PDA

View Full Version : i want nitrous...

fishboy
06-19-2002, 09:58 AM
do you think i can get away with a wet, direct port 80 shot? my friend thinks i'll be alright, but i'm not so sure, maybe a 60 shot or less. i'm not planning on upgrading my internals any time soon so i think an 80 might be too much. i am a total nitrous newb. i have been researching and will until i feel safe about it. i really want it and i was wondering what you guys thought about it.

Jesse02SI
06-19-2002, 10:46 AM
I woud go with a 60 shot to start of with.. I am planing on juicing mine after i get my intake exh. and headers then the JUICE IS ON

Pradamuimui
06-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Nitrous, nitrous....why would you want nitrous?? You have a brand new car, and you are already trying to blow ur engine up!! Why in the world would you wanna do that??? If you want to make ur new Si fast, why dont you just wait for the mods to come out for it and do ur engine internals etc....COME ON NITROUS???

IceD out N CALI
06-19-2002, 12:05 PM
80 shot? dang thats very aggressive i wouldnt do that if i was you, just to make sure our engines can take it but keep us posted on how it responds cause i wanna run nitrous also

xlr8
06-19-2002, 03:25 PM
2002hatchsi already is spraying his car

Pradamuimui
06-19-2002, 04:19 PM
I know it's HORRIBLE!!!!

xlr8
06-19-2002, 04:23 PM
noy realy n2o doesnt blow up a motor. poor installation, improper jet size and improper use does. nitrous is safe if you know what you are doing, not for the new veiwers of the fast and the furious

Pradamuimui
06-19-2002, 04:31 PM
I dotn know who told you that nitrous was safe??? But whoever told you that is a liar!! Nitrous isnt safe, no matter how many safety precautions you take. I know several people who have ruined thier engines by adding nitrous oxide, and everyone that I have talked to that has once used NOs, speaks out HIGHLY AGAINST IT!!! Use Nos if you want to on ur new engine, but when ur stuck with a car that isnt worth crap and you still have to pay car payments on it, youre gonna wish that you had just stuck with engine mods!!!

xlr8
06-19-2002, 04:35 PM
i know plenty of people that have mlown motors with nitrous, but if you add a large shot of it on a stock motor the bottom end may not be strong enough to hold the power. nitrous is safer then a turbo if its set up properly

Pradamuimui
06-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Nitrous and the word safe, doesnt even belong in the same sentence!!!

brianc593
06-19-2002, 04:47 PM
So is it safe or not??? Does anyone know of a good webpage with correct info on nos? I'm interested in it.

xlr8
06-19-2002, 05:06 PM
call any well respected shop and they will tell you its safe with a small shot. the only problem is that not many if any shops have torn down one of these engines to tell you how much they can handle. i was told by a tech at king motorsports, not to run a 50 shot or bigger on a stock d16z6 because the rods cannt handle the power. anyone who beleives that nitrous along destroys an engine is mistaken, but it is common. all nitrous is, is a higher concentration of oxygen then the atmosphere. as anyone knows if you add air you must add fuel, ie more power from nitrous. go to nos's website and they have a few rules for using nitrous. read these before ordering

IceD out N CALI
06-19-2002, 06:28 PM
I'd stay away from nitrous but many people use it with few problems, but then again other blow up their engines. I'm more interested in the Type S engine or the JDM engine(once prices are more reasonable) those engines have a balanced crank, and stronger rods to deal with nitrous, ours are just alright

Idonthaveahatch
06-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by xlr8
call any well respected shop and they will tell you its safe with a small shot. the only problem is that not many if any shops have torn down one of these engines to tell you how much they can handle. i was told by a tech at king motorsports, not to run a 50 shot or bigger on a stock d16z6 because the rods cannt handle the power. anyone who beleives that nitrous along destroys an engine is mistaken, but it is common. all nitrous is, is a higher concentration of oxygen then the atmosphere. as anyone knows if you add air you must add fuel, ie more power from nitrous. go to nos's website and they have a few rules for using nitrous. read these before ordering

I have to completely agree with anything xlr8 has said, NITROUS CAN BE SAFE IS INSTALLED PROPERLY AND MAINTAINS THE PROPER A/F MIXTURE...

2002HatchSi
06-20-2002, 05:20 AM
Dude im working with a 50 shot and thats plenty... it still need to be set right, but dam its fast............. me and my dad are still trying to figure this out.. but when im done it will be awesome......i would not go with an 80 shot too my juice........ with my 50 shot when i hit like 4,000 rpm my tires are just buring out..... so u dont need more the 50.. but i dont think i will keep NOS cause its serious wear and tear on a new car.. i mean dam u just paid 20,000 weshould take better care of our cars:)

fishboy
06-20-2002, 09:58 AM
ok, so a 40 shot it is then.

the NOS people and car shops all say that a dry 50 shot is safe with no mods on your car. you just have to use it wisely, at WOT only and don't squeeze in 5th or 4th even. my friend had a turboed prelude with NOS a while back and he loved the Nitrous. he even kept the NOS when he yanked out the turbo. when i go that route i'm gonna make sure i have all the knowledge i can get and a shit-load of spark plugs with me. thanks for the replies.

