PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the interior?

snubnose
04-16-2003, 05:28 PM
I know that I like the Si interior but I appreciate it more after having test driven other cars. There were little things I did not like about the other cars, even though they were much more expensive than the Ep.

The 350Z had orange indices on the gauge. I don't like orange. The Si's black on oatmeal analogue tach and speedometer are far superior. It has a classic British look to me.

The S2000 has a digital tach. I vastly prefer the analogue tach on the Si. Analogue is so much better than an LED bar. The LED is like the display on a cheap stereo. What was Honda thinking?

I don't care for the cassette player on the RSX. I would never use it. And I don't need to listen to six CDs in a car. It's about driving, not losing yourself in music.

I think Honda got it right in the Si.

digitldlnkwnt
04-16-2003, 05:35 PM
I think they screwed up on the visibility of the gauges. I know one other column i had read said the same thing. I like to have the steering wheel a little low..but then i cant see the numbers between 40 and 100mph.
Oh well i guess those numbers dont count;)

RiceCzechs
04-16-2003, 06:10 PM
The driving position was in fact the thing that I liked best about the Si, and one of the chief things that sold me on the car... the small but substantial leather-clad wheel, the racing-style seats, well-placed pedals, and of course the oddball but fabulously effective shifter. Nice, well-lit gauges, simple HVAC controls, silky stalk operation, and a decent (but not exceptional) factory stereo were all bonuses in this department.

Not every interior can be 100%, of course, but I do wish they had taken a couple more notes from VW...

Bones to pick include the following:

1) The seatback memory issue - I would've gladly paid an extra $50 for seats that remember their position after letting someone into the backseat (VW has it right)

2) No center armrest - I realize it is somewhat out of character with the seats themselves, but I miss having one on long drives.

3) No telescope feature on the wheel.

4) Seat belts are mounted WAY back there on the pillar... I'm 5'9", so not the tallest tree in the forest, but still... This would probably be a tough problem to remedy inexpensively, as you'd likely have to go with seat-mounted belts (really expensive) - or some sort of hook on the seat itself, but that would probably make the belt stretch awkwardly when trying to access the rear seat.

5) Girlfriend has complained about the lack of an "Oh Shit" handle.

6) That pesky half-close stop on the sunroof (which is too small, while I'm at it).

7) Left side drink holder (excellent idea, even for righties like me) fails the Snapple test.

8) No available winter package (rump roasters and heated mirrors)

In general, the dash/door surfaces are lacking a bit in refinement (absence of soft-touch plastics, etc.), and the ancilliaries aren't as nicely dampened as in others (cover to the center console feels flimsy, glove box flops open instead of lightly lowering) compared to the class leaders, but as fit-and-finish is top notch, this is nitpicking.

I'm still very happy with the interior of my EP on the whole - it is head-and-shoulders above similar vehicles (Focus SVT, Subaru WRX, etc.). I recognize that the EP has its roots in an econobox, so I can't complain about a lack of luxury features, and in truth it comes very well-equipped (as born out by its almost nonexistent options list) indeed.

On the whole, I'd give the interior an 8.5. :)

gito
04-16-2003, 06:28 PM
I really like the interior of my Si, the white BG against orange/red gauges makes it very appealing. I do think that the indicator lights ABS, AIR BAG, etc are placed a little in disorder, I would rather have them line up at the bottom or something, but I can live with it. The Si has a very expensive interior feeling, the suede seats, and M5 dashboard material, very very fancy looking in a way. I am happy with my Si.

I saw the interior of the RSX and I hate the big space bet the central console and the gear shift, the Mazda speed is nice but not as cool as the Si. Our seats are much cooler!

graham
04-16-2003, 07:42 PM
8) No available winter package (rump roasters and heated mirrors)

Hey - we got the heated mirrors in Canada :) ... they exist! Want the part numbers? Now ... I wonder if we could retrofit those RSX seat warmers to work with our seats ...

... and what's with the extra button on the dash to the lower right of the shifter? I hate seeing "blanks" on the dash ...

Graham

digitldlnkwnt
04-17-2003, 08:18 AM
[. The Si has a very expensive interior feeling, the suede seats,

*just a note...the sid4e bolster material is called Alcantara.
it is also used in aston martins and BMW's.

http://www.alcantara.it/upl_images/bmw_3series_2.jpg

r3p00c
04-17-2003, 08:52 AM
I love my interior. I'm the only one who knows the seats aren't real suede... everyone else who gets in the car don't need to know that its not real. :) The seats are comfy, everythings pretty pleasing to look at, and the gearshift position is awesome.

Only complaint I have, really, is how easily the black plastic scuffs, especially around the lower sections where your feet are. You'd think they'd consider this when designing and make a scuff-resistant material down there.

mhx
04-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by r3p00c
I love my interior. I'm the only one who knows the seats aren't real suede... everyone else who gets in the car don't need to know that its not real. :) The seats are comfy, everythings pretty pleasing to look at, and the gearshift position is awesome.

