PDA

View Full Version : please let me know what you think.. overhead console

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
I posted a subject on here about an overhead console for my 12 disk CD changer. No one was able to help me so I went ahead and made one out of a third brake light assy from a Crown Vic. I had to cut some out of the middle, epoxy the pieces back together, prime, sand, prime, sand and kep doing it until I got a good finish. The final stage was wet sanding it smooth.

I made a wooden template of the unit, and used it as my guide. It is help up with 4 bolts, and a metal plate slipped in through the hole from the dome light.

I hope you guys dig it since it looks like it is factory.

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 04:21 PM
here are more pics

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 04:22 PM
here is one more

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 04:22 PM
here is the last pic

ShowstoppersUSA
04-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Cool beans dood! How'd you do that? And what does it control? Stereo? What about that mirror you got there, what's that called? Did you remove the old console? Sorry for all the questions :confused: . Looks cool!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

ThickMick
04-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Pretty ingenious,

I like that funky mirror too...:)

BSEVEER
04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Looks like you did a great job! Looks like it could be factory. What the hell kind of mirror is that and why is it shaped that way?

NamingException
04-21-2003, 04:51 PM
That's pretty damn clever.

BarracksSi
04-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Wow, nice job. I knew Fords had to be good for something.

Be aware -- you have now been tagged as a Guy Who Knows How To Install Shit (GWKHTIS). ;)

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 06:07 PM
The mirror is a Folia Tec mirror. I got it from DriverFX.com something like 90 bones. It is also a wide angle view mirror, so I can see from about the bottom of the rear seat back, and out of the rear passenger window.

The controller is for a JVC 12 disc CD changer. it is also FM modulated, i ran the cabling for it between the headliner and the windshield, and down the "A" pilar (which took about 30 min just to get the damn cable between the "A" pilar and the dash. This car is build pretty tight I would have to say...

Anyways, I got the changer from my bank for 5 bones. (for every dollar you spend you get a point) I had over 25000 points and I had my choice of all kinds of stuff. (it took me like 3.5 years to get there)

So I still have my stock radio, with my pioneer Amp and my Rockford Fosgate 8"'ers All I did was add the 12 disc changer.

It took me 2 hours everyday for 2 weeks (I stayed late at work) and I got it all done. The guys at work were teasing me since it took so long to do. but I would do it again, and I am glad that I prepped it right. They also said I should have taken pics of it before and after. (I wish I did too!)

My whole thing was that I didn't wanna advertise that I have a 12 disc cd changer for someone to break into my precious. And I got it now.

SmoothOperator
04-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Wow that's a really impressive set up man. VERY original. Only question is...Where did you mount the CD Changer itself?! In the hatch? Under a seat? In the glove box??

ta2dSi
04-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah and put the cd changer in the hatch. and it has only skipped once for my so far so I am thinkin it is a good place.

I also put some brownbread/dynamat type stuff on the hatch and floor where the spare is, VERY BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! wow!!! you can totally tell now too. if you tap on the body just after the rear window, and then on the hatch, there is no twang from the metal. My and my friends are going to go in together and get a ton of Brownbread, and do our cars.

RiceCzechs
04-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Thumbs up for a VERY original install... I've given thought to an overhead console, but more for something like sunglasses storage and interior/exterior temp readout. I figured it'd likely have to be pirated out of another Honda product, but with the map lights and switchgear up front, it doesn't really seem plausible. That said, guys on the Ranger site I used to frequent cribbed them out of Explorers with frightening regularity (having the same dash helped with temp sensors)....

Nice work!!!!!!! :eek:

VegasEP
04-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Great job, wish I had the skill to do some work like that. Looks Good!

Chris

fyzm7357
04-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Very, very nice install.....wish I had skills like those......

ta2dSi
04-22-2003, 09:51 AM
I would be willing to make one for ya as a trade for parts/accessories or something... All I would need it the dimensions of the insert.

I would be glad to hook someone up!!!! (so that I am not the only SI out there with a overhead console.

Jason

2k2SiGuy
04-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Hot Shit!!!!! I see U also have the same Digi Cam I do....Fuji Finepix3800???

ta2dSi
04-22-2003, 10:00 AM
I do have the same camera as you do... but I think I got dibs on tattoos though! HA HA HA HA

hamproof
04-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Looks great. And another fellow Detroiter as well.

Here's a next project for you if you wanna do something else. What about a headlight washer?

I thought about doing this but I'm not sure if the streams will be strong enough from the factory pump to split the front 2 into 4. For simplicity sake, I'm thinking just mount 2 heads on the bumper or around the bumper area, rather than making them popups like in the Audis. So, it'll be more like the Volvos headlight washer. Doable??

SiNi$t3R
04-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by VegasEP
Great job, wish I had the skill to do some work like that. Looks Good!

ditto!!

Chris

Mugen_EP
04-22-2003, 10:11 AM
That looks f*ckin bad ass!!! Would be a good place to mount a boost controller.;)

ta2dSi
04-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I think it is doable. I think I would use a totally seperate resevoir for the headlight washer fluid and also a seperate pump. Just so that if the headlights are dirty, and your windshield isn't you could just klean your headlights.

If someone has the washer nozzles and the wipers, I think I could do something. (either that or if someone could find out where to get them)

Jason

BlasTech
04-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Very resourceful and great craftsmanship!

You've found your calling!

ta2dSi
04-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Anyone know what I could hook up to an old CDROM drive gutted out (I am only using the motor and moving the EJECT button somewhere on the dash).

So I would have something that I could be automatically retractable and extendable. NO NOS! I was thinking using it to eject the cup holder on the left side of the wheel, but I would like something coming out of the center floor console since there is enough room to put all that crap.

Please send ideas!!!!

BlasTech
04-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Retracting cell-phone mount! Its only there when you need it!

LordKoo
04-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Dude! That is darn nice! A good suggestion to Honda to offer something like that!

SmoothOperator
04-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Holy brainstorming batman!! I really like the idea of putting a boost controller up there.....mmmmmmm turbo.

2_ASU
05-15-2003, 10:24 PM
how do you remove the rear view mirror?

StrangeShadow
05-26-2003, 11:58 PM
So I would have something that I could be automatically retractable and extendable. NO NOS! I was thinking using it to eject the cup holder on the left side of the wheel, but I would like something coming out of the center floor console since there is enough room to put all that crap.
woo if you can get the cup holder to do that, I would buy one from you :thumbsup:
maybe a center piece (retractable) that could hold multiple things, wallet, extra keys, phone, handgun j/k ...just the idea of it being electronically retractible is pretty cool.

AznPower
05-27-2003, 12:07 AM
wow, thats a clean job. good job.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
05-28-2003, 09:13 AM
What year Crown Victoria did the 3rd brakelight assembly come from?

That would be a kick ass location for a speaker for high's and center channel.....

Makross
05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
looks nice

ta2dSi
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
I think it was from a 2001-2003. If you plan on doing something. let me know and I can give ya some tips and stuff.

I was also thinking about putting in an ultrasonic alarm in the overhead console, so I could leave my windows down, and if someone put their arm in the car, the alarm would trip off... Higher end cars are going this way, and they use them a lot in Europe.