PDA

View Full Version : How much should I pay for tinting?

RiceCzechs
04-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Round here in Cleveland, I've been quoted $260 (all windows minus windshield) from a place that looks professional and has "computer cut" tinting, to $200 from some other place. Do these prices sound competitive?

Steve02Si
05-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Sounds about right. I'd highly recommend a 4"-6" strip on the windshield in either tint or preferrably vinyl to block the sun, considering that there's no factory tint in the glass. Find out what kind of tint they're using. Try to find a shop that has Lumar (this is what we use). It's the best in the business. Johnson is also a very good brand. you want something with some scratch resistance and UV protection, and tint with metal content instead of just dye will not discolor (that's why you always see cars with purple looking tint).

IceD out N CALI
05-04-2003, 09:22 AM
kinda pricey. i guess $200 for all windows (including windshield) could be doable

sniperSI
05-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Jeezus christ!

I paid 120, for mobile tinting, the guy came to my work, did all windows 15% 1 piece on the back(usualy costs more cause they have to heat shrink the piece rather then 2 pieces.) and the front top tinted.

200 is nuts.

2k3vbpEP
05-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Actually for the windshield especially check the rules of your state. Some allow a strip upto 4" down (california) others require that you go no further the the AP1 line (typical factory tint on windshield that appears to be arched about 3" down)

misterx89
05-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey there,

I just wanted to put in some info, dont take it the wrong way. Hopefully you've asked around w/ your friends to see if anyone knows someone who does tinting. I had mine done by a friend for $60.00 cash. He works for a tint shop but does it at home too. Good metal/double thick tint with front 4" strip and babypower/heatshrink rear glass. Just a bit o info to check out. Lol, bye the way, he did say he gave me a better price then he gives some girls. Good luck, but don't get screwed. :o

esmith13
05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
I paid $160 for 15% all round (except windshield) and got a lifetime warranty (minus owner idiocy, of course)

Eric.

Si4U2NV
05-05-2003, 07:17 PM
therez a place down the street from me (in miami) and it does all your windows (no matter wha car) for $50...and they do *illegal* limo tint too... no extra charge... and it comez wit a 7 year warranty...

soundz good to me...even if it only lasts a year... that would be $100 every two YEARS...not bad...

-Mike;) :p

K20NutBucket
05-05-2003, 10:26 PM
you might want to "shop" around. I got mine plus front strip for 145 cash, 15%. the guy even wrote down on the paper that he did 35% so if i got pulled over(very un-likely) i can show the cops its legal.....at least thats what the paper says......

BSEVEER
05-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
Sounds about right. I'd highly recommend a 4"-6" strip on the windshield in either tint or preferrably vinyl to block the sun, considering that there's no factory tint in the glass. Find out what kind of tint they're using. Try to find a shop that has Lumar (this is what we use). It's the best in the business. Johnson is also a very good brand. you want something with some scratch resistance and UV protection, and tint with metal content instead of just dye will not discolor (that's why you always see cars with purple looking tint).

All cars have a slight tint to the factory glass.

FACTION95Si
05-06-2003, 04:26 PM
I paid 240 for Formula 1 full metallic tint film. It was $160 for the cheaper dyed film. This came with a lifetime warranty and the strip across the windshield as well.

My old 99 Si I got the cheaper tint film that turned purple after about 2 years of sitting in the sun. It also had a lifetime warranty so I got it redone after much hassle.

I'd say just go to a shop that will do good work and not mess your car up. Make sure the film comes with a lifetime warranty. When I got my EP done about a month ago the only thing that the installer took apart was the plastic trim around the rear window. They didn't remove the door panels.

Steve02Si
05-06-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by BSEVEER

All cars have a slight tint to the factory glass.

I'm referring to the blue tint strip that most cars have at the top of the windshield. the EP has none, which really sucks considering how high the windshield is! If anyone from the Philly area needs tint done, come to Good Vibrations Auto Salon in Horsham, PA. Tell Dave you know Steve with the white '02 Si and he'll hook you up.

EViLsneakyDUCK
05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
I paid $150 for 28% for the 2 fronts and the rest were 18%. Lifetime warranty included and it was Llumar Centaur tint.

Suk02Si
05-07-2003, 03:04 AM
120-150 sounds about right. Around LA you can get it done for just about 100 bucks for every window, not including the windshield.

TrippZ
05-11-2003, 12:35 PM
does anyone know where i could get a nice - CHEAP tint job in Dallas? Near Richardson preferably?

Si02
05-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si

Are you in the tinting business? If so I live in Reading, Pa how much to get mine tinted?

SinisterCivicSi
05-17-2003, 10:11 PM
WOW! over 200 is way to high in my opinion. i paid 150 for mine, 10% all over with a lifetime guarantee. they also said any bubbles that come up after a couple days, bring it back so they can redo it for free.

Civicvtec1ps
05-17-2003, 10:16 PM
ya paid about 155 with lifetime warrenty

civicpimp
05-17-2003, 10:19 PM
I paid $150 for 5% all around including the sunroof and 6 inch glarestrip. Lifetime waarenty even if I scratch it myself.

Steve02Si
05-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Si02

Are you in the tinting business? If so I live in Reading, Pa how much to get mine tinted?

The shop I used to work at does tint. I'd offer to do it for ya, but I dont have much free time right now.

Good Vibrations Auto Salon
Horsham, PA 19044
215-675-8204