PDA

View Full Version : computer or chip

9092002SI
08-05-2002, 11:31 PM
hey does anyone know where we could get a chip or a computer for out hatches? cause i think that they are really really restricted. or how about the rsx type s computer, would that help our cars out?

thanks russ

2k2civicSi
08-06-2002, 12:07 AM
a chip for the base rsx might work but i dont know hopefuly jet will put on out for the ep soon

My98nsx
08-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Hey Russ,
Your car silver? I've seen on up and down Grand over by the Country lately. Did you get yours at DB Honda? I'm in Chino Hills.

DJS

BlazeX12
08-06-2002, 08:42 PM
I could be wrong, but i dont think the rsx type S computer would work since in has vtec on both the intake and exhaust side, we only have it on the intake side, if im worng someone correct me, im only repeating what i have heard, no hard evidence on it.

9092002SI
08-06-2002, 09:04 PM
yes i live in db you got one too? naw i didn't get it at diamond bar honda. dang i was the first one to have one in the surronding citys, it's all good. anyways what you got on your car? do you wanna run?

nikkotyper
08-10-2002, 10:53 AM
They said they were developing software for RSX (although probably RSX Type S). I would asume they would make it for 2k2 SI, maybe.

Anyways, according to them there will be an article in the SCC about RSX ECU tuning. Some time soon, off course...

Hondatech
08-14-2002, 06:32 PM
Here's the LONG thread off ClubRSX about the Hondata tuning for the Type S:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=36048&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

They're claiming close to 20 whp with just messing around with ignition and VTC cam timing. Sweet!

If/when they've got one for the Si/SiR, I'd be happy with 10-13 whp gain from a tuned ECU. If MiamiJDM made 157 whp with intake,header, and custom I-pipe, then that with one of those Hondata ECu tunes would make around/over 170 whp, matching stock RSX Type S power output. And I'd be happy spending under $1500 to match the power of a car that costs about $7000 more.

All prices in Canadian dollars :D

nikkotyper
08-14-2002, 06:44 PM
I certainly hope they come up with an SI chip.
I bet that for $300, most of the ephatch.com members would buy it.

SpeedRacer
08-14-2002, 06:49 PM
hell yes they would

nikkotyper
08-14-2002, 06:59 PM
If one looks at a dyno of a stock 02 SI, one can notice very little power loss from 6500 rpm to 7000 rpm, about 5-6 hp. A higher rev limiter would take advantage of this untapped power (providing that it is safe to rev past 7100, which I think the rev limit is).

Any other thoughts on this?

Hondatech
08-14-2002, 07:00 PM
Get in line kids, I'm first up for this one :)

Yeah, a rev limit just a few hundred RPm higher (Like 7600) would make it feel quite a bit better, as long as it still makes power up there.

MPgrunt81
08-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Has anyone heard anything or is it all rumors and speculation?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
08-14-2002, 10:08 PM
so with a aftermarket chip, this will increase the HP of the EP and make the car rev past 7k? sweet. hope they come out with one, ill get it in a flash.

nikkotyper
08-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by MPgrunt81
Has anyone heard anything or is it all rumors and speculation?

Hondata IS developing a chip for base RSX. There are SPECULATIONS that they would develop one for the SI as well. Nobody from hondata wanted to comment exactly on anything. The chips for TypeS and base RSX are still in R&D. Their sales people hinted they would make one for the SI.

Maybe one of us should call (or email) HONDATA and find out "for sure".

nikkotyper
08-15-2002, 03:57 PM
I emailed them and I will post the response (hopefully positive)

David K.
08-15-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Hondatech
Here's the LONG thread off ClubRSX about the Hondata tuning for the Type S:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=36048&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

They're claiming close to 20 whp with just messing around with ignition and VTC cam timing. Sweet!

I spoke to Hondata over the phone yesterday and they told me that they have not made any claims of 20 whp with their tuning. The guy asked where I heard that info b/c they are getting several calls a day with people saying this same thing. Apparently this is some rumor floating around that has picked up quite a lot of steam.

Acc. to the Hondata guy our ECU is VERY hard to modify due not only to the continually varying timing (i-VTEC) but also the 3-D fuel maps. All of this told to me by an actual Hondata rep. They said maybe something by the end of the year would be available.

MPgrunt81
08-16-2002, 06:47 AM
Here is what hondata says on their website:

Recently Hondata has been the subject of internet posts on various Honda forums, and we are fielding many phone calls asking us when we will be finished. This is to clarify Hondata's position with RSX development.

Hondata has done some preliminary work investigating the RSX ECU, but at the moment we do not know what form any future product will take, what parameters in the ECU may be adjusted, how the ECU will be tuned, when the release date is or what power increase is possible. Currently fuel tables, ignition tables, VTEC points, rev limits and cam timing can be changed (by Hondata only at this point). Our initial work looks promising in that there are gains to be made in even a stock RSX setup, with further gains when coupled with the most common bolt on parts.

We have learnt that the RSX ECU is a lot more complicated than previous generation ECUs. For instance, the fuel and ignition tables are 4 dimensional rather than 3 dimensional as the OBDI and OBDII ECUs are. Also the intake cam timing is manipulated throughout the rev range, and a lot of effort goes into ensuring the engine runs reliably with high compression under all driving conditions. This seems to indicate that it will be very difficult to reliably run the K20 engine to it's full potential with anything other than the Honda ECU.

We do not yet know if the RSX development will transfer to other variants using the K series engine, or the S2000 engine.