PDA

View Full Version : Is this true???

XspeedSi02
04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
I was at my local Advance Auto Parts this morning and they have those TVs that has info on cars and their own commercials. When I was there someone began talking on the TV about the list of most stolen cars for 2002-2003. Well when they got to #1, I was shocked. The 2002-2003 Civic Si is the number one car on the most stolen list for this year. I don't know if I believe this or not. What do you guys think?? :eek:

ssvr6
04-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Total BS. Everyone knows it's the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

Steve

streaker666
04-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Hahahaha, how is that possible? This can only be true if they call Si buyers thieves!

Come on...how many Si's (SiR's) made it to North America? The numbers just don't add up for this story to be true...

XspeedSi02
04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
I didn't think it was possible. I just had to let you guys know. Thought it was kinda funny when I heard it. :D

napapacoda
04-17-2003, 02:07 PM
I got confused... did you hear that in the store from someone or did you hear it on a reputable tv station(if a tv station, which one?). Maybe by percentage of vehicles sold, due to limited sales, SI's have the highest percentage stolen. That would seem fair comparing apples to apples. Otherwise no doubt about it - it has to be the Accord or Camry.

Mugen Power
04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
If it's about percentage, I'd think that the previous generation Si would have had a higher rate of being stolen. Even so, the ITRs should be even higher...

Tenacious G
04-17-2003, 02:17 PM
there are probably more camry/accords stolen than the total number of EPs manufactured.

last i heard the early 90s versions of those cars were the most popular stolen car.

King Kang
04-17-2003, 02:24 PM
I heard in 2000 that the most frequently stolen car in the US was the civic SI. I saw it on TV....dateline or something. It really made me wonder though....like those anti-marijuana commercials....where do these folks get their stats?

peace,

Mugen Power
04-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by King Kang
I heard in 2000 that the most frequently stolen car in the US was the civic SI. I saw it on TV....dateline or something. It really made me wonder though....like those anti-marijuana commercials....where do these folks get their stats?

peace,

I can definitely believe the thing about the 2000 Si. If it's based on number stolen out of number sold/produced, that Si should be up there. I personally know of 2 people who've had theirs stolen and read of many more that got jacked.

IceD out N CALI
04-17-2003, 02:37 PM
maybe it was a mistake, and they were referring to the 99-00 si. cuz those si's do have higher theft rates, those b-16s are highly sought after

f1fever
04-17-2003, 02:47 PM
I don't really understand... Civic is still affordable... Why bother to steal it? Why not a WRX, Benz, or BMW.

Mugen Power
04-17-2003, 02:53 PM
For one thing, so many parts are interchangeable with Civics (i.e. B16 into a Civic DX). Also, the 99-00 Si were usually marked up, making it a lot more expensive than a normal, lowly Civic.

As for the WRX, I don't think people would be swapping those EJ20s into a normal Impreza cuz people who like modding cars probably wouldn't have bought a normal Impreza anyway. So in other words, not too many parts being swapped out of WRXs.

For the Bimmers and the Benzes, they usually have all these fancy anti-theft and immobilizer things as standard, making it harder for your average thug to just break in and drive it off. Not that they're not stolen, but just look how many Civics there are rolling around. That's a huge market for stolen parts, right there.

IceD out N CALI
04-17-2003, 03:02 PM
ar'nt the 2002+ Sis hard to steal with the immobilizer and all?

fishboy
04-17-2003, 03:16 PM
i think they are most likely talking about the 99-00 si. nobody wants our car. if it was ours we would have more members saying my si got jacked last night. and typex and that dude who left a spare key in his bro's car doesn't count. everyday there is a new thread about someone getting their car jacked on clubsi.

IceD out N CALI
04-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
i think they are most likely talking about the 99-00 si. nobody wants our car. if it was ours we would have more members saying my si got jacked last night. and typex and that dude who left a spare key in his bro's car doesn't count. everyday there is a new thread about someone getting their car jacked on clubsi.

i agree thats gotta be it, just a mistake

fishboy
04-17-2003, 03:28 PM
the funny thing is when k20s become more popular the theives will want to turn their attention to the type-s because of their engine. why steal an si when the type-s has more power, right? i hope anyway. i think we'll be safe for at least a few years.

does anybody know how the ype-s owners are holding up to theft? we should be equally concerned for their sake because they have the same immobilizer system as we do.

streaker666
04-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Not to say this to worry anyone but there are always ways for a thief to steal our cars if they wanted to. The immobilizer and alarms are good deterents but they can be disarmed if the thief has the right equipment.

Notice in the manual it warns of situations where if you have two Honda keys for two different Hondas (say you have the 02 Si and the 03 Accord Coupe) you may not be able to start the Si unless you take away the Accord's key because the Si may receive the wrong signal. So imagine if you have a device that acts the same way, just that this device reads and generates the code needed to start your car. Voila, your car's immobilizer has been rendered useless. (I'm not sure exactly how this works, but in theory it could be similar to this example). Adding an alarm definitely would help tho...as Jaydub would say, only if it's installed properly.

HokieSi
04-17-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Honda engineers are not idots and immobilizer systems are meant to keep your car in the same place you left it. Imagine the immobilizer system, according to the honda website there are about 1 million codes in the keyspace. (About 2^20 or 20 bits). Now you tell me if there is a chip which contains a binary code inside a honda key. In order to start the system. The key sends its Binary Coded Key to the ECU and the ECU verifies that it the key matches the ECU. Now if Honda engineers had half a brain they would

1. Use a one way encryption algorithm to store the key as ciphertext in the ECU so you cant just steal the key out of the ecu somehow.
2. If someone were to use a brute force key generator to generate all possible combinations, I hope that Honda engineers made it to where you physically have to remove the key from the immobilizer system.

It is true that if you have physical access to a computer or device you can hack it and use its resources.

If 1 and 2 are implemented it would take well over 3 months of non stop key guessing in the worst case.

However, you could get one of those crooked Honda key makers to make another key but if i'm not mistaken. When you bought you car you got a little piece of paper with a code on it that will allow you to make another key for your ecu/immobilizer.

(If i've made any big mistakes, excuse me cause i'm pre-gamin. I'm about go hit up the Blacksburg bar scene.)

Also, I would bet that the only ways to steal our car is to flat bed it off or somehow obtain a key that matches the target ecu.