SiCivic2k2
06-20-2002, 12:20 PM
You're not worried about voiding your warranty? If the dealership sees that you can kiss your nice, long, 3yr/36,000 mile warranty goodbye. ;)

SiCivic2k2
06-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Also, here in Texas, it is illegal for you to have it hooked up while driving around on the streets. It's for track use only.

Idonthaveahatch
06-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Cant void the warranty if they dont see it, duh, take it out before you go in??????????

xlr8
06-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SiCivic2k2
Also, here in Texas, it is illegal for you to have it hooked up while driving around on the streets. It's for track use only.
its illegal in all 50 states i think, but it aint illegal if you dont get caught

SiCivic2k2
06-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Well, EXCUUUUSE ME!

xlr8
06-20-2002, 04:19 PM
wasnt trying to be an ass. i was just saying its illegal everywhere.

fishboy
06-20-2002, 04:20 PM
haha.

SiCivic2k2
06-20-2002, 04:24 PM
I know. I was just giving you a hard time ;)

xlr8
06-20-2002, 04:26 PM
i am just thinking that everyone in this post is touchy about the whole n2o subject

SiCivic2k2
06-20-2002, 08:56 PM
I don't know enough about nitrous to be touchy about it. I am just not a fan of it. :)

xlr8
06-21-2002, 02:57 PM
only thing i realy dont like is you cant use it all the time, because its so expensive to refill.

SiCivic2k2
06-21-2002, 03:07 PM
Yeah I know, this guys talkin' shmack and he wants to race you and you're like "Sorry, I'm out of nitrous. Catch me some other time." Pretty stupid. That's just me talkin' :)

fishboy
06-25-2002, 04:20 PM
yeah, but you can still race without your nitrous.

SiCivic2k2
06-25-2002, 10:01 PM
Yeah, if you want to lose.

fishboy
06-26-2002, 09:47 AM
or still win.

Busta J
06-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Or engage Super Secret NNNOOOSSSS bottle #2 and score a pink slip and some mad cash, y0! Just like the subtlely clever Vin Diesel did in the Farst and Furiousio. Oh, Vin Diesel, you prankster, will you ever run out of ideas?

j/k j/k j/k :D

SiCivic2k2
06-26-2002, 05:44 PM
lmao!

CleanBlackSi02
06-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Everyone has a right to their own opinion guys... Some people prefer nitrous, some all motor, some turbo, etc. etc. Whatever the mod, it's best to play it safe. You can't safely run a turbo with 20 lbs of boost on a stocker or a wet 100 shot of nitrous either, ya kno? Be careful with your new Si, especially if it's your daily driver!

DynaSpeed
06-28-2002, 12:37 PM
This goes to all of you that are considering N2O. You're going to get a lobby for each direction... No because of this and that, Yes because of this and that. Well, heres my opinion...-

SPRAY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like your motor and want to spray it, go small shot, 25-50.

If you don't like your motor - go huge .. >50 :)

I can't believe people on this board preach high performance, and in the same sentance tell people that they shouldn't do stuff to make it go faster. :confused:

Spend all of your money, make your Si (or whatever you drive) as fast as you can get it, and go V8 hunting! :D

xlr8
06-28-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
This goes to all of you that are considering N2O. You're going to get a lobby for each direction... No because of this and that, Yes because of this and that. Well, heres my opinion...-

SPRAY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe people on this board preach high performance, and in the same sentance tell people that they shouldn't do stuff to make it go faster. :confused:

Spend all of your money, make your Si (or whatever you drive) as fast as you can get it, and go V8 hunting! :D
hell yeah. thats the spirit. kill the v8 kill it kill it

SiCivic2k2
06-28-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed

SPRAY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

who preaches high performance?

miamijdm
06-30-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
ok, so a 40 shot it is then.

the NOS people and car shops all say that a dry 50 shot is safe with no mods on your car. you just have to use it wisely, at WOT only and don't squeeze in 5th or 4th even. my friend had a turboed prelude with NOS a while back and he loved the Nitrous. he even kept the NOS when he yanked out the turbo. when i go that route i'm gonna make sure i have all the knowledge i can get and a shit-load of spark plugs with me. thanks for the replies.

