PDA

View Full Version : taking off console

Sooky
04-27-2003, 03:52 PM
anyone have any trouble taking off the console (the bottom portion w/ the shifter on it)?

i got the bottom clips off but the ones on the top corners wouldn't give.... it ended up kinda bending at that corner and made a tiny crease... :( one of those where only i'll see it tho, but its really annoying

anyone got any tips?

BlasTech
04-27-2003, 04:15 PM
I have creases too, but they're hardly noticeable unless I point them out. I hope its not too late on yours.

First when you get the bottom loose, try really hard to get a finger up from the shift boot hole to pop out the little blank button. Having that empty hole will give you a better place to pull straight out from.

Its easier the second time. BE CAREFUL!

Brettnyt
04-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Yeah, its reeeeeal tough... I got the creases too... U installin a knob, short shifter or what? Just be careful and it will pop out...

Steve02Si
05-02-2003, 08:11 PM
The easiest way is to use a VERY thin flat blade screwdriver between the trim panel and the dash. it doesnt take much pressure to release the clip. try to get all the corners started evenly and then lift it away. this is alot easier than prying from one end and forcing the other side to come out at an angle.

glw
05-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Sooky
anyone have any trouble taking off the console (the bottom portion w/ the shifter on it)?

i got the bottom clips off but the ones on the top corners wouldn't give.... it ended up kinda bending at that corner and made a tiny crease... :( one of those where only i'll see it tho, but its really annoying

anyone got any tips? my new service manual says to drop the glovebox and use a ratchet with 11 inch extension to push from the back... the picture shows the extension pushing at the top edge... too late for me... i got the creases from the first attempt before the manual

Si4U2NV
05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
...i dont wanna talk about it...

i have CREASESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and SCRATCHES from my damn fatigued and shaky handz.... im talkin about SCRATCHES...i'll take picz and share my misery later...

man...now im pissed again...

-Mike