PDA

View Full Version : Help wiring

my02si
04-25-2003, 09:41 PM
I need to wire a power lead to the parking lights... so that my guage comes on with the lights and off with the lights... Where is a wire I can tap into??? The easiest please... Thanks Josh

speedjunkiez
04-26-2003, 02:08 AM
there will be a wire you can use in the combonation switch.you will need a test light to find the wire though.the wire can not be a constant hot. or you will run a constant draw on your battery.hot when the ignition on and off with the ignition off. (iam sure you know that )

oogy-boogy
04-26-2003, 05:22 AM
Tap into your fuse box by using an Add a fuse......They're 6-7 bucks at Autozone, etc.

my02si
04-26-2003, 06:00 AM
What is an add a fuse.. how do I tap into the fuse box, or rather where is the wire go into the fuse box?? I guess. and the wire that is in the switch, do you mean the switch that turns the lights on and off? Arent those wires in the steering colum? Thanks Josh

oogy-boogy
04-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by my02si
What is an add a fuse.. how do I tap into the fuse box, or rather where is the wire go into the fuse box?? I guess. and the wire that is in the switch, do you mean the switch that turns the lights on and off? Arent those wires in the steering colum? Thanks Josh

Hey 02.......What's up.

It's actually called Add-a-circuit and it makes installs a snap.
Here's a link to give you an idea of what it looks like. (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?DID=7&Product_ID=1527)

FYI - There are 2 versions of this product. One is made for the larger US fuses and the other for the smaller import style fuses. You would need the smaller of the 2. What it does is go into your fuse box in place of the fuse. When you put it into the desired location, you can splice into that circuit and add a fuse for it at the same time. Basically, it will piggyback 2 fuses off of that circuit so you can run power off of the red wire. You just need to create a ground.

All you would have to do is take out your stock fuse for the headlights and put the Add-a-circuit in its place. Then run your positive to the red wire, black to a ground point and it will turn on and off with your lights! Easy as that without splicing any of your factory wiring.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I've actually used the same thing in a few other cars in order to get my neons to turn on when the doors open, lights turn on, etc. There are endless possibilities.

my02si
04-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks man I will give it a try... Thanks Josh

oogy-boogy
04-27-2003, 04:35 AM
No problem. Let me know how it turns out.

ssvr6
04-27-2003, 05:49 AM
That is the coolest damn thing I have ever seen! I go on parts express all the time too.

Great find Oogy!

Steve

oogy-boogy
04-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
That is the coolest damn thing I have ever seen! I go on parts express all the time too.

Great find Oogy!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I've been using them for years. They are so handy. I try to always have one in my toolbox. It saves a ton of time, stress and also keeps you from splicing any factory wiring. Be creative as you can run just about any tipe of switched power off of it.

dofu
05-03-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by my02si
I need to wire a power lead to the parking lights... so that my guage comes on with the lights and off with the lights... Where is a wire I can tap into??? The easiest please... Thanks Josh
did you ever figure that out?...i hooked mine up to the headlight in the fuse box up front cuz i couldnt find the fuse for the parking lights...it's kinda ghetto i think...and when im bored, i think about wiring it straight to the lights themselves!...let me kno how you ended up hooking yours up?

my02si
05-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeah I tried the fuse thing and come to find out that the parking lights are a constant power, therefore the guages were still always on!! So I undid the guages and the there are two plug at the top (green and Blue) On the green there is a red/black wire tap into that. That is the parking light. Now when the parking lights are on so are the guages, and when they are off samething. Hope that helps, Josh

dofu
05-04-2003, 04:29 AM
GREAT...THANKS!...now all i gotta do is find the RPM signal wire so i can hook up my tach!!!

chubbychu
05-14-2003, 11:30 PM
for these add-a-circuit things...do you have to know anything about electricity? because dont you have to match amps or watts or something when stickin stuff in the electrical system of a car? would someone care to teach me?