identical in strength the US spec version, judging by how it looked.. but the front.. dunno.

Got them from Fizz. The main problem is getting things shipped out from Japan, and that usually takes time. Fizz was pretty good about this, but you can still expect a wait for things like this. I don't know if anyone has it in stock. Showstoppers was talking about carrying the bumper supports as well, so they should be able to get them for people.

EnJaNir
04-16-2003, 02:30 PM
great to hear...im waiting for showstoppers to come in so i can get mine

siver-SI
04-16-2003, 07:05 PM
I say install then yourself and same some cash. If they are like the front bumper mounts for the Prelude it would be any were from 4 to 12 bolts to do the job with a 12MM socket. It is so easy it is not even funny. Crashed up my Prelude so I have to work of the front end and take off the bumber and brakets and that was only 12 bolts. 4 bolts for the impact beams to the two brackets and 8 to bold on the brackets too the body.

On this board they show how to take off the bumber so go I would say go with the the do it your self if it is a bolt on.

hamlet9634
04-16-2003, 09:01 PM
ofcourse you could do it yourself, but why?

the only good reason to get the JDM beams is if you're going with a JDM body kit (or JDM buddy club kit like I did), which means the car is going to a body shop for painting/installation anyway.. so just have them do it when they take off your stock body parts and put on the new ones, they shouldn't charge you any more, and it IS a simple bolt on.

my body shop didn't charge me for this...

hamlet9634
04-21-2003, 07:26 AM
link to pictures:

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12083

siver-SI
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
I like the body it is growing on me big time just like the SI did. The rims I do not like as much with the body but it is your car not mine. I can see why you did not do it yourself when you had the car being worked on all ready.