PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts to make EP owners proud!

asolo
04-16-2003, 08:41 PM
I did a lot of research before I bought my EP and think that it is a great car. However, after thinking long about my decision, I am even happier....why am I happier?.......Well, I guess it all started when I paced a 97' prelude with CAI, headers, and exhaust. I kept up with him till about 80 or so and then he started to pull slowly. Hmmmm... 15K for a civic vs. 22-24K (1997 dollars) for a car that doesn't require premium fuel and has no mods. Then I messed around with a new 350Z. Yes, he did pull on me, but again, not like I was standing still or anything (really kicked my butt up a hill though). Is the extra performance margin you get from this car worth 18-20K more, less gas milage, more insurance, AND premium fuel? Maybe for a few, but not for most people.
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that you can't beat the compromise of the EP and that if you don't race it, (SCCA, 1/4, etc) you are just almost as fast (roughly) as a mustang or camaro for the everyday driver b/c you might punch it from a stoplight to 80 or so and then shut down.
Okay, am I rambling or do you guys/gals agree?:confused:

Loudpedal
04-16-2003, 08:45 PM
I tried a 5th gear roll on at 60 Mph against a Jetta 2.0L (115Hp) and we remained neck and neck until about 85 Mph.

I gotta differ on this one, our cars aint fast stock.

asolo
04-16-2003, 09:08 PM
I'm not saying our cars are fast, I guess I'm just saying that they can almost keep up with "fast" cars to a point. Although, there is one thing about my post that I guess I should point out. When racing someone (like a roll-on on the highway) the winner is measured in who can out-accelerate the other and it doesn't matter if it is 5 in or 5 car lengths. I guess I thought that usually when people talk about racing someone else it was a clear victory like the other car just absolutely spanked the other one. The vision I have in my head is a Viper against a Geo. Like I said, I'm not sure that I can really explain my thoughts, but one thing I can tell is that I'm happy w/ my car b/c the compromise of quickness, price, insurance, gas milage, comfort, quality, etc. But I agree, the EP is definately not the fastest thing on the road by any means. Cheers

TEKBRAIN
04-16-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
I tried a 5th gear roll on at 60 Mph against a Jetta 2.0L (115Hp) and we remained neck and neck until about 85 Mph.

You forgot to downshift in 3rd gear...:mad:

ep3_hatch
04-16-2003, 09:42 PM

Who races in 5th at 60?

Suk02Si
04-16-2003, 09:45 PM
yeah, last time I launched in 5th I lost to an 88 Accord

Max
04-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Learn how to drive buddy, and only after that go out race people.

Tekdemon
04-16-2003, 10:54 PM
lol I once lost to an 89 Excel launching in 5th...

Oh wait, no, only crackheads do that =P
Seriously though, why would you be in 5th at 60mph other than to save gas? With hondata you could still be in 2nd =P

LordKoo
04-16-2003, 11:01 PM
According to Road& track, Car& driver and Temple of Vtec, our EPs require prenium gas. I used to run 87 for like 5k miles. But then once i shifted to 93, the car really pulls hard all the time.

LordKoo
04-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Another thing I just found out that may make you guys happier!

Do elbow rest on the doors of our EPs, the area where you can rest your elbow is soft. The rest of the plastic part is hard. Man.. I am impressed with Honda how they can mix plastic and make this part soft that part hard. :)

HokieSi
04-17-2003, 05:44 AM
You mean to tell me you guys don't launch in 5th gear? I just rev up to 6k and drop the clutch.

hahahahhaha, j/k. Please don't launch in 5th (there goes the tranny & the clutch)

streaker666
04-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
According to Road& track, Car& driver and Temple of Vtec, our EPs require prenium gas. I used to run 87 for like 5k miles. But then once i shifted to 93, the car really pulls hard all the time.

Would someone be able to verify that? EPs 'require' premium gasoline? I've read almost every report and review of the EP and none says that's a requirement. I'm just thinking this is another case of placebo effect. Our manuals say 87 is the requirement, and the gas companies always state that going with a higher octane won't boost power or enhance performance unless it's required OR that your car is old and poorly maintained...

??

Loudpedal
04-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Max
Learn how to drive buddy, and only after that go out race people.

Like I'd actually "race" a freaking base Jetta. Anyways, who said anything about race, I'm pretty sure asolo was asking "...do you guys/gals agree..." with his pacing experience (which I don't consider racing). I simply offered a similar experience from a different viewpoint.

How about you learn how to read posts buddy, and only after that go out and respond to people.

