PDA

View Full Version : Is 21 pounds too heavy? (Rim weight)

n8s si
04-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Looking to purchase rims this week. I found a set that weigh in at 21 pounds each. Is that too heavy or will it be ok. Anyone know how much the stockers weigh? thanx for the help.

hamlet9634
04-18-2003, 05:41 AM
stock rims are in the 18-20 range in weight. I don't think we have an exact weight because everyone weighs them with the stock tires already mounted.

In a word, YES. 21 lbs is too heavy.

If you're looking at 17" rims, look for rims in the 16-17lb category tops.
If you're looking at 16... 15 should be TOPS.

to give you an idea, 16" Volks (several rims they have) weigh in at about 11lbs.

NXK20
04-18-2003, 06:54 AM
I agree. I f you get 21 pound wheels you'll probally be unhappy and end up getting lighter wheels later on. Might as well do it right the first time.

BlackNRedSi
04-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Taking off my stock wheels today, blew a tire the other day, will weigh my rim for you and let you know what the stock weigh is!

but 21 pounds is real heavy for aftermarket, unless you want really strong rims...it all depends, my brothers spinners he has on his lexus weighs like 22 pounds each, but they are spinnes, they have extra crap on them so when he stops the rims keep spinning...

i would suggest what the other 2 say, go with something a little lighter, cause you might be upset with the performance...

Eric
Happy Easter everyone that cares!

AznPower
04-18-2003, 10:05 AM
keep in mind the lighter u go the better the chances of them getting bent on a pot hole or something.

hamlet9634
04-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by AznPower
keep in mind the lighter u go the better the chances of them getting bent on a pot hole or something.

that's not necessarily true. Some wheels are heavy and bend easily, too. And some very light wheels can be very strong and very difficult to bend.

the kosei wheels i have are about 15lbs each for 16" wheels and have not bent ever. The wheels are used in a lot of SCCA autocross cars, and nobody i've talked to has bent a rim, either. Volks wheels are pretty much indestructable, and very light, too (and expensive). FORGED wheels, are usually light AND strong.

BlackNRedSi
04-18-2003, 11:00 AM
n8s si...........you took the words right outa my mouth!

Eric

fishboy
04-18-2003, 11:05 AM
are they heavy? it really depends on what you want, but the fact that you are even asking leads me to believe you are weight conscious and should really be looking for a lighter rim. :)

klik
04-18-2003, 11:25 AM
what about 16" with 16 lbs of weight is that gonna be heavy, cuz im looking on a 5zigen wheels line up

hamlet9634
04-18-2003, 12:33 PM
16lbs is where you start getting into the "pretty decent weight" category. Wheels around this weight are not considered "super light", but they aren't exactly "heavy" either. 16lbs wouldn't be very much of a performance trade-off, and this should make you a couple pounds lighter per corner than stock, which is good. This will improve acceleration, braking, turning, and overall handling balance.

As long as the 16lb wheel you get is strong, you'll be pretty happy with that weight, I think. Especially if you factor in price, as wheels very much lighter tend to cost A LOT more.

n8s si
04-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Im looking at the Motegi FF5 which look cool as hell but weigh in at 21 pounds. Looks like my search continues...

chubbychu
04-18-2003, 01:27 PM
i got this one link from someones sig list.here u go.

http://www.superhonda.com/tech/wheel_weights.html#A

NXK20
04-18-2003, 02:15 PM
WTF? there's two wheels on there that have no weight listed and mine just happens to be one of them. (rota circuit 8 16's) That sucks!

02SilverSiHB
04-18-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
are they heavy? it really depends on what you want, but the fact that you are even asking leads me to believe you are weight conscious and should really be looking for a lighter rim. :)
So true. I was weight conscious for a while, but then decided what the hell, I'll just buy what I like for daily driving and get some different rims for the drag strip and autoxing. Which I really don't autox a lot as it is.

I have no idea how much my Racing Hart CR's are going to weigh. I can't wait to get home and see them though :)

02SilverSiHB
04-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by NXK20
WTF? there's two wheels on there that have no weight listed and mine just happens to be one of them. (rota circuit 8 16's) That sucks!
you're circuit 8's weigh 16lbs I got that from here: http://www.machiii.net/machiii/html/wheels/Rota_C8.html

IceD out N CALI
04-18-2003, 02:59 PM
21lbs is heavy if you're all about performance, but if it has the look that you want, i say by all means dont worry about it that much.:)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
04-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

So true. I was weight conscious for a while, but then decided what the hell, I'll just buy what I like for daily driving and get some different rims for the drag strip and autoxing. Which I really don't autox a lot as it is.

I have no idea how much my Racing Hart CR's are going to weigh. I can't wait to get home and see them though :)

you took my advice i see... :D