I don't think you can go dry kit on these cars reason being they don't have a return line for the fuel.. I'm not 100% on this but if you put nitrous I think you have to go wet...

civicracer1128
07-19-2002, 09:00 AM
ok, ill admit i didnt read every post so if any of this has been said, im sorry for repeating it.
1) nitrous is as safe as a turbo if you use it correctly. all it is is oxygen....thats what makes the car go. nitrous oxide is not some strange concoction similar to jett fuel that blows up cars....its nitrogen, oxygen and a VERY small amount of sulfer dioxide to deter people from inhaling it.
2) most nitrous engine deaths occer from people spraying for too long....over 15seconds or spraying for more then 5 or so at 60-80 miles an hour. this causes too much heat in teh engine burning up plugs and whatnot. using a reasonable shot for the alotted time is safe. another huge one is idiots redlining while spraying....great way to blow your engine. use a window switch to avoid this.
3) i ran a 50 shot on my AUTOMATIC CIVIC EX. not one problem. i did everything correctly and used the right plugs. a fuel pump is a good addition too but not necessary. its more of one of those cover yoru ass when you slip up nitrous mods....window switch is too. my point is that if you guys have never ran nitrous, you dotn understand. ill leave it at that. you cant possibly understand the real deal behind it untill you use it. so dont go knocking people that want to try something new...support em. dont listen to all the people that say its bad...most of them havnt ran nitrous either. just be careful....CHECK YOUR JETS!!!!!THEN DOUBLE CHECK EM BEFORE YOU PUT EM IN!!!! other then that, colder plugs, fuel pump, window switch and bottle heater and your ready to go.
good luck to any of you that try nitrous, youll love it, just dont get carried away....and to all you haters that rely on ignorance to make all your points....good luck at the track when the nitrous guys smoke you. remember a 50shot is 50 horspower...but its about 100+ pounds of torque:D

MoodySi
07-19-2002, 10:39 AM
Use nitrous and be prepared for constant maintenance. Check the plugs and internals. I would not do it to a daily driver.

PJsSCW
07-19-2002, 10:49 AM
Just make sure that you get some colder plugs and you'll be fine with a 50 shot

DamnYo
07-19-2002, 11:24 AM
Is n2o dangerous
Well any Strong MOD on a car can be dangerous, but n2o is just as safe as a turbo and a supercharger as long as you use your brain and don

DamnYo
07-19-2002, 11:25 AM
Can an Auto Tranny handle a 55 shot?
Auto trannies take better advantage of N2O than manuals since it shifts faster and you don't have to lift between gears. An auto tranny should easily handle 55HP of extra power; if anything, the torque converter isn't in question, rather the clutches/bands in the first two forward gears. Nevertheless, you should have NO problems with the 55HP dry setup

How much Horse Power gains will I see with N

civicracer1128
07-19-2002, 11:33 AM
damn, didnt know there were that many clubsi'rs on the board. i should have htought to copy that stuff....well, thats about enough to answer any n20 questions that could come up.

DynaSpeed
07-19-2002, 01:00 PM
Very Informative, Precise, and Non-Biased. Reinforces my decisions on what to purchase.

THANK YOU!

fishboy
07-19-2002, 02:24 PM
ditto. thanks.

mixedupneko
04-07-2003, 11:02 AM
what is a window activation switch ?

DynaSpeed
04-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Little box that hooks to your ignition with "pills" that you plug in. Let's say you put a 3000 rpm pill in the "on" and a 6000 rpm pill on the "off".... when your car hits the 3000, it closes the circuit, and turns whatever you have it hooked into (usually nitrous) on... then off if you go past 6000.

the "window switch" is on the right:
http://www.msdignition.com/images/pn8950-7.gif

JasonS1
04-07-2003, 01:47 PM
So, from what I have read, my initial idea should work.

I was just planning on drilling and tapping a hole into my AEM CAI about 4" above the air filter (aiming the nozzle upstream) and threading a 50 shot N2O nozzle right in.

I figured that as long as it was below the 02 sensor, that the computer would help compensate for the cooler air.

I also figured that since I was spraying it lower into the intake that it wouldn't have as dramatic of an effect as spraying directly into the throttle body.

So all I would have to do is change my plugs and be careful of when and how I use it????

By the way, I really appreciate the advice you guys give out. It is more valuable to me than most of you probably realize.

Thanks.

- Jason

DynaSpeed
04-07-2003, 03:24 PM
whoa...
I don't think I've ever heard of somebody trying what I think you are trying to do. I'd say your nuts.
How are you going to compensate for the leaning out (since you said just an n2o nozzle)? Wouldn't you want to just throw the fuel solenoid along with that to make it a little safer?
Whichever you choose, good luck.