PDA

View Full Version : Temperature measurements for ebay SRI...

Wht-Si
04-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Hi all, I have been visiting this site quite often for a while and I finally got chance to registered yesterday. Anyway I'm glad that I found this site and let keep this site going strong.

I have recently purchased ebay's cheap SRI and took some temperature measurements with radioshack's dual IN/OUT digital temperature gauge. The outside temp sensor has long wire that allowed you to place just about any where inside of your engine.

Here are some interesting intake air measurements using temperature sensor just before the TB. The sensor was placed inside of the rubber hose right between the TB and intake pipe.

The results are as follows:

Idle(after 30min driving): 115F ~120F
City driving: 105F ~110F
Freeway: 88 ~ 93F

I just wanted to share this info with you all. Even though it's from ebay I noticed some gain above 4000rpm. I think it's much better than the stock.

I also tried Hondata's air box mod with K&N replacement filter but there wasn't any noticeble gain with this mod. I think it's a waste of your money and time. Unless you like the stock look on your car.

It would be nice to find out some intake air temperature results from the CAI owners.

Thanks guys

JSIR
04-22-2003, 05:14 PM
thanks for the info, that is very interesting to know. What was the ambient exterior temperature that day when you were testing, just wondering how much higher than ambient the intake was sucking. Those intake temps are creeping up at that level though, it would be nice to get them lowered a bit. The ecu gets very conservative around 115 degrees intake temps from what I've read.

Wht-Si
04-23-2003, 10:19 AM
I believe the ambient temp was around 75 or 80 at that time. I was just wondering if Hondata's heat shield gasket really works or not.

I have been debating whether if I should get it or not bother with it. If it doesn't make any noticeble difference, I won't bother with it for the trouble installing it.

Does anyone have tried it and actually measure the temp of the intake air.

Thanks

Tenacious G
04-23-2003, 10:31 AM
a buddy of mine has the heatshield gasket on his RSX-S, and he said it works wonders. intake manifold is actually cool enough you can place your hand on it without burning yourself after the engine is warmed up.

i think it's a worthwhile mod, and i'll be ordering and installing one within the next month or two

BlasTech
04-23-2003, 11:15 AM
The theory behind the gasket creates a question:

If it keeps the heat from seeping out to the rubber tube, and hence the intake temp sensor, then it would mean the the area after the gasket gets hotter?

Is this the same effect as adding a resistor to trick the sensor, so the air in the chambers could be the same temp anyway, and the difference is that there is less timing retard, or is the air really going to be cooler/denser at the time of compression... what I mean is it doesnt really supply a cooler source of air, it just protects the air temp sensor from the internal temperature....

confused? heres the simple question, does the positive effects of the heatshiled come from cooler air, or from a cooler air temp sensor, or from a little of both?

Discuss....

Tenacious G
04-23-2003, 12:15 PM
BlasTech,

i was under the impression that the manifold was mainly being heated by the head, therefore creating hotter, less dense air. the heatshield was act as a buffer to the temperature exchange from the head to the manifold, resulting in cooler, denser air going into the cylinders.

so, my guess would be you're not really tricking the intake temp. sensor that there is cooler air because there actually is cooler air going in. so perhaps the answer to your question is it is both. there is cooler air going in, and the intake temp. sensor is picking up on the cooler air.

of course, i could be wrong, it's happened before.

Wht-Si
04-23-2003, 01:07 PM
I'm in process of wrap my intake with exhaust heat sheild warp. I just wanted to see how much of intake air can be dropped using this material.

I noticed that radiator hose is touching right up against the intake pipe and also the ambient temperature of the under the hood also contribute heat rise on the intake pipe too.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

Thanks

JSIR
04-23-2003, 06:18 PM
the Hondata gasket does keep the manifold a fair bit cooler than the rest of the engine, it does work. The manifold gets up to about 90 degrees for the most part from what I have measured so far. The valve cover and head are around 140 degrees, thus a good bit hotter. The intake manifold can be touched without burning your self.

There are some circumstances where the intake manifold can still get very hot. The intake manifold will heat up to almost regular hot levels if you leave the car idling for a few minutes. It also heats up after you turn the car off and it soaks heat from the engine bay without any air flow around it. But for the most part the intake manifold runs cooler when the car is moving around. My car seems to run better since the gasket install. I think the air metering is a bit better and more accurate with the gasket installed. The intake temps are measured by the ecu at the rubber intake tube, but the intake air temp can rise once it hits the intake manifold due to the excess heat. Thus the actual air temps can be higher than what the ecu reads. With the Hondata gasket the temperature differential of the air at the temp sensor (rubber intake tube) and the intake manifold is not as large, thus you get more accurate metering of the intake air.