PDA

View Full Version : RPM & Speed in 1st Gear...question. Please advice.

streaker666
04-28-2003, 12:50 PM
The more I drive my car, the more I realize this. OK, here's the 2 scenarios (both from stationary starts...perhaps it's something that I haven't realized before and that this is normal, or maybe something is wrong with my car)...please help:

1. In 1st gear, with foot halfway or more down the gas pedal, the car speeds up nicely (this situation is what I considered normal)

2. In 1st gear, with foot lightly on the gas pedal (less than halfway down the gas pedal), speed is considerably less at the same RPM as in situation one. So I would see the engine rev up to 4000RPM, and the speed is less than that of when I push the gas pedal more than halfway down...

Is this normal? I've always thought that the RPMs in each of the gears would represent a certain speed...I just found it very weird...

2k2_nbp_egg
04-28-2003, 01:45 PM
Well, its an analog speed/tach, so it's not going to be accurate down to the single rpm/mph, but i've always thought that at a certain rpm your car is doing a fixed speed, like i know that at 4K in fifth i'm usually doing about 78~ish. But maybe it's just the rate at which its rising + the whole analog thing that's throwing it off, or maybe you were on an incline? *shrug*

streaker666
04-28-2003, 03:31 PM
2k2_nbp_egg, thanks for your input... I'll look at it more closely next time...