SER Speedalot
04-17-2003, 06:06 AM
sorry buddy, a 350z did more than "pull" on you ok. you know you got wasted. lets see...160 horse 4 cylinder agains a 287 horsepower v6....sorry, you got wasted. either that, or he wasn't really racing you. i love the ep, i think its smokin fast for the price and all, but don't tell those tall tales bro.

Loudpedal
04-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by asolo
but one thing I can tell is that I'm happy w/ my car b/c the compromise of quickness, price, insurance, gas milage, comfort, quality, etc.

Agreed. It's the combination of all of these (plus a few) which is why I bought my EP. I don't think theres a better car on the market for the price.

Having said that, there are times I wish I had bought the WRX or S4.

f1fever
04-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Well, stock EP is slow ok! But I still think we have a pretty good handling compare to others in the same class. I'll say with better tires (which I will look into this summer), we can beat lots of car in auto-x.

Did I mention I lost to a mini-van before? (seriously) Damn, I need some mod...

asolo
04-17-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by SER Speedalot
sorry buddy, a 350z did more than "pull" on you ok. you know you got wasted. lets see...160 horse 4 cylinder agains a 287 horsepower v6....sorry, you got wasted. either that, or he wasn't really racing you. i love the ep, i think its smokin fast for the price and all, but don't tell those tall tales bro.

I will be the first to call B.S. on people and in this case, and I knew people would question it. I guess the only way to find out is to mess with a 350Z for yourself. Yes, the 350Z was pulling on me, BUTTTTTTTTT, not very quickly. And yes, the driver knew how to drive very well. To put this whole thread in perspective, think about a 1/4 race between a 350Z or mustang or whatever-An EP pulls a 15.5-16.0 (depending on who you talk to) and a 350Z's times are around 14.5 I'm guessing? That's 1 to 1 1/2 secs slower. Time 1.5 secs on your watch and see how little time that really is. There will not be that much distance between the two cars.

Don't forget the original point of my post, it is the best compromise in many areas, not the best in any one area. I'm pround of my mini-minivan. Blue Skies:p

Accordexcpe95
04-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Friend of mine got a automagic 350z :confused: . i think i should ask him for a friendly race and see how it "pulls" :o

JoshSI
04-17-2003, 08:13 AM

I will be the first to call B.S. on people and in this case, and I knew people would question it. I guess the only way to find out is to mess with a 350Z for yourself. Yes, the 350Z was pulling on me, BUTTTTTTTTT, not very quickly. And yes, the driver knew how to drive very well. To put this whole thread in perspective, think about a 1/4 race between a 350Z or mustang or whatever-An EP pulls a 15.5-16.0 (depending on who you talk to) and a 350Z's times are around 14.5 I'm guessing? That's 1 to 1 1/2 secs slower. Time 1.5 secs on your watch and see how little time that really is. There will not be that much distance between the two cars.

Don't forget the original point of my post, it is the best compromise in many areas, not the best in any one area. I'm pround of my mini-minivan. Blue Skies:p

1.5 seconds is equal to about 15 car lengths or so on the quarter mile. Thats a pretty big lead there!

asolo
04-17-2003, 10:42 AM
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that you can't beat the compromise of the EP and that if you don't race it, (SCCA, 1/4, etc)

Okay, lets try this again. I'm NOT trying to tell you how freakin fast our EP is or is not. I used the 1/4 mile times of 14.5 and 16.0 secs as an example, but as you can see from my quote above. it will make a difference if you race for competition, but not a noticable difference on the street. Who, knows maybe I have a weak point, or I can't convey it properly. All I know is that I am very happy with my purchase b/c it satisfies 95% of my desires in a car. Hope this helps. :D

Loudpedal
04-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by streaker666

Would someone be able to verify that? EPs 'require' premium gasoline? I've read almost every report and review of the EP and none says that's a requirement. I'm just thinking this is another case of placebo effect. Our manuals say 87 is the requirement, and the gas companies always state that going with a higher octane won't boost power or enhance performance unless it's required OR that your car is old and poorly maintained...

??

Streaker, Temple of VTEC did a dyno with our EP and realized a 3Hp increase and I think at least 3 ft. lbs of addl. torque with 91 octane vs. regular. I'll try to find the article and PM you.

Will2K2
04-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by SER Speedalot

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only HP and TQ enter this equation you also have to factor in:

vehicle weight, lbs/hp, lbs/ft/tq, gear ratios, Aerodynamic drag at speed, full tank vs.empty tank of gas=weight, etc..etc........

