PDA

View Full Version : installing progress rear sway and...

foilpan
04-16-2003, 05:18 PM
...i spent about 45 minutes trying to loosen these bolts. which are these and why does the whole damn thing spin when i loosen them? i think it's shot now. the nut and bolt are all rusted together, it seems. now there's some play in the bar ends, so i'm pretty pissed. i'll have to investigate more tomorrow or have someone with some air tools take care of it.

am i screwed now?

aaaaaaagh!

http://nate.funk.shacknet.nu/bolt.jpg

02SilverSiHB
04-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by foilpan
...i spent about 45 minutes trying to loosen these bolts. which are these and why does the whole damn thing spin when i loosen them? i think it's shot now. the nut and bolt are all rusted together, it seems. now there's some play in the bar ends, so i'm pretty pissed. i'll have to investigate more tomorrow or have someone with some air tools take care of it.

am i screwed now?

aaaaaaagh!

http://nate.funk.shacknet.nu/bolt.jpg
I had to use some pliers to keep it still while I unscrewed the nut.

Have you tried that yet?

foilpan
04-16-2003, 06:08 PM
true. it started getting dark out before i found my pliers. all my tools got stolen a couple years ago, so i don't have everything i need. i had enough time to throw on the tires and remove the jack stands before i couldn't see anything in my driveway. i'll inspect this more tomorrow.

did you just sorta grip the pliers on the other end of the nut/bar end? there's not much room in there. i was hoping the other end would fit a crescent wrench or something, but it's just round. bah!

Cone Killer
04-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Don't use pliers or you will end up stripping the end of the screw. Put an allen wrench inside the screw to keep it from spinning.

foilpan
04-16-2003, 06:48 PM
where should i jam the allen wrench? behind the nut, inside the rubber gasket thingy? i was going to try wrapping something around pliers so as not to strip the screw. but if some allen wrench lovin' will do it, then...

Cone Killer
04-16-2003, 07:01 PM
where should i jam the allen wrench? behind the nut, inside the rubber gasket thingy? i was going to try wrapping something around pliers so as not to strip the screw. but if some allen wrench lovin' will do it, then...

The allen wrench fits inside the screw and that's how you are supposed to get the nut off. You could also try WD-40 to loosen things up a bit.

02SilverSiHB
04-16-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

The allen wrench fits inside the screw and that's how you are supposed to get the nut off. You could also try WD-40 to loosen things up a bit.
well damn, never even knew that. I had just put the allen wrench on the outside, not on the bolt/threads it self

Cone Killer
04-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

well damn, never even knew that. I had just put the allen wrench on the outside, not on the bolt/threads it self

I don't think you get it. There is the black rod (end link) that connects the swaybar to the lower arm. The black thing has a bolt on it that you put in the swaybar end and put a nut over it. The bolt is hollow and in a hex shape so a allen wrench fits inside the bolt so you can keep it from spinning while you use a wrench to spin the bolt off.

Suk02Si
04-16-2003, 10:47 PM
yeah, it's not too hard to find.;)

If you look at the head of the nut, you'll see what he's talking about. I don't remember the size but it could be 5mm allen. Just get a hold of an open end wrench and an allen key set.

02SilverSiHB
04-17-2003, 12:04 PM

I don't think you get it. There is the black rod (end link) that connects the swaybar to the lower arm. The black thing has a bolt on it that you put in the swaybar end and put a nut over it. The bolt is hollow and in a hex shape so a allen wrench fits inside the bolt so you can keep it from spinning while you use a wrench to spin the bolt off.
yeah I get it. I'm just saying I didn't know at the time that I did it. I used a set of pliers to hold it from turing while I unscrewed the nut.

02SilverSiHB
04-17-2003, 12:46 PM

Just to make sure you know that I get it, and know what I did...
I unscrewed the nut (A). As I did that, the bolt then start to turn freely, so I put the pliers on (B), not the threading. You are saying to put the allen wrench in the hex shape that resides in the bolt (C)...which is a way better idea and should be the only way of doing it. I can't believe I didn't see it, I can even tell from from the pic what type of bolt that is...oh well, it worked for me.

foilpan
04-18-2003, 11:05 AM
sweet. it worked like a charm.

the progress instructions leave much to be desired. it should mention that you need to block or otherwise immobilize the control arms before removing the 2 big bolts connecting them. or maybe i'm just dumb. either way, aligning the holes after the arm slipped up and out was the hardest part of the install after i got the end link nuts off.

the car handles SO MUCH better now! the progress springs go on next week, with 17" cp8's on the way(i hope).

oh, ephatch.com... you're the best!

