PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with body shop knowledge? (long)

icegrill
04-24-2003, 05:19 PM
I've posted this topic a few times, but it's still going on. Brief recap: Got my car in December got it home from the dealer 300miles away to find a crack and ding on the underside of the passenger fender. It had a little rust on it. Took it to the best body shop in my city and it looked good they fixed the spot and blended into the door.

Fast forward: 3 weeks ago I go back to have them replace the black triangle peice by the fender and fix some scratches they put in it removing the piece. Anyway the moron tech manages to somehow dent the fender removing it. Now they have to fix the dent plus repaint the fender again. I'm not happy with how the fender turned out, they're are inperfections in the consistency of the paint. The body shop says that silver is so hard to match that if they do anymore work it'll just look worse, they even offered to pay another body shop if I wanted to have it repaired there. What should I do? My car only has 1800 miles on it. I just want it perfect at any cost to them. They've put me through hell for the past 4 months. If anyone has some information I would be very appreciative. Sorry for so long but I don't want to even detail my car until it's like new. :'(

n8s si
04-24-2003, 06:25 PM
i just got my car back after 7 attempts to have my front fender fixed. Originally it never lined up with the d. side door & they actually painted the whole side! To make a long story short, i took it back 7 times for all the bullshit they did to it. Little new scratches here and there... drove me nuts. Mine is silver too so i know the feeling on trying to get these colors to match up. I guess my advice is either find a new shop as mentioned or live with what they did. (fix the dent though.) Mine is far from perfect but I'm gonna live with it. Getting our cars painted again may cause nothing but headaches. Or b/c these paintjobs are usually under warr. wait a couple of years & see what happens to the panel (rust or whatever) If problems arise get it painted then.

AznPower
04-24-2003, 06:25 PM
make them paint your whole car. When i had my car fixed i added a kit and they had to paint the whole car cause the silver color matchin shit. They told me that there are 6 different shades of the silver on our eps and its hard to match up so the best thing to do is paint the whole thing. even though i didn't want to repaint my car i ended up doing it anywayz after seeing the differenece. Even if its not true about the 6 shades your never going to get a perfect match of paint. the new will always be shinier than the old. goodluck though.

ep pilot
04-24-2003, 09:50 PM
I am an estimator at one of the most prestigious collision & frame shops in my area. We only work on vehicles going through an insurance claim and no car older than ten years of age. I have worked in the industry for eons and understand it from your perspective as a customer. I bought my Si new back in November, I had a concrete slab fall off a gravel transfer on the highway a month after I had my car, the slab broke apart in front of my Si and the debris from it slaughtered my shiny new bumper cover, hood and head lamps. Something to keep in mind, don