PDA

View Full Version : anybody having these susp. probs???

1abSi
04-24-2003, 06:14 AM
ok i have the progress springs and before you all ask the ?'s yes i did put plenty of grease in there, yes the isolators are in there (actually have them on every coil to try and help it), and yes the install was done correctly....on to the problem......when i am driving and hit any significant bumps i get some front end noise. and when it is a somewhat large bump it almost feels as if it bottoms out....yes the bumpstops are cut.... also when turning and hitting a small bump i get the noise.....and just turning in general (sometimes when turning the wheel when stopped) i get more noise out of the steering. i know hondaman and a few others had problems with it being from the wrong civic....i got these from showstoppers and they were specified for my car.....what should i do? i called progress and they said i could send them there and they would test them and send me new ones....but i live in freakin FL......any help would be greatly appreciated....

esmith13
04-24-2003, 06:46 AM
do you have any upper strut bars, Front or rear??

I have both with neuspeed race. Have some noise on turns and turning wheel at standstill. Took it to a performance shop and they told me I basically took all the "give" out of the suspension system and although the car handles great, the tradeoff is the noise. I was told it's perfectly OK and will not hurt the car at all, and if I want it quieter I could always remove the strut tower and upper sway bars....

Hope that helps U,

Eric

1abSi
04-24-2003, 08:19 AM
no, none of that stuff...sorry didn't help but thanks for trying

mhx
04-24-2003, 08:21 AM
cutting bump stops = bad

jaydub
04-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mhx
cutting bump stops = bad Uhh, not when that's what the instructions say to do. :rolleyes:

HondaMan
04-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
Uhh, not when that's what the instructions say to do. :rolleyes:

I don't recall if the Progress instructions say to trim/cut the bumperstops or not. I actually had an import mod shop install the Progress springs for me, so I didn't pay close attention to the details. I went the import mod shop route because of my bad experience of installing and reinstalling those H&R springs. BTW, I didn't trim/cut the bumperstops when I did the H&R springs...I was told it was not needed...that's why I wonder if it's actually needed for the Progress springs. :confused:

mhx
04-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Uhh, not when that's what the instructions say to do. :rolleyes:

your stock shocks are prob going..

1abSi
04-24-2003, 12:41 PM
hondaman- yeah the directions say to cut them...thing is i KNOW i did everything right....might just be a bad spring

MHX-this has happened since the very second the car was placed back on the ground so i doubt that is it. plus the car is only 2 months old

chakra71
04-24-2003, 12:57 PM
the instructions do say to cut the bumpstops, and yeah the stock shocks are probably going to give out... it's expected.

as far as the noise goes... mine have never made any sounds at all. minivankiller did a great job installing them i guess.

I recomend on a good saturday take them off and triple check everything, make sure it's all installed corectly and if it still makes the noise then perhaps you do have a bad spring.

jaydub
04-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by mhx

your stock shocks are prob going..

You shouldn't be lowered on stock shocks anyway, but i cut the bumpstops on my 99 coupe with ground controls, and riding this low for almost two years didn't blow my stock shocks.
http://www.dubfusion.com/temp/99civic.jpg

HondaMan
04-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Well, I say something is wrong with the spring(s) cause I (like chakra71) rarely hear any noises from my Progress springs.

mhx
04-24-2003, 02:53 PM

You shouldn't be lowered on stock shocks anyway, but i cut the bumpstops on my 99 coupe with ground controls, and riding this low for almost two years didn't blow my stock shocks.
http://www.dubfusion.com/temp/99civic.jpg

your ride was prob real bouncy!

jaydub
04-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by mhx

your ride was prob real bouncy! Wrong again, it was very close to stock.

ssvr6
04-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm getting the same noise man. It's happened ever since I had the work done.

I was there throughout the install and I had a shop do it. The bump stops were cut according to the directions and these springs are for the Si. I checked before I did anything else.

A friend told me that the same thing happened to him on his 97 GTI VR6 and over time, the noise stopped and never came back. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Steve

03hatch
04-24-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
do you have any upper strut bars, Front or rear??

I have both with neuspeed race. Have some noise on turns and turning wheel at standstill. Took it to a performance shop and they told me I basically took all the "give" out of the suspension system and although the car handles great, the tradeoff is the noise. I was told it's perfectly OK and will not hurt the car at all, and if I want it quieter I could always remove the strut tower and upper sway bars....

Hope that helps U,

Eric

i have the same problem...when i turn slowly i hear a click or something like that...sounds cool sometimes.haha

Laz's EP
04-24-2003, 04:42 PM
Ok guys dont worry. The same thing happened to me when I first installed my springs. It was making a noise in the front,I thought that I had left something loose.I checked it out and everything was tight. I talked to a friend of mine that works at a local Hondas dealer and he told that the top of the strut (the metal piece that goes over the spring) has an arrow on both sides.that arrow should be facing tawards the outside of the car.I quickly
check it out and aligned the arrow to face outwards and to my surprise it worked,no more noise.I hope this helps.
;)

Laz's EP
04-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Sorry about the spelling ( I'm @ work) What I meant about the being in both sides is each side of the car.
:o

1abSi
04-25-2003, 01:26 PM
as far as i know that can all only go in ONE way.....the white marks have to line up....plus the three bolts only come up thru one way..... so there is no reason it would be any different.....but everyone go look at their assembly from under the hood.....in the whole where the strut comes up....where is that little silver sticker???? on the fire wall side????