02SilverSiHB
04-18-2003, 12:31 PM
sweet. it worked like a charm.

the progress instructions leave much to be desired. it should mention that you need to block or otherwise immobilize the control arms before removing the 2 big bolts connecting them. or maybe i'm just dumb. either way, aligning the holes after the arm slipped up and out was the hardest part of the install after i got the end link nuts off.

the car handles SO MUCH better now! the progress springs go on next week, with 17" cp8's on the way(i hope).

oh, ephatch.com... you're the best!
I hope for you too :) I wanted CP8's but no luck at www.wheelmax.com They only have black for the 17's...the 18's have every color, but I didn't want 18's.
I just now found another site, too late for me...but here it is, only in bronze though: http://store.yahoo.com/finalstageauto/rhevocp8.html Not sure what color you're going for, but it looks like people who want silver are outta luck

foilpan
04-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

I hope for you too :) I wanted CP8's but no luck at www.wheelmax.com They only have black for the 17's...the 18's have every color, but I didn't want 18's.
I just now found another site, too late for me...but here it is, only in bronze though: http://store.yahoo.com/finalstageauto/rhevocp8.html Not sure what color you're going for, but it looks like people who want silver are outta luck

really? i was going to call wheelmax about the bronze cp8s. they said they were all out? hmmm... i wonder how black cp8s on a black EP would look.

oh, have any of you with the progress sway noticed it touches the exhaust? i tried positioning the bushings as far down as possible, but the muffler still vibrates on it a little bit when i start the engine.

is this going to be a problem? it seems okay in normal driving conditions.

02SilverSiHB
04-18-2003, 02:51 PM

really? i was going to call wheelmax about the bronze cp8s. they said they were all out? hmmm... i wonder how black cp8s on a black EP would look.

oh, have any of you with the progress sway noticed it touches the exhaust? i tried positioning the bushings as far down as possible, but the muffler still vibrates on it a little bit when i start the engine.

is this going to be a problem? it seems okay in normal driving conditions.
that may happen sometimes. Have you lowered your car? I don't think conekiller has any complaints about his bar hitting the exhaust...he's not lowered.

Mad02Si
04-21-2003, 08:58 AM

really? i was going to call wheelmax about the bronze cp8s. they said they were all out? hmmm... i wonder how black cp8s on a black EP would look.MAn that would look badass in my opinion, I was thinking of the cp8 in either bronze or black, but I had a multi spoke rim like that before. Thinking of a plain 5 spoke pattern maybe six, leaning toward the bronze on black look. Have yet to see a car around here with bronze.

EP33
04-21-2003, 11:13 PM
tonight and it too rests on the stock muffler. I am lowered on H&R Sports. I can hear it knocking around slightly. I plan on installing a dent in the muffler to gain some clearance. Progress did "shave" a small piece of material from the bar, but not enough for my application.

Handling really good now. Thinking about getting a front bar to flatten the car out completely. I am happy with the purchase, and the functionality of the baa. I think my inside rear tire should come off the ground in hard cornering now :D

foilpan
04-24-2003, 05:33 PM
just got my progress springs installed today... man! cornering is sweet now. the booty end used to feel like it was going to bounce in tight cornering. now it sits tight. i might keep the stock wheels/tires on until the roads around here get fixed. it looks like beirut after winter.

for people who got 17s: how have you all liked the ride with a drop? is it harsher or just right?:(

AkronSi
04-25-2003, 07:24 AM
it looks like beirut after winter.

That sounds like the roads around here (NE Ohio). I have had to find alternate routes to my apartment because of some of the roads!

02SilverSiHB
04-25-2003, 10:20 AM
just got my progress springs installed today... man! cornering is sweet now. the booty end used to feel like it was going to bounce in tight cornering. now it sits tight. i might keep the stock wheels/tires on until the roads around here get fixed. it looks like beirut after winter.

for people who got 17s: how have you all liked the ride with a drop? is it harsher or just right?:(
I have the same springs, and will hopefully have the same sway eventually...as for the 17's I will be able to let you know when I get home. hondaman hasn't complained and he also has 17" 215/45 tires with his progress springs.