PDA

View Full Version : Front Rattles With H&r Springs....

maestro
04-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Anybody else have this problem with those springs?????

02SilverSiHB
04-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by maestro
Anybody else have this problem with those springs?????
I know a view have had problems with those springs. Hondaman did and got rid of them.
I really think it has to do with the fact they are made for any 01+ Civic, so the springs rate isn't enough and the springs are too loose in there, I don't, could be wrong.

Who installed them?

ssvr6
04-20-2003, 02:35 PM
You have to make sure that the fronts are really well packed with grease.

Steve

EP33
04-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I have an issue with the driver side front of my car, however, I can't say that it's because of the H&R springs. On certain medium sized bumps/dips it makes a slight knocking sound. Nothing terrible though.

ecsahs3
04-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Listen to ssvr6. Also, have a buddy turn the wheel while your inspecting the spring. Check if the spring remains stationary or does it turn with the strut. The spring is most likely remaining stationary while your turning.

I just did my Tein spring install and wanted to say thanks to Mugen_EP for the advice when I was in a jam. Also, thanks for calling EP_Nezay.
Charles

HondaMan
04-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Supposedly H&R has springs out now made for the EP, but I'm not sure. My Progress springs work just fine...I think people are having the best luck/performance with Progress or Tein springs...at least those are the 2 I would recommend.

dchu
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
I have them and no problems here. I have to agree that they are a little softer then what I want, but I'm probably expecting too much from a "sport" spring and the fact that I'm on stock shocks.

H&R also seems to be pulling some shady shit with the spring applications though. Seems as though they use the same spring for RSX, non-Si Civics, and our Si. Even though their website lists different part numbers for these cars, the springs all have the same numbers painted on them. Me and another member here received our boxes with 3 layers of part number stickers. There was an RSX sticker on the bottom layer, then 01+ Civics, and finally 02 Civic Si on top. Kinda irks me that H&R might be selling the same spring for 3 different cars, when they claim on their website that "each spring is designed with the correct spring rate and ride height for each specific application." Then again I could be wrong...

todaCspec
04-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by dchu
I have them and no problems here. I have to agree that they are a little softer then what I want, but I'm probably expecting too much from a "sport" spring and the fact that I'm on stock shocks.

H&R also seems to be pulling some shady shit with the spring applications though. Seems as though they use the same spring for RSX, non-Si Civics, and our Si. Even though their website lists different part numbers for these cars, the springs all have the same numbers painted on them. Me and another member here received our boxes with 3 layers of part number stickers. There was an RSX sticker on the bottom layer, then 01+ Civics, and finally 02 Civic Si on top. Kinda irks me that H&R might be selling the same spring for 3 different cars, when they claim on their website that "each spring is designed with the correct spring rate and ride height for each specific application." Then again I could be wrong...

Seems kinda shady!
Why would the box have three different sticker for three different applications, but have the same part # number painted on the spring? and have different part #'s on their website?

It says 1.3/1.3 drop for the 02+Si, but it looks alot lower then what is stated.

Then they have a dumb a$s salesgirl answering the phones when she does not know anything about their products? She is also the tech person.

SiR_d1
04-21-2003, 08:13 PM
serious!!

now im thinking twice about the H&R, so i guess i'll have to settle for the pro kits

02SilverSiHB
04-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec

Seems kinda shady!
Why would the box have three different sticker for three different applications, but have the same part # number painted on the spring? and have different part #'s on their website?

It says 1.3/1.3 drop for the 02+Si, but it looks alot lower then what is stated.

Then they have a dumb a$s salesgirl answering the phones when she does not know anything about their products? She is also the tech person.
yeah, it seems like all the springs lower our car more than the manufacture says.

FACTION95Si
04-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
You have to make sure that the fronts are really well packed with grease.

Steve

Where exactly do you pack the grease? I'm experiencing similar problems with my ground controls. Also when you turn the wheel and the spring moves with the strut, thats what you want it to do?

dchu
04-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Make sure the imprinted arrow on the top of the upper spring mount is pointed to the outside of the wheel well. The arrow should also be centered between the two strut to hub mounting points. If you don't do that, the upper bearing will bind and make creaking/popping noises no matter how much grease you pack in there. I made this mistake the first time around because I was lazy and installed the spring into to the imprint the stock spring left on the rubber mount. When I reinstalled the strut, everything was out of spec, causing the springs to creak when turning.

You pack grease into the upper bearing. When you take the strut apart, you'll notice a green ring of grease in one of the parts in the upper mount. Pop the "original donut" shaped plastice bearing out and you'll see where to pack the grease.

HondaMan
04-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by dchu
Make sure the imprinted arrow on the top of the upper spring mount is pointed to the outside of the wheel well. The arrow should also be centered between the two strut to hub mounting points. If you don't do that, the upper bearing will bind and make creaking/popping noises no matter how much grease you pack in there. I made this mistake the first time around because I was lazy and installed the spring into to the imprint the stock spring left on the rubber mount. When I reinstalled the strut, everything was out of spec, causing the springs to creak when turning.

You pack grease into the upper bearing. When you take the strut apart, you'll notice a green ring of grease in one of the parts in the upper mount. Pop the "original donut" shaped plastice bearing out and you'll see where to pack the grease.

Well said!

FACTION95Si
04-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Ok I don't remember seeing an imprinted arrow but I thought the very upper mounting piece will only bolt into the chassis one way? Is the imprinted arrow the blue mark on the upper shock mount piece in this picture? I reinstalled the shock assembly with the blue marks facing out.
http://www.faction95.com/si/gc/gc1.jpg

I remember seeing the grease on the "bearing" and upper mount. Here is a piture of the 2 peices together. Where should I grease it? On the inside and on the top and bottom where the spring pearch and top mount piece touch it? Would regular lithium grease work?
http://www.faction95.com/si/gc/gc5.jpg

If I jack my car up and turn the steering wheel from side to side, should the spring stay stationary and move with the strut?

dchu
04-24-2003, 11:49 PM
Now that I think about it, it doesn't look like you reuse the upper spring mount. The stock spring mount has the arrows, I take it you use the gc spring cap as the new upper mount? I'm not too familiar with coil-overs. Look at the ring of green grease, you can pull the donut shaped bearing off from there. I repacked it with heavy duty grease, but you can probably get away with lithium grease. The green stuff is pretty thin stuff already.

FACTION95Si
04-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Here is the left front GC/strut assembly.
http://www.faction95.com/si/strutshock.jpg I grease it on both sides of the bearing and upper spring pearch.