PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Insurance question

BlasTech
04-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Im switching to GIECO to get a (way) better deal on my insurance, and, on the application, there is a part that says "Have you modified or restored this vehichle? If so describe:". I put "no", afraid that they'd decide to jack the cost up and categorize me as a street racer.

So GIECO wants me to go to PepBoys to get my car checked out for my new policy (they dont have local offices). And I guess I'm going to put the stockies back on for that... but I wonder how it works if I damage the Konigs? I guess they're not covered, since I cant prove I bought them afterwords... but then again, theyre not anywhere near the deductible anyway unless I ruined 2 at once...

Anyone have experience with this?

RiceCzechs
04-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Geico is notorious for dropping coverage/dramatically jacking up rates on drivers when they get moving violations/accidents. I would imagine that with this sort of setup, you'd be out of luck as far as your aftermarket equipment went... me? I'd rather pay a little extra to ensure that all my toys are covered...

LordKoo
04-24-2003, 12:22 PM
Screw Geico! Don't go with them! And also progressive!

ssvr6
04-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Screw Geico! Don't go with them! And also progressive!

I'm using Progressive, way better than Gayco if you ask me.

Steve

BlasTech
04-24-2003, 12:44 PM
well, no matter what insurance I go with, I wont go with one that would only be better if I got a ticket... I dont plan on ever getting a ticket.

As it is, even with Gieco for only a few months, I'd save hella money over Allstate, and get way more coverage potential.

hamproof
04-24-2003, 12:53 PM
There's no concrete answers and everyone has his or her own theory on what is the best out there.

Insurance also varies from the city you live in, your age (obviously), car, credit score (some insurance), coverage (deductibles as well), multi-policy, group discounts etc.

Fortunately you weren't asking how much one is paying for insurance for the EP. You'll get responses like, "I get full coverage for $50/month from so and so insurance". Full coverage means very different state to state and also don't forget the deductible.

Anyway, from my years of changing insurance companies, I found the best method for me.

Go to an independent insurance broker. Ask him/her to shop for the best rate for you. Usually, they have some group discount available and I've found that the rate my agent qoute for me is less than what I could get myself by calling say AllState directly or AAA.

Give it a try. Saves a lot of headache.

BlasTech
04-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Now that sounds pretty good. I'm gonna start shopping for house insureance too, as its such a racket here in TX.

I remember calling Allstate with Gieco's quote for 6X the amount of coverage for $300 less and asking them where all the money is going with thier policy... they were like "uhhh, well, uhhhh". I said, "hmm, ok....CLICK!"

AznPower
04-24-2003, 01:39 PM
good call hamproof, thats what i did and they hooked it up