PDA

View Full Version : springs or coilovers?

Blackapino85
04-28-2003, 11:16 PM
ok, i know that coilovers are adjustable and springs are for a specific height. coilovers sound like the best deal but what are the drawbacks? are they difficult to raise and lower? are they not as durable as lowering springs? i've read a few threads of people that either aren't satisfied with the drop of their springs or they don't like the ride quality. the skunk2 coilovers sound like a good deal but i want to research the possibilities before i purchase anything. thanks for any help!
:)

team ERA 5
04-29-2003, 12:34 AM
i have a neuspeed race dropp and still not satisfied haha but yea i would go SKUNK 2 COILS if i were u....they have a good rep....

where in san diego do u live??? i live in diego too CHULA VISTA...but always in mira mesa and san marcos....HIT ME UP ill show u my neuspeed race drop

Suk02Si
04-29-2003, 01:56 AM
your car will ride like crap and handle like jizz with coilovers an stock shocks.

02SilverSiHB
04-29-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
your car will ride like crap and handle like jizz with coilovers an stock shocks.
yeah, it will eventually get worse as it kills the stock shocks...koni's hmmmmmmmmmm :D

Blackapino85
04-29-2003, 07:14 PM
so which springs would you guys suggest then? (preferably the ones that give the lowest drop:D )

02SilverSiHB
04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Blackapino85
so which springs would you guys suggest then? (preferably the ones that give the lowest drop:D )
neuspeed race and sprint give the drop you are probably looking for. I'm not saying coilovers are bad, but if you get coilovers, plan on getting some new shocks. Even with my progress springs I want new shocks...so maybe you may want to still look into coilovers. I'm most likely getting Skunk2 coilovers because I won't like the wheel gap with the new rims I'm getting.

Hope that helps

IceD out N CALI
04-29-2003, 07:50 PM
neuspeed race probably your best bet for maximum drop in a spring. it is approx. 2.25 inch drop:)

Blackapino85
04-29-2003, 08:08 PM
thanks for all your help guys. how much are a set of neuspeed race springs running and from where?

IceD out N CALI
04-29-2003, 08:29 PM
thanks for all your help guys. how much are a set of neuspeed race springs running and from where?

check with showstoppersusa-great service/prices. i'm guessing u can pick some up for about 150 or so :)

Blackapino85
04-29-2003, 08:44 PM
thanks man!

SFla02si
04-30-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm not saying coilovers are bad, but if you get coilovers, plan on getting some new shocks.

I'm not understanding this. I thought if you get coilovers they have shocks that are intergrated with the setup??

Suk02Si
04-30-2003, 07:05 PM
oh, he meant coil-over sleeves:)

SFla02si
04-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Never heard of them before. Thanks for the info.

02SilverSiHB
04-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
oh, he meant coil-over sleeves:)
yeap, it seems like everyone says coilovers referring to coil-over sleeves, so I just go along with it. :)

Blackapino85
04-30-2003, 07:17 PM
i think that some applications include only the adjustable springs that attach to stock or aftermarket shocks ex.skunk2 some ground control(which are the ones that i was talking about) and others such as tein come complete with shocks. i'm not to sure though. correct me if i'm wrong.:confused:

02SilverSiHB
04-30-2003, 07:39 PM
i think that some applications include only the adjustable springs that attach to stock or aftermarket shocks ex.skunk2 some ground control(which are the ones that i was talking about) and others such as tein come complete with shocks. i'm not to sure though. correct me if i'm wrong.:confused:
yes, the skunk2 and GC are just the springs that can be adjusted and go on the stock shocks, or aftermarket shocks.

Tein offers fullcoilovers, soon progress will and eibach.

Blackapino85
04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
thanks for the cerification, aren't those tein's gonna cost like $1,300? i don't think i'll have any need for them unless i'm going into hardcore racing. autocross is a pretty good challenge for me right now as it is.:o

IceD out N CALI
04-30-2003, 07:54 PM
thanks for the cerification, aren't those tein's gonna cost like $1,300? i don't think i'll have any need for them unless i'm going into hardcore racing. autocross is a pretty good challenge for me right now as it is.:o

yeah the teins cost big $$

Tekdemon
05-04-2003, 08:30 PM
*whew* I was getting pretty confused too as I didn't realize the GC and skunk didn't come with the shocks...

So yay tein =P Now if only I had lots of money heh...I'd be all over the TEIN coilover with the electronic adjustments...but one can only dream...

/me dreams of a full TEIN coilover with electronic in dash adjuster, 17" Volks of some sort(maybe the LEs?) with 225 width super sticky tires...and a K20A and transmission with helical LSD and 8:1 forged pistons with internals done to boost 20psi...that's pushing 426whp to the ground(see the cybernations rsx-s hehe)

ooh I think I messed my pants =P