PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

ravenings
04-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Hello all,

Is anyone experience extraordinary oil consumption by the 2002 Civic Si engine? When I first purchased the car in September, 2002, the engine was eating or burning engine oil, and I took it in to the dealership and they topped it off and suggested that I do a "oil consumption test" but then I've relocated to a different city and I haven't yet followed up with a local dealership for this oil consumption test. I currently have 17,080 miles on the odometer, and my engine is still burning oil. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me? I'd thought that after 17,000 miles, my engine would not be burning oil like it used to when it was 10 miles.
Thanks all! Any hints would be appreciated.

in His love,
HS

EP33
04-22-2003, 11:51 PM
I believe there is a topic somewhere else on the site discussing this.

I found out last week that Honda (SoCal area) is aware that SOME Ka20a3 engines are burning oil at a rapid rate. The 10K mile interval for the oil change has (gulp) killed some engines because some didn't check their oil regularly leading up to that 10k mile point. :(

HokieSi
04-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Change your oil ever 3k if you are using non synthetic. Else, you can let it go about 4-5k.

Tenacious G
04-23-2003, 07:19 AM
i only just cracked 3000 miles, but not a hint of any oil consumption. but i will be keeping an eye on it.

btw, my dealer told me the first oil change should occur at 7,500 miles, then every 3,000 after that.

hamproof
04-23-2003, 07:20 AM
If the oil is low, isn't there an idiot light that will light up?

Or is that light for when oil pressure is too low?

BarracksSi
04-23-2003, 02:53 PM
The light would go on if the oil pressure drops. I imagine that if there was no oil, then there would be no oil pressure. But, the intent is to show that the engine is suddenly getting no oil flow, and you should stop driving immediately.

On a related note, I've heard of a guy whose coolant pump quietly failed, and when he took it to a service station, the entire engine block was glowing orange. Not surprisingly, it practically welded itself together.

glw
04-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ravenings
Hello all,

Is anyone experience extraordinary oil consumption by the 2002 Civic Si engine? When I first purchased the car in September, 2002, the engine was eating or burning engine oil, and I took it in to the dealership and they topped it off and suggested that I do a "oil consumption test" but then I've relocated to a different city and I haven't yet followed up with a local dealership for this oil consumption test. I currently have 17,080 miles on the odometer, and my engine is still burning oil. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is it just me? I'd thought that after 17,000 miles, my engine would not be burning oil like it used to when it was 10 miles.
Thanks all! Any hints would be appreciated.

in His love,
HS
my ep used 4 quarts in the first 5k miles. I went in to the dealer for oil consumption check and it only used 16oz (1/2 qt) in the following 1K miles. sinistercivicsi failed her oil consumption test and got a whole new bottom end from her dealer. you should probably follow up with your local dealer...