PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Made Cat-Back!!!

DrPimpSiR
08-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Here are pics of a prototype stainless, mandrel bent cat-back, installed on my car!
This system is entirely made in Ontario, Canada by MBRP Performance Exhaust.
There are two styles: 4.5" tip and a twin muffler style. Both are mated to 2.25" piping and should be for sale by the end of the month.
They both sound awesome!
Contact them directly if interested.
Eric Schurer
Sales & Marketing , MBRP Inc.
Toll Free 1-888-636-7223
www.mbrp.com

Dual Tip:

DrPimpSiR
08-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Single tip.

SpeedRacer
08-07-2002, 10:56 AM
not bad

stingyboy
08-07-2002, 11:44 AM
nice. how much?

and do you feel an increase in power?

fishboy
08-07-2002, 11:53 AM
i like the dual tip. i hope dc makes their twin canister exhaust a twin tip.

DownTheHatch
08-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Dude those look really good, I'd like to hear one in person.

DrPimpSiR
08-07-2002, 01:44 PM
What I had on my car was just a prototype. Martin, the owner of MBRP is taking them, adjusting noise levels etc and coming out with a finished production piece. What I am getting will be the first off the assembly line. With the prototype, I did notice better throttle response though.
I was quite impressed with his factory, and product. Every piece on the system is made in his factory, and the muffler is stainless THROUGHOUT! Not just the casing.
You can get the complete system, or parts of it.
The exact price was to be decided but I was told it will be in the US$500 range.

2k2civicSi
08-07-2002, 02:07 PM
i love the single tip it looks awesome but the dual looks like its mounted to close to the bumper

JSIR
08-07-2002, 06:54 PM
so how did it drive overall ?, bottom end , top end, part throttle acceleration ?. I agree with you about throttle response going up after an exhaust upgrade, but some areas of the power band do seem to change. What did you notice ?. Now you need a good header to compliment that exhaust.

HondaMan
08-07-2002, 07:35 PM
They look sweet! I like the dual tip better, but the sound is what I want to hear since I'll be listening to it far more than looking at it. :)

That reminds I got to go record the K&N Typhoon on my ride. :D

DrPimpSiR
08-08-2002, 07:06 AM
I didn't notice any drop in performance at all, but we only had the exhaust on for a limited time. Like I said, that was the prototype. It wasn't mandrel bent, yet. I'll let you know how it sounds in three weeks, after I go to get mine installed. It was kinda loud with the prototype mid-pipe, but Martin said that will be reduced with his resonator for the actual product.
When I go there is going to be a couple of different set-ups with resonators, and the best sounding will make it into production.
I agree with you JSIR I will need a good header after, but that will have to wait, (I promised my wife I wouldn't spend any more on the car for a while-Oh shit, I can hear the whip cracking now...got to go!!!)
Here's another pic of the duals. It may just be the photo, but it didn't look too close to the bumper in person.

SmoothOperator
08-10-2002, 07:11 PM
I'm totally getting that single tipped exhaust. That one's got my name all over it!

HondaMan
08-10-2002, 07:48 PM
DrPimpSiR,
What's the chance of us getting a group buy on these Cat-back exhaust systems? The single tip one is growing on me!

DrPimpSiR
08-11-2002, 07:37 AM
I'll see what I can do.

Idonthaveahatch
08-12-2002, 12:54 PM
Cool pics, unfotunately 2.25 is too samll of a diameter.

SmoothOperator
08-12-2002, 01:03 PM
2.25 is perfect!!! I've heard you don't want to go any wider than that! Actually...I saw a video on VTEC.net where they studied the undercarriage of the car. They said something along the lines of "you wouldn't want to go any wider than 2.25" is diameter for the mid-pipe". Of course it depends on your application. What do you plan on doing with your engine Idonthaveahatch???

Idonthaveahatch
08-12-2002, 01:07 PM
I dont have an ephatch but anyways i think the thermal is 2.5, more high end HP with bigger opening, might sacrifice a little low end torque, but who cares, if you wanted torque you wouldnt have bought a honda...

David K.
08-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Idonthaveahatch
I dont have an ephatch but anyways i think the thermal is 2.5, more high end HP with bigger opening, might sacrifice a little low end torque, but who cares, if you wanted torque you wouldnt have bought a honda...

Actually the Thermal is 2.25". Comptech's is supposed to be 2.5" when it comes out. I spoke to a Thermal rep and he said they found 2.25" to be a good compromise btwn. useable power, noise, and still having enough flow to "grow" with you're vehicles increasing power after mods. are performed.

I just had a custom mid-pipe built for my car by a local exhaust shop today. I went 2.25". It's crush bent, but it only cost me $75.00 installed, and for that price I figured what the hell. If I decide to upgrade my exhaust further I'm not out too much money. Currently I have my eye on a JIC exhaust. Don't know if they have our application yet, but they make a full titanium kit, pipe, muffler and all. Super trick, real light, and about $1100.00.