PDA

View Full Version : flimsy window wipers

minimay7
04-16-2003, 01:16 AM
I think I saw a thread about this issue some time ago. I just couldn't find it...

It rained here in LA this past weekend. And I know what you guys meant in that other thread about lame Si's window wipers. It was shaking around like crazy...

Has anyone replaced their wiper? Is this a problem that can be solved simply by getting better blades? Or do I need some kin dof mod?

BarracksSi
04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm trying to remember if I replaced any of my wipers in the last ten years unless the rubber was falling apart, and that wasn't very often at all.

Whenever I clean my windows at a gas station, I get all the gunk off the wiper blades' edges by using the squeegee's sponge.

I'm willing to bet that most of a wiper's poor performance is caused by gunk buildup.

streaker666
04-16-2003, 01:20 PM
Clean your front and back wipers whenever you clean your car (or just glass) then you'll see the difference. It should last you a couple of years.

Mugen Power
04-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I noticed that the stock wipers will stutter a lot on the glass if there is even a little bit of crap on them. It's been ice/built up snow for me lately. But anyway, my experience with the rear wiper is that it stutters when it's not laying flat on the window. I'm not sure how to explain this, but part of the blade isn't bent or resting at the same side as the rest (usually the edge away from the water squirter) which seemed to make it skip a lot. I just made sure everytime I flipped it up to clean it that I rested the blade in the same way so it wouldn't happen.

NeuroSi
04-16-2003, 06:43 PM
The absolute best way to clean your wipers blades is to use rubbing alcohol. I got the PIAA Silicone wipers for my EP and though they're pricey, they work awesome.

Jacob

raiyo
04-16-2003, 07:05 PM
man, i hate my wipers, back and front. they was all good when leaving the dealer (was raining when i picked up the car) but after one day the rear wipers isn't swipping smoothly no more. and after a few months the same with the front. sad..... i got really bad luck with wipers. i go with stock, they suck. i go with kragen, they suck. i go with bosch they suck also. i heard good stuff bout piaa, but is it all that great? pretty costy though. using rubbing alochol will solve this problem? if so, let me freeload some off work.

LordKoo
04-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Put some rainX on your windshield, they do wonders, then you don't have to use the wipers that often. :)

MoodySi
04-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I was battling the rain a few days ago as well, and the wipers on this car are already shot! I might try just cleaning them better, however I think the stuttering of the wipers is caused by the rubber drying out.

Mugen Power
04-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Arg, I can't get the stupid blades off! It's been raining for these past few days and I started to notice that my left wiper is skipping at the end closest to the base. I never noticed before because I never used them at high speeds. Now I notice it all the time!

Is there an easier way to remove them besides pulling them out at where the arm clasps onto it? Seems like that part that hooks into the blade itself won't let go...

I think one of the strips of metal that supports the blade is a little crooked, making that side of the blade stutter. Any help on taking this blade off?

AznPower
04-22-2003, 12:25 PM
been a year and my wipers are still good, just make sure u clean them everytime u clean your car

Marcivi
04-22-2003, 01:02 PM
I replaced mine. Stock one's were shot. Sun, dust, frost, more dust, and more sun took a toll on them over the winter here. I have Bosch wipers on now and the only problem I've had is getting a passenger side one that was the right size. It's like a x-large size on the drivers side and a personal pan pizza size on the other.

-Jack

Mugen Power
04-22-2003, 05:17 PM
OK, I've cleaned mine pretty often so I'm not sure if that's it. But anyway, I'm having trouble taking the blades off. YES, I read the manual and it says to pull from the side with the tab. Is that the side that has a hole in it so the wiper arm can hook onto it? I can't seem to get mine off...