PDA

View Full Version : ek vs. ep dilema

hatchblack
08-07-2002, 03:19 PM
try this...got a 97 ek hatch..clean, nice looking, mild mods...if i keep it it's getting a swap...bought the wife a protege 5 under the "no modifications" stipulation. i'm on a kick to sell the hatch for a new si....BUT she says "put the 97 back to factory specs(no coils, rotas, etc) and trade the mazda, and she'll take the ek and i get the si???? problem is i can do better $ by selling the hatch(depreciation on a one year old protege not too favorable)
1. can i stand seeing my old hatch looking like a grocery getter everyday?
2. could i stand a new si with NO mods?
3. timing is right to buy the si's...if 2002 sales are bad will honda abandon importing a 2003 si?
4. as a 35 year old comfort does play a part..along with my "fellow age group" not really understanding the import scene

just asking for opinions...

SpeedRacer
08-07-2002, 03:24 PM
no to number 1 and 2 in my opinion the other too i dont know

DownTheHatch
08-07-2002, 03:46 PM
I would get yourself an Si, you are going to love how fun it is to drive, and your wife will too. The EK might be killer with a swap too, but you won't have the comfort/fun feature, when I say fun I'm refering to the bucket seats, molded steering wheel, and of course...the rally shifter.

It looks like you'd rather get rid of the EK.

About your comment about seeing your EK looking like a grocery getter everyday...seriously, you will get over your EK, it took me a week to get totally over my EG, now I really don't even like it anymore :)

Trade in the EK, keep the Protege (Protege is nicer). Plus you don't have to do any work putting the ek back to stock.

Good luck bro! We hope to see pictures of you driving an Si soon :)

David K.
08-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Be hard but possible for number one. Number two would be impossible for me. Three and four I'm not sure.

ek9jdmhb
08-07-2002, 04:22 PM
no disrespect to the new ep but keep the ek. i kind of regret selling my baby. and with a swap, i think you will have alot of fun with that car. also, the ep feels like your sitting too high off the ground. i like the way the ek felt (almost sitting on the ground when in comparrison)

insomniac
08-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Not sure why your wife wants to dump such a new car. My brother traded a base 97 Integra for his Pro5. He'd like more engine power but otherwise he's pretty satisfied with it. I've driven it and agree that it's a respectable choice in the current hatchback market (certainly is one of the best 'looking' designs). I say dump the ek, let her keep the Pro5, and you get a new Si:D.
'course, don't let her drive the Si or she will be profanely jealous.

DJQuikFingaz
08-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Get rid of the Protege, swap teh EK, and get the si.

edit: Or, ask for a promotion.

HondaMan
08-07-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by DJQuikFingaz
Get rid of the Protege, swap teh EK, and get the si.

edit: Or, ask for a promotion.

I 2nd that!

BlazeX12
08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
Get rid of the EK and the Pro5 and get 2 Si's one for her and one for you... awwww isnt that cute!

MagusDC5
08-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Get rid of the protege, keep the ek and swap a b18c1 or c5 in there...and you will be set

iR-VTEC2
08-07-2002, 10:19 PM
I think you should sit down with your wife and a deep talk with her. Let her know that you are a car guy. Too many guys just let their women talk control of their lives.

Let her know that you are all for compromise but also let her know that she should not try to change you. That's never good. If you want mods...you should be able to mod!

If its a question of money. Then i think you will satisfied with an EP(unless she takes it).

If you already talked to her about this then disregard this post!

There are a whole bunch of cars out there for the same price range that offer the same if not more performance than the EP.

Focus SVT
Sentra SER
Mini Cooper (personal fav)
Neon Turbo
Celica GTS

Dont get me wrong, id never get one of those. Im honda allllllll the way. HONDA ICHIBAN. But there are options...

DJQuikFingaz
08-07-2002, 10:36 PM
keep the ek and swap a b18c1 or c5 in there...and you will be set
Yup.

SIborland
08-08-2002, 05:30 AM
Kinda funny you posted this.....this is the exact same dilemma I had, with the exact same cars no doubt. I had 97 Midnight Blue Ek hatch and had enough to get a swap, but I decided to get the Si because of the fit and finish. Its a fun car to drive and really really comfortable. Sometimes I do wish I had a hybrid, but Im glad that I dont have to fix it up to be nice looking. Really you just have to wiegh the benefits. With a hybrid youre going to run into reliability problems, but be much faster. But you see what I chose, so best of luck to you.

hatchblack
08-08-2002, 06:48 AM
wow...great support. thanks all. we had the heart to heart last night. the post about being a car guy is so true, and not to be rude, some people will never understand what the "car" does for some people. to the guy who carelessly flings his taurus door into the side of your toothbrush clean ek, you'll never be able to convince them otherwise, but to most people on this forum, we all know our addiction. i am truly a honda guy, but am always open minded regarding other people who have the same devotion to their brand..with the exception to guys with big 'ol "h" emblems upside down on their back window along with 12 different color body kit pieces,confetti tint and stock rims ruining the "clean scene". will hang on to what i've got...97 ek's will not go down in value, and re-evaluate in the spring...it's not a money issue..just trying to convince myself and my wife what is REALLY important to me. that damn ek is so sharp....but then again that mugen ep........augh!

hatchblack
08-08-2002, 02:53 PM
i tell ya ...i've done some thinking on this deal...(maybe this needs to be in photochop, but as an illustrator artist i'd take exception to that:) )

DownTheHatch
08-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Illustrator artist eh? Cooool! Want a job?