PDA

View Full Version : ticket finally resolved

chakra71
04-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Well my friends, it's finally finished. Some of the others on here might remember that i got a reckless driving ticket last september, about 3 weeks after getting my car.

The cop said that i went squeeling off from a stop light in my heavily modified silver civic that had been lowered and had a huge exhaust in the back... I let the judge in my first trial know that I had a black civic hatchback that was completely stock and was anything but lowered, and that i did no such thing. The judge found me guilty of reckless driving and fined me the maximum fine ($500) plus court costs.

I appealed and finally had my 2nd day in court today. I spoke with the prosecutor (who thankfully was very good friends with my step-mother) and he said that it was my word against the cop's word and my driving history doesn't speak very well for my word. He said that the only hope i had was to plea down to a lesser offense and hope the judge had pitty on me. So that is what I did.

I plead down to a charge of simple speeding and the judge accepted it. He gave me a fine of $100 plus court costs (going to suck, cost for original trail and the appeal trial). All in all it's much better than the original offense (1 point on record vs 6 and when combined with my record the state would have pulled my liscence).

All this for something i didn't even do THAT time. I'm sure i deserve it for some of the crazy stuff I have done in the past. Karma is a bitch.

Thanks for the support, and to others out there... GET A LAWYER. The system is rigged against you. Get someone that knows how to use it.

glw
04-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by chakra71
...I plead down to a charge of simple speeding and the judge accepted it. He gave me a fine of $100 plus court costs (going to suck, cost for original trail and the appeal trial). All in all it's much better than the original offense (1 point on record vs 6 and when combined with my record the state would have pulled my liscence)....

Sorry to hear about your ticket but it's hard to believe that you lost given that the ticket was written for a different color car. I would think all you had to do was prove that you didn't have a silver car (DMV database check?) and that he must have seen someone else speeding and then pinned it on you. Maybe a lawyer could've helped. Either way speeding is better than wreckless...