PDA

View Full Version : CTR wing fitment question

dustinhurley
04-24-2003, 01:46 AM
I've had my replica wing for a couple months now, but I have yet to install it. I've decided to do the mods to make it fit myself. However, I have a few dumb questions. I guess I'm going to use a Dremel tool to do all the shaving and some bondo to fill in the holes. I've never used bondo at all. Again, excuse my ignorance.

- Since the wing is hollow, once I grind off the pieces there will be big empty grooves there, correct? So, wouldn't the bondo just fall into the hole rather than cover it up?

- What kind of Dremel bit will work the best?

- What kind of bondo do I need, and how much?

- Once I have everything shaved and covered with bondo, what should I use to sand and smooth everything out? Will hand sandpaper work?

I need all the help I can get, so feel free to comment.

dustinhurley
04-25-2003, 02:01 PM
bump

DownTheHatch
04-25-2003, 07:49 PM
First of all, that tiny dremel tool is going to make the process take several hours. I suggest getting a real grinder, borrowing one, or something like that. It's basically a big L-shaped drill with a big disc on it.

Second, Bondo is real easy to use, just read the label. As for the big hollow hole, all I did was stuff it with papertowels/newspaper to create a base for the bondo.

Make sure you're completely satisfied with the fitment before you wrap things up. Oh, and take your time.

dustinhurley
04-25-2003, 09:55 PM
I worked on it tonight. Bondo stuff was easy to use. Using the Dremel did take forever, but I was able to get a perfect fit. Hopefully it all works out and I can get it painted next week.

BarracksSi
04-26-2003, 12:09 AM
Good to hear! Feel free to post a pic when you're done, if you can.

ep88
04-26-2003, 12:46 AM
hope everything works out great! it took me the whole afternoon doin' mine so take ur time and make sure it fits right ;)

JSIR
05-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Can any of you guys give me lead on where to buy such a wing/spoiler ?. I really want one badly now and kinda need one in a hurry, so anyone that has them in stock would be great. I you could shoot me some info that would be awesome, much appreciated. thanks

Joey

2k3vbpEP
05-06-2003, 07:57 PM
What exactly has to be modified on the Type-r wing? I thought that just the front bumbers were cosmetically different on the body work. Is the roof on the SI different than the Type-R also?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
05-07-2003, 02:21 AM
wheres that one pic on someones CTR being shaved... can someone post that up agian?

ep88
05-07-2003, 11:27 AM
here ya go :D

SinisterCivicSi
05-23-2003, 08:01 PM
ok lemme try this again,

have you put the wing on yet? if so, can you post pics?
how much work was it? (worth doing?)

does anyone know how much a shop would charge to do the same thing, then just paint it?

JSIR
05-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
ok lemme try this again,

have you put the wing on yet? if so, can you post pics?
how much work was it? (worth doing?)

does anyone know how much a shop would charge to do the same thing, then just paint it?

I don't know if this helps sinister, but I gave it a shot trying to fit and grind my replica wing, and after about one hour of trying to grind it down I gave up and said screw it. I'm now taking to a shop to get done, to me its not worth the hassle or the mess, and you need the right tools to do it right.

I'm getting mine done at an autobody shop, its being fitted which included grinding, patching the holes, smoothing irregularities, and high quality primer applied. Then it's getting base coat and clear coat to match factory paint. Total cost up here is $325 Canadian, which is about $220 US or so.

hth.

Joey

SinisterCivicSi
05-23-2003, 08:40 PM
yeah.......that looks like what i might do if i get one.....anyone know where you can get a buddy club ctr wing to fit our eps at a decent price?