PDA

View Full Version : Do our cars have a stock x-over in front?

icegrill
04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to do my component install without cutting any wires. Just wondering how the stock components are set up? Should I be able to just use the adapters to plug the new mid woofers where the stock one's are and the new tweeters where the factorys are? If someone could give me some quick insight I'd really appreciate it? Thanks

jaydub
04-21-2003, 10:31 PM
I would assume the stock head unit has some sort of crossover for the tweeters and that the mids/rear speakers are just full-range. If you were to just replace speakers with similar upgraded speakers, you should have no trouble, however most component sets are made to work specifically with whichever xover gets sent, so the stock setup might not be optimum for the speakers you buy.

oogy-boogy
04-22-2003, 09:14 AM
The stock passive crossover is actually built into the stock tweeter. If you look on te backside of the tweeter you'll see it. It's a cost saving trick that a ton of automotive mfg's use. Just use your aftermarket one as Jaydub recommended. It's designed to work with the speakers that you purchased.

Good luck!