Only complaint I have, really, is how easily the black plastic scuffs, especially around the lower sections where your feet are. You'd think they'd consider this when designing and make a scuff-resistant material down there.

what are the middle of the seats made out of.. it seems likes its good ventalation material.

any idea?

the part where your ass is and back

jaydub
04-17-2003, 10:05 AM
I love my interior, my only minor gripes are as follows:

HokieSi
04-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Looking at and driving a normal stick shift car feels weird. The interior rox your sox.

stephen
04-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
And I don't need to listen to six CDs in a car. It's about driving, not losing yourself in music.

nope. i like my music.

jaydub
04-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by stephen

nope. i like my music. Exactly. I LOVE my music in the car, and I've had enough money saved to get wheels, drop, and some engine goodies, but I passed in favor of a well set up stereo system.

digitldlnkwnt
04-17-2003, 11:20 PM
If i dont get lost in music...ill get lost in speeding...then my license will too get lost in buerocratic red tape...
STEREO=GOOD

IceD out N CALI
04-17-2003, 11:28 PM
like the others an armrest would have been nice or at least an option

rgGolf4
04-18-2003, 06:33 AM
While I agree on a few things, overall I think some people don't understand the purpose of the interior. The Si, although not hot rod fast, is a race inspired car. Fancy heating circuits, armrests, and other creature comforts would only add to the already bloated weight. The Si is not a luxury car. If you wanted a hatchback with tons of luxury items, you should of got a VW. I don't care for most of them though, so the Si fits me perfectly.

I do wish that the plastic was a bit more scratch resistant, and the layout of some of the idiot lights a little better...but there is nothing "extra" I wanted. If anything, a leather option.

I had a VW before (MKIV) and it was nice inside, but they had problems too. The plastic handles peeled, and it rattled like crazy. Not to mention those great seat warmers and mirror defrosters broke or malfunctioned every season. I like less things...its less stuff to break.

RiceCzechs
04-18-2003, 07:00 AM
I disagree with that statement... although the Si is indeed performance minded, it already comes loaded to the gills with what would normally be options on other vehicles (e.g. sunroof, power everything). Granted, some of these features are almost becoming industry-standard, but still... one of the leading criticisms of the Si by the major automotive news outlets has been its bloated weight (same holds true for the GTI).

I'm not saying that they needed to be standard features, but having them as options would've been nice. Further, features like a telescoping wheel and the OS handle go to seating position, which relates directly to its roll as a "driver's car". How difficult could it have been to offer an armrest? Heated seats? I'm not necessarily expecting all of these things to be standard, but what I'm talking about doesn't take thousands of dollars, nor would it be that tough to make part of low cost option packages.

Listen, my main gripe with the car has absolutely nothing to do with the interior (softy skyjacker suspension and undersized wheels/tires), like I said, I gave it an 8.5 overall. But, these are small features that would likely add up to only a couple of hundred dollars in actual mfg. cost, that would bring the interior up to a 9.5, or a 10... certainly best-in-class. That's all I'm driving at...

Nitpicking improves the species :D

digitldlnkwnt
04-18-2003, 07:03 AM
I had a VW before (MKIV) and it was nice inside, but they had problems too. The plastic handles peeled, and it rattled like crazy. Not to mention those great seat warmers and mirror defrosters broke or malfunctioned every season. I like less things...its less stuff to break. [/B][/QUOTE]

Did the dealersahip at least give you free lube before raping you to fix all that stuff....?
My boy has an MKIV and its quick....but VW's are too specific altogether. With part numbers that change through half a year?

"Less is more"
I always thought that was the Honda ideal when it came to things like the JDM hatches and CTR.

cmk05
04-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Crystal and Divine (you can meet em at the corner of 11th and 43rd) make good armrests when they're leaning over doing their oral thang.

Loudpedal
04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by RiceCzechs

Bones to pick include the following:

1) The seatback memory issue
2) No center armrest
4) Seat belts are mounted WAY back there on the pillar
5) Girlfriend has complained about the lack of an "Oh Shit" handle.

Complete agreement on 1,2,4 & 5. I basically walked away from getting a RSX-S as there was no way I would pay an extra 10K for a car without a bloody armrest.

I also would have liked the car to have power operated rear swing out windows.

jaydub
04-18-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by cmk05
Crystal and Divine (you can meet em at the corner of 11th and 43rd) make good armrests when they're leaning over doing their oral thang.

I said I wanted to rest my arm on something, not piss razorblades. :D

digitldlnkwnt
04-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by jaydub

I said I wanted to rest my arm on something, not piss razorblades. :D

Yep he took it there......wow thas a bad mental picture

cmk05
04-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Razorblade pissin' is benign compared to the prolapsed rectum i got after eating tacobell every day this week.

cmk05
04-18-2003, 09:55 AM
VD's and inverted bungholes are so much more fun to talk about than tachometers and stuff.

2k2_nbp_egg
04-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by cmk05
VD's and inverted bungholes are so much more fun to talk about than tachometers and stuff.

In....deed......

I'm happy with the interior of this car, cause its the main thing that justifies its stock performance/stock exterior, which are both lacking IMO. My friend saw an SRT-4 parked the other day, and he said it looks decent on the exterior, but the interior is just absolute cheap shit. He couldnt see the seats tho, because the SRTs owner's wife was too fat :(

My only gripes with the interior is that it didn't come w/ a leather option, the stock system blows, no arm rest....and wow, thats about it. Other than that i really like the ergonomic and aesthetic qualities that our interior has.