PDA

View Full Version : Too bad they dont make these

DownTheHatch
08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~Styling-accessories-Headlight~Conversion~Kit-No-6617-1-1-1-1.cfm
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~Styling-accessories-Headlight~Conversion~Kit-No-6616-1-1-1-1.cfm

What do you think?

1fastminivan
08-07-2002, 09:57 PM
Man those are Nice!
I would definitely get them........but I would get rid of the cheap H3 projector that comes with them and put HID projectors..hehe:D

DOTEK
08-08-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
Man those are Nice!
I would definitely get them........but I would get rid of the cheap H3 projector that comes with them and put HID projectors..hehe:D

the proper term you're looking for is "BULBS," not projectors. You can just put HID bulbs in those projectors and it would still look good!--provided they're the RIGHT type of bulbs.

cleanblack2002
08-10-2002, 05:52 AM
I like those bulbs! They look good :)

1fastminivan
08-10-2002, 03:28 PM
If you put HID in those cheap projectors you get CRAP! Unless the halogen projector optics in those projectors are good which I highly highly doubt. You just cant through HID in any kind of housing....well I take that back you can but you wont get the nice optics and color that you would by real HID projectors or reflectors. I was stating I love the way the housings look. All you have to do is remove the I assume H3 projector and replace it with lets say an S2k projector and now you have S2k HID quality. Im not saying you cant put HID in those projectors but you wont get the quality you are expecting.....trust me:D .

I love those aftermarket housings..they look good. But honestly the quality in those projectors....I can almost gaurantee they are crap....when I say projector I mean the actual projector not the whole housing. You might get better results putting HID in your H4 reflector housing then you would out of the aftermarket projectors. Just my 2 cents. Like I said before Im a BIG HID NERD! lol!:cool:

DOTEK
08-11-2002, 02:02 AM
Then being a big HID nerd you should know that HID bulbs are just as important as any projector--matter of fact, it's the most fundamental part of any light upgrade! Case in point, you use your S2000 projector housing with its factory HID lights rated 4100K; I will use those same crappy projectors along with a set of Phillips rated 6000K HIDs...now who's going to look better?

Provided the optic lens made for a 30 thousand dollar car is always better than a $200 knock-off, there's also not a whole lot of difference between two pieces of glass lenses of the same size, shape, and dimension. The perception that projectors make ALL the difference has got to stop!

1fastminivan
08-12-2002, 09:08 PM
ok
you said "looking better"...well with the 6000k ultinons you lose a bit of light on the ground but you do "look better" if you love the color blue alot. And it will be blue but you lose lighting on the ground and you wont be happy with those crappy H3 projectors with 6k bulbs becuase their optics are way off and you will not get all the light on the ground like you should...........now if you want to "look better" then yes you can get those cheap projectors with 6000k bulbs and "look better" color wise but thats it...color is all you will get....you wont get the best light output with just throwing in Ultinon bulbs in any kind of cheap projector..now It will be brighter then halogen blue bulbs of course because its HID but it will not give you the best lighting. I can argue with you for a long time but until you actually perform this mod you wont understand..been there done that... Here is a pic of my old hatch with aftermarket projector housings with BMW HID projectors custom fitted. YES depending on what projector or even reflector there is a HUGE difference on light output. Have you had HID by the way? You can go here if you'd like www.lighting.philips.com and go to automotive lighting. I used to go there alot.
Jesus..I am a big HID nerd...lol!!! I can talk about it all day long.. if you want to talk more about it you can email Dotek.:D

DOTEK
08-13-2002, 12:02 AM
Yes mr. Fastminivan we can go on for hours on who's the bigger light nerd (did i just say that?);but who's got time for that? I'm lucid enough--as likewise you--to realize that neither of us are wrong, we're just not on the same page! :p I do acknowledge the fact that you're no novice, but I don't think I am either. Though if you like to have the last word, we can certainly do it over email as I am sure there are things we could still learn from each other.

As for your other inquiry, I do have and have dealt with HIDs before! --matter of fact, it's standard with my car--though I wasted no time in learning about this astonishing new technology.

My so called "relation" to you guys, my buddy owns one! :) This is us in our pre-modded stage.

DOTEK
08-13-2002, 12:05 AM
a little retaliation...

1fastminivan
08-13-2002, 08:14 AM
Dotek
your so lucky....you already have HID as a standard..haha.. Im jealous. That last pic is that the 6k philips ultinon bulbs? or is that just the "warm up" stage? Looks good. My friend took Is300 headlights and took out the reflector part of the housings and custom fitted them into his civic. Looks good too. OEM HID on a civic.hehe. Love your car! :D

DOTEK
08-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Thank you!

and nope, believe it or not a little PIAA Plasma Blue type 168 bulb did that! It's the parking-level lights; I'm still running on factory HIDs right now, potentially stepping up to something "cooler." hopefully it's not 6000K... ;)

1fastminivan
08-14-2002, 01:43 AM
I believe the standard bulbs that come in the IS300 if Im not mistaken are usually Osram bulbs. If so you should go with the philips bulbs not the Ulitinon 6000k bulbs but the regular 4100k unless you want to lose a little bit of light on the ground for color. So those piaa bulbs are the parking lights or city lights on the Is300? Thooose are blue....hehe. Philips bulbs are a little brighter in my opinion then the Osram bulbs becuase Ive seen comparisons between the two......now I do notice that the Osram has a little more of a bluish hue to it. But the older the HID bulb the bluer they get. Thats why when you do burn one out, buy two instead of replacing one because if you only buy one you will have a brighter bulb with a little yellow coming out of it and the older bulb will look bluer. Have you ever seen close up, an HID bulb while on....I mean really close up. If you do ever get a chance you will notice the color of the HID bulbs (4100K) are white with yellow. Its wierd how optics bring out that blue color.hehe you can try this website also for more info:
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/
hopefully that works.

DOTEK
08-18-2002, 01:03 PM
Alright, I'll lay down some facts just for the heck of it--Though, this kind of inquiries should be limited to email or PMs next time.

1. My factory HIDs are type D2R Sylvania bulbs.

2. The picture you see above is of the parking lights.

3. As you stated, HIDs rated 4100K DO give off the most light (lumen) because they stand in the spectrum that is closest/ most comparable to real sunlight.

4. Imitation "high intensity discharge" are getting whiter and whiter, day by day; the only probable solution for some in order to continue to "stand out" is if we avert ourselves to the OTHER SIDE of the light spectrum (namely bluer or purple-er.)

5. HID bulbs are sold only in pair, even so no one would be stupid enough to replace just 1 bulb. They have a typical life expectancy AT LEAST 2000 hours; in most cases they outlast the cars they're on.

6. If I do get my system upgraded, perchance i will loose A LOT of light. ;)

1fastminivan
08-18-2002, 09:31 PM
Dotek if you do get the Ultinon 6k bulbs can you post some pics? :cool: