PDA

View Full Version : Building a Subwoofer Enclosure ?

C1V1C
04-17-2003, 12:24 PM
Hi,

Anyone know where to get the MDF board ? I went to home depot but no one seems to know what that is. I did explain it, but they had no clue.

What about the fiberglass resin and other material for fiberglass ?

Please, help out ! Thanks. - Ivan

jaydub
04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
uhh, if Home Depot doesn't know what MDF is, then they must be fucking retarded.

Ask for Medium Density Fiberboard, see if that clears up their clouded brains.

IceD out N CALI
04-17-2003, 03:26 PM
yeah there should be no prob with MDF at home depot:)

Jpax
04-17-2003, 06:58 PM
BUHAHAHahaahaha they didnt know hahahahha omfg.. i would have asked to see the manager. then laugh at him also for hiring the guy.

oogy-boogy
04-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Jeez.........If they didn't know what MDF is that's f-ed up. You went to the right place. It's cheap as well. Be sure to get 3/4" or thicker. I'm under the assumption that you want to make a sealed box.

Couple of things you may want to keep in mind:
- If you're staying with a traditional rectange enclosure use the following calculator in order to get the correct volume for your subs: http://www.sd83.bc.ca/stu/9906/thod-c-sub_box.html or http://www.radiomods.co.nz/speakerboxcalc.html

- Measure twice - cut once.

- Be sure to pre drill all holes BEFORE putting screws in. It will help keep anything from cracking. MDF cracks easily.

- Use a good wood glue between all joints, corners, etc.

- Be sure to seal all internal corners. Some sort of Silicone mixture will work best. Sold in tubes or for caulking dispensers.

- Buy some undercoating spray (poor mans Dynamat spray). Usually sold at automotive shops for spraying the undercarriage of the car (Make sure you buy a botlle that doesn't include "tolene" as an igredient. Bad stuff - causes headaches and brain damage). Spray the whole inside of the box until thoroughly coated after sealing it with the silicone (make sure the silicone is dry). This stuff works great and is cheap. Let it dry before putting your sub in. It will stink for a couple of days.

- Be sure to buy some poly fill for the inside of the box as well. You can find this at any crafts store (or Walmart). It will make a huge difference in bass response. Try different amounts and experiment with it.

Don't forget the following. Good bass is 80% box, 20% subs. Take your time as the box is the most important ingredient.

Good luck!

jaydub
04-18-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Good bass is 80% box, 20% subs. Take your time as the box is the most important ingredient.

Good luck!

:bowdown: Best box advice evarrrrr! People really underestimate the importance of a well made box.

C1V1C
04-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks oogy-boogy for the advise. I really appreciate it.

My plan for subwoofer box will be a hybrid of MDF and Fiberglass (or may be a carbon fiber, if I am crazy enough). The placement will be in the trunk, on the passanger side. so the back of the box will be shaped like the trunk.

I need the MDF for the subwoofer ring and most of the front part. any odd shapes will be fiberglass. I really need to save space for grocery and gym bag :)

I agree that a good box is important, as important as the sub quality itself.

Now I need power tools ......... :( What kind of saw should I get for this project ? Circular saw or Reciprocating Saw ? Sorry, I am not familiar with power tools. I just live here for 4 years, not used to with DIY thingy. But I do cut a perfect circle :)

Thanks again.

oogy-boogy
04-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Any time C1V1C. :D

First off - If you're glassing practice with the material first. There are some great threads on www.sounddomain.com for first time glassers. If your mixture isn't right the box will be to brittle and bow.

Second - Aluminum foil is your friend. Get a huge roll of it at costco or some other place where you can get a big roll. Use this to make all of your forms on your odd shapes and then glass over it.

I hear you on saving space. I have one Solobaric L7 10" in the back as I need room for my gym bag and groceries. Getting old sucks.....lol.

As for tools you will definately need the reciprocating. The circular saw will help you "cut" down on time (lol....I kill myself sometimes). A drill would be priceless as well as one of these bad boys: http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1210183017.105 0757761@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccjiadcidieiifkcehgcemgdffmdflf.0&vertical=TOOL&pid=00917252000

Good luck!

C1V1C
04-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi oogy boogy, thank again ! you save me a lot with that tool, compare to a router.

Cannot wait to get started. School sucks !

C1V1C
04-20-2003, 10:12 AM
oogy boogy, you save me a lot with that tool. That's exactly what I have been looking for. I was plaaning to get a router, but his one definitely cheaper and just fit my budget.

oh my ..cannot wait to get started, school really sucks.

oogy-boogy
04-22-2003, 09:16 AM
Glad to help. Keep me posted on your project. if you need any more help feel free to ask!

:D

C1V1C
04-22-2003, 09:39 PM
well, I have no idea how come my post is up there twice.

Brettnyt
04-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Dayum... I wanna run 1500-3000watts in a Ported box (both Kickers) but i have no idea about building enclosures... If i get a well made ported enclosure, how much noise could this thing make? Enough to rumble 5 cars back?

BlackNRedSi
04-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Good luck with it C1V1C.....

some pointers for the fiberglass/resine....

be real careful with the resine, it gets really sticky icky....

let it dry, be patient, if it looks dried, still keep a heat gun on it, but dont over kill with the heat...you dont want a inperfection with the resine.....

its going to take you a while to do the fiberglass (if your going that route) so dont think its just you, even pro(s) one guy i sat in with to do my enclosure, took 12-15 man hours to do...so be patient....

if you mess up just once, it will hose the entire job...i really cant stress this anymore, but take your time pulling the resine around the fiberglass when you are laying down the matting....

if you have a laptop bring it with you while you are doing the box if you need any pointers IM me anytime, or give me a call....

good luck and god speed! :)

Eric

oogy-boogy
04-27-2003, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
Good luck with it C1V1C.....

some pointers for the fiberglass/resine....

be real careful with the resine, it gets really sticky icky....

let it dry, be patient, if it looks dried, still keep a heat gun on it, but dont over kill with the heat...you dont want a inperfection with the resine.....

its going to take you a while to do the fiberglass (if your going that route) so dont think its just you, even pro(s) one guy i sat in with to do my enclosure, took 12-15 man hours to do...so be patient....

if you mess up just once, it will hose the entire job...i really cant stress this anymore, but take your time pulling the resine around the fiberglass when you are laying down the matting....

if you have a laptop bring it with you while you are doing the box if you need any pointers IM me anytime, or give me a call....

good luck and god speed! :)

Eric

Great advice from a guy who knows his $$hit.

C1V1C, check out BlackNRedSi's link to see his glassed box. Sweet looking thing IMO!

C1V1C
04-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Great advice from a guy who knows his $$hit.

C1V1C, check out BlackNRedSi's link to see his glassed box. Sweet looking thing IMO!

yeah, but I want a "DUAL TIP", instead of a "SINGLE TIP" hehehe. Sorry that was fo exhaust :)

Thanks Eric for the advise, I understand that fiberglass work takes time and patience thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it.

If you guys can find out, what brand of resin or any material should I buy. I prefer a better one, so I don't have to do it twice. Eric, could you ask your friend who did yours ?

Thanks a lot !!

BlackNRedSi
04-28-2003, 08:49 AM
Will do, calling right now...sorry for the delay, the other day i cleared out all my posts i was subscribed to MY F'UP! :)

will let you know before the days end....

E.

C1V1C
04-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Any guys know what size of wire should I use for 300W subwoofer ? the length is only 3 ft at most.

What about Speaker wire with 75 Watt ? is 14 or 16 gauge enough ?

Thanks,

Ivan

oogy-boogy
05-01-2003, 03:46 AM
What are you running to the sub (RMS watts)? I usually try to stay on the higher side for subs. Personally, I always use 12 awg for my subs. Think of wiring as plumbing.....the larger the diameter (gauge) the higher the flow rate (of electricity). Of course there are a ton of other laws and concepts to go along with this but it should be your starting point.

BlackNRedSi
05-01-2003, 06:54 AM
What are you running to the sub (RMS watts)? I usually try to stay on the higher side for subs. Personally, I always use 12 awg for my subs. Think of wiring as plumbing.....the larger the diameter (gauge) the higher the flow rate (of electricity). Of course there are a ton of other laws and concepts to go along with this but it should be your starting point.

AGREE!

C1V1C
05-01-2003, 07:02 AM
The wattage from the amp will be 300 watt. I think 12 awg should be OK , right ?

BlackNRedSi
05-01-2003, 08:44 AM
yup that will be fine....unless you want to use fiberoptics! :)

Tekdemon
05-11-2003, 04:47 AM

- Buy some undercoating spray (poor mans Dynamat spray). Usually sold at automotive shops for spraying the undercarriage of the car (Make sure you buy a botlle that doesn't include "tolene" as an igredient. Bad stuff - causes headaches and brain damage). Spray the whole inside of the box until thoroughly coated after sealing it with the silicone (make sure the silicone is dry). This stuff works great and is cheap. Let it dry before putting your sub in. It will stink for a couple of days.

Err...I'm guessing you mean Toluene...and I've probably breathed more of that junk than anybody really should haha...go organic chemistry labs...

*brain fizzes out*
What? What was I saying again?

But seriously, if you work in a well vented area it shouldn't be too big of a deal...

oogy-boogy
05-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Yup.....Guess the melon wasn't helpin with the spellin'.....

Huh? What?:D

2k3vbpEP
05-11-2003, 05:15 PM
That would be the stuff. That and Naptha (stuff moth balss are made from) yummy smelling stuff