PDA

View Full Version : Guages?

SF-SI-02
04-17-2003, 09:00 PM
So why do turbo modified cars have so many guages? Is there anything you should really monitor? I.E. if you don't something goes terribly wrong? I always see 2 guages or more, I assume that these represent bar and temp, but temp of what? What does the intercooler cool? I ask, because I used to have a european turbo (will not mention by name for fear of offending) and there were no boost-related guages, just fun. Could someone please explain?

Cheers

Rueda del Queso
04-18-2003, 07:54 AM
The boost gauge you would want because that tells you the psi of air going through the turbo system. If it's too low, that tells you you are losing pressure somewhere, possibly a leak, and if it is too high you may have another problem (messed up wastegate) and could possibly damage your engine. The temperature gauge you refer too might be exhaust temperature or water temperature. Once again, if too high or low, signifies a problem. Other gauges you might have would be an oil pressure gauge and an air/fuel gauge. Same deal with them. So with pretty much all the gauges, they help let you know if there is any problem in your car, but if it is a good kit, installed and tuned well, chances are you won't run into any problems. The intercooler comes air being sucked in by the turbine so the engine gets cooler, denser air from it.

mhx
04-18-2003, 07:58 AM
EGT and air/fuel help to tune the turbo as well..
boost is good because you dont want to see any boost "spiking"
which could be really bad!

EPTree
04-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Guages=peace of mind and leetness. :eek: Though I think the only MUST HAVES are a boost guage and an AF guage.

ephatchback
05-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Don't forget the fuel pressure guage. You gotta keep tabs on that.

ssvr6
06-19-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by EPTree
Guages=peace of mind and leetness. :eek: Though I think the only MUST HAVES are a boost guage and an AF guage.

These are the 2 I'm running as well as the VAFC.

Steve

fsugatorbait
06-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Steve, where did you end up getting your A-pilar dual pod?

ssvr6
06-20-2003, 11:44 AM
It's not made for the car and I'm already working on getting something like the WRX on the dash above the AC vents.

This pod fits like ass.

Steve

CSMsi311
06-20-2003, 01:12 PM
how come more people don't use EGT gauges? if i had to do it over again i would get a EGT instead of A/F.

A/F on a stock O2 sensor is not very accurate. I BELIEVE it is only based on a 1V signal, unlike a WBO2 which is in the 3-5V ball park.

yourinmyw0rld
06-22-2003, 08:27 PM
i just have the boost and air/fuel.

EPTree
06-23-2003, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking of destroying a metra kit and trying to mount guages under the head unit. They make some small enough.

ssvr6
06-23-2003, 09:47 AM
If you have time, pick the current Modified Magazine. They have the D3 Si on the cover.

They have a custom gauge pod on the dash that I'm sweating. I emailed the editor and the D3 guys to try and find out how much it is and where I can get it.

Steve

EPTree
06-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Scan it if u can :angel: That's what I'm interested in. I don't want a guage pod advertising turbo, I want something subtle in the dash that's functional and looks like it could have come that way from the factory.

BlasTech
06-23-2003, 09:59 AM
If you're thinking of getting into fiberglassing, gague pods sound like a good starter project... small, not airtight critical or load-bearing.

Then again, It try to make everything, even when I shouldnt. "If it aint broke, fix it anyway!" :D

ssvr6
06-23-2003, 10:10 AM
This sits ON the dash directly above the center section where the AC vents are.

I'll see if I could have the pages scanned.

Steve