Look at the Mecury Marauder(for example), 300hp, 3?? lb/ft tq, BUT HEAVY ASS CAR, WAY WRONG GEARING = EP OWNS THE Marauder!!!!!!!!

A Honda Odyessy has 240hp but its not faster than an EP, HP and TQ mean nothing, you gotta look at the whole picture

streaker666
04-17-2003, 11:55 AM

Streaker, Temple of VTEC did a dyno with our EP and realized a 3Hp increase and I think at least 3 ft. lbs of addl. torque with 91 octane vs. regular. I'll try to find the article and PM you.

LoudPedal, check your PM...see what you think. Thanks again.

StrangeShadow
04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
1.5 seconds is equal to about 15 car lengths or so on the quarter mile. Thats a pretty big lead there!
ditto...was about to say the same.

mustang or camaro
umm...those are some 12 sec cars...they sortof eat eps w/out chewing...:o
I hope to one day be able to make a few z28 and cobra owners I now feel stupid when we race, however, thinking *stock, the ep is nowhere near that, can't even begin to compare...
fifever: your sig is awesome!!!!

BSEVEER
04-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Mustangs and Camaros are 12 sec. cars???:rolleyes: didn't think they were quite that fast.

asolo
04-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Will2K2

vehicle weight, lbs/hp, lbs/ft/tq, gear ratios, Aerodynamic drag at speed, full tank vs.empty tank of gas=weight, etc..etc........

Look at the Mecury Marauder(for example), 300hp, 3?? lb/ft tq, BUT HEAVY ASS CAR, WAY WRONG GEARING = EP OWNS THE Marauder!!!!!!!!

A Honda Odyessy has 240hp but its not faster than an EP, HP and TQ mean nothing, you gotta look at the whole picture

Thank you for backing this/me up ;)

asolo
04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow

umm...those are some 12 sec cars...they sortof eat eps w/out chewing...:o

Where have you seen these numbers? I'd say 13.5 at the fastest w/o looking at any specific stats. Maybe you were looking at the drag cars that run NOS. :angel:

SER Speedalot
04-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Will2K2

true true, but i don't think that the weight of the z is that much considering the power. its just a little slower than the s2000...i know this cuz my buddy has a s2000 (who by the way just won a dyno competition) anyway, he's beaten z's but not by much, and i think you'll agree that an s2000 would waste an ep also.

Tekdemon
04-17-2003, 04:34 PM
lol if you seriously think a 350Z isn't able to pull on the EP because of weight or drag or whatever, you're insane...

As for the Mustang, the stock mustang with 190HP is slow as hell and heavy as hell...but the GT can beat us pretty good...and by the time you get to the Mach 1 it's bye bye...forget the cobra...let's not talk about the cobra...

The EP isn't a bad car, and it's not a slow car...it's a well balanced fun to drive car...that isn't quite as fast as I wish it could be...but the price was right =P so I don't really feel bad at all...even the stupid stock mustang costs more.

siver-SI
04-17-2003, 07:26 PM
I have to agree on the weight issue. I am restoring a 78 Linolcon Mark V and it his a very large 460 CI engine or 7.5 Liters. Well the engine has some good balls with a 4 barrel carb that states Ford on it but since it was Canada and did not have all the emisions we do it has a Holly carb on it I found out durring a rebuild of it. Well with a 1100lb eninge and trans with about a 4000lb body and some bad low end gearing in first the thing just sucks off the the line will not even spin the tires it is so low. But since it was made for higher road speeds I will not shift into 3rd gear untill about 90 MPH when I have it floored. Then I still have a very usable gear till about 140 MPH when the front end of this tank starts lifting off the ground and I have very little stearing left.

The thing is though even though I have a lot of horses under the 6 foot long hood(not kidding) and my EP can blow it away. But if I took them both on a long highway my Mark V would win in the long run once it got going. The EP is great off the line but in the long run it starts to lose it. I have to say I am tring to figure out how to fix this. The only thing that I have come up with is trying to fit the 6 speed in it so far.

Jester
04-17-2003, 08:48 PM
just thought that I'd slip something in here.
I saw a show on TV where they dynoed a 96 GT Mustang convertible. just over 160 hp to the wheels, I had to check it out on the net and it seems that most stock GT's don't run much better numbers and they are inconsistent as hell.
don't know if a newer one would be all that different and considering it's a heavy ass car I don't think that it would be that much faster. don't get me wrong it would win. anyone else see this?