PDA

View Full Version : Alpines=perfect sound and fit. Polk = sh!t

icegrill
04-24-2003, 05:05 PM
I ordered a whole polk system from crotchfield with 6.5" components and coaxs. I tried to install the rears first, they were nowhere close to fitting. So I called the "techline" where I got the genius advice to just file em' down:rolleyes: It pays to shop local. Sent back my whole order. I went down to the stereo shop and got a set of these alpine type s speakers. They fit and sound amazing, for $120. They give you a high quality adapter ring with them. Perfect for our rear speaker location. Plus aimable tweeter.

HokieSi
04-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Cool shit, I think i'm gonna upgrade my speakers soon. Your quote rocks. That song is awesome.

Loudpedal
04-24-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm so not a car audio guy, but is it worth it to change just the speakers from stock, without an amp or diff. head unit?

Can you get better bass just swapping out our speakers? I don't really want to go the sub route as I need the hatch space to throw my mountain bike in, and that seems to be this systems main shortfall.

Surprise
04-24-2003, 05:43 PM
I installed a set of Polk's in the rear without any problems.

120 dollars for coaxials, ouch glad you like them.:D

paralysis
04-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Ok, the perfect fit sounds good to me. Can you give me the part or model number for them so Alpine can sell one more set, and so I don't have to do the "this don't fit" thing.
I am just going to get them from you saying they fit.

Oh, and does anyone know if Alpine has a set for the front, that fit like this with an easy install?
I know they have to be components or something like that.

mhx
04-24-2003, 06:14 PM
are you running an amp to them? or off stock H/U?

icegrill
04-24-2003, 06:58 PM
They are model is SPS-170A crutchfield sells them for $99 but you have to pay shipping so give or take $10. They are a perfect fit no drilling or messing around whatsoever. You just break off tabs on the ring to fit our 3 hole pattern. It literally took me 10minutes to install with the wireharness adapters. I'm just running them of the stock deck. Our deck is actually really good the speakers just suck. I can't even explain how shitty the stock speakers are. Alpines are amazing, all I listen to is rap it's like a night and day difference with bass and highs. Hope this helps. It was the first thing on my car that "bolted" right in. ;)

Speck
04-24-2003, 07:42 PM
I bought a set of Memphis PR 6.5's they fit perfectly, cept I drilled an extra hole to hold them in.

I've seen the Polks and I can see how they could be a pain.

-=speck=-

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-24-2003, 07:58 PM
So...what about the front components, were they a perfect fit too?

paralysis
04-24-2003, 08:12 PM
"what about the front components?"

I would like to know the Alpine model # of some front components that have a perfect fit also.

Anybody, Anybody.??.... Bueller.?...Anybody, Anybody....??

PM me if someone knows..

Speck
04-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Well.... I have Kicker Resolution RS6's up front... god, I wish I had the foresight to get/create a template to mount them (on order from Crutchfield now). All I can say it I am glad that I didn't tear the hell outta my hand, I Dremeled the damn thing til it was a good size and the filed it smooth. So... was it a perfect fit? No way, was it worth it for the sound? OMFG.... yes ;)

-=speck=-

ZigZag
04-24-2003, 10:32 PM
I checked the crutchfield website for those Alpine SPS-170A
And it seems that they dont fit our vehicle ( at least thats what the web site says ) also why does it have 2 different sizes
"6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Speakers" Does it come with one 6-1/2 and one 6-3/4 or what? :confused:

icegrill
04-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Crutchfields applications are not correct. I'm not sure about the fronts they are really lacking with these in the rear. I think you may have to splice into the harness because there is no external x-over. Plus the front speakers clip in instead of screw in. You need a little patience and ingenuity for a no cutting/splicing install.

Hatch, Si Hatch
04-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by icegrill
Crutchfields applications are not correct. I'm not sure about the fronts they are really lacking with these in the rear. I think you may have to splice into the harness because there is no external x-over. Plus the front speakers clip in instead of screw in. You need a little patience and ingenuity for a no cutting/splicing install.

Can you give a few details(maybe pics if you got em) of how you installed 6.5's in front with out cutting?

BlackNRedSi
04-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
I'm so not a car audio guy, but is it worth it to change just the speakers from stock, without an amp or diff. head unit?

Can you get better bass just swapping out our speakers? I don't really want to go the sub route as I need the hatch space to throw my mountain bike in, and that seems to be this systems main shortfall.

It is always better to get a upgrade on your stereo equipment....the stock stuff sucks ace...

buy boston acoustics pro series or z series www.bostonacoustic.com

get a aftermarket deck (alpine or something like that (a good one)) and run those speakers off the headunit....with the bostons, you will get some good thump off them, they arent normal 6.5s they are real strong and can take power up to 150watts a piece...(youll never blow them)(unless your a complete moron) the magnent on them are about the same size as the cone, and they look like mini subwoofers...thats my opinion

paralysis
04-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Just got finished putting in my Alpine SPS-170A
Nice sound, and easy to install, and only $89.00
Thanks for the model number information.

siver-SI
04-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Well I have to say I was happy I did nto order form them either. They stated that the 6 1/2 in the Inifiny line would not work and the 5 1/4 would. Well I went to Circuit City and they had the 605cs models at 179.99 and the 5 1/4 552I at 49.99 and that was a ok price. So I went back and thought I found my old Cruchfeild catalog and looked and they had the 605cs components at 139.99 but they were sold out. So for the heck of it I aske circuit city if they would meet they 139.99 and they said they would so with tax $200 and I had a install for me ready to go. Well I get to work on the car a few days latter and I did the rears first and I went to put in the 5 1/4 and they all most fell right through the hole and I had a huge gap all around the speeker were the hole is. Well I went back to Circuit City picked up the 652I speekers for $10 more and installed them and they fit just perfectly. Just had to redrill 3 holes for the speekers and add the taps inside the drill holes for the screws to thread right.

For the fronts I had to get a 1" riser adapter for the bottom speeker and for the tweeter I had to shave off the tabs on the in of the tweeter mount to make it so that the adapter would fit right in. Then I cut and added some wires and siliconed the cross over on to the inside of the door were the flat spot is right next to the speeker mount. I was happy I did not order though Cruchfeild doto the speeker for the rears and the problem I had. Now I am thinking of a new headunit and that is about it for my system that I am going to go with.

I have to say the install took me about 7-8 hours witch I did not think that was bad because this was my first speeker install. I wasted at least 2 hours if the install having to go back and check things because I thought I forgot something or just wanted to double check it. Now I want to get a head unit in and I do not know what I want to get though.