PDA

View Full Version : Si=Broken necks

513n179
04-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Since saturday, I've noticed that everytime I take my car out, people seem to be amazed by the sight of it. I catch more people staring and jocking the Si than I did in my Zeal Hatchback.

Does anyone else get this kind of attention when your out on the road?

Marcivi
04-29-2003, 12:02 PM
When I drive around town here, I always have people looking at my car. There are only about 2 others on the road here and mine is the first I've seen with wheels and a lowering job. I usually just yell at then saying that it's a Honda. Nobody will pull up even with me at a red light either. They usually have thier front bumper about even with the back of my car doors. What are they thinking, that I race off a light every chance I get?

-Jack

fsugatorbait
04-29-2003, 12:05 PM
I definately do get some looks, but as far as getting people to mess with me when I feel like playing a little its ridiculous. Ive had two cars make a go at it with me. My roomate cant believe it when i drive cause when hes driving (99 EX, CAI, Evo) he gets people reving on him all the time. I dont know if its due to respect or what, but there arent many on the road in my area. Ive only seen 3 other si's on the road since the beginning of january when i got mine.

BarracksSi
04-29-2003, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think it has anything to do with respect.

The days of the hot hatchback are long past. The Golf GTI, 84+ Civic S hatch, and similar cars were their own rage for a while, but I'd think that Honda itself turned the trend away from hatchbacks when they made the Si model out of the coupe.

So, it looks kinda like yet another hatch (although three-door hatchbacks are relatively rare these days), with less surface geegaws than, say, the Matrix & Proteg

SBC31
04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Unfortunately, I don't think it has anything to do with respect.

I disagree with that statement. Everyone that has seen my car loves it, and they have said so. I think you are assuming things with your statement, and is not a valid statement...:D Just my opinion.

BlackBullet02Si
04-29-2003, 01:22 PM
i'm gotta respect, people revving at me, and a couple races off lights - won all but with the corvette.... I love the car because its so different, i'm constantly getting people saying things like "cute car." I love it, because no its not a supercar like a BMW z3 M or something like that. I don't expect people nodding every chance they get, but still they do it. :D

master7
04-29-2003, 01:37 PM
I catch people in a daze looking at my SI all the time and to top it off I stripped her of all her badges ,except the the Mighty honda H's, I 've had cats actually roll down their window to ask what kind of car is that, i am really not concerned if they dont know its a SI cause for the ones that are into cars they know , and for those that aren't into cars its just so JAmes Bonds (Special agent like a prototype ride. The best one yet thou was a public city bus driver waved me to pull up beside to say holly smokes the shift knob is in the middle, i looked back and almost all the passengers on his side was looking in the sunroof :cool:

AznPower
04-29-2003, 02:07 PM
i get peeps stopping in parking lots all the time peepin out my car. I always think there going to do something but they just stare and they don;t even notice i'm staring right back at them like "what the hell are u up too", lol. But i some of the strangest peeps askin me bout my car like rednecks, 50 yr old men, luxary car drivers wit porches and benz rollars. hahaha

BarracksSi
04-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by SBC31

I disagree with that statement. Everyone that has seen my car loves it, and they have said so. I think you are assuming things with your statement, and is not a valid statement...:D Just my opinion.

Must be a regional thing, I guess. I imagine the typical Washington, DC, resident is kinda jaded -- at least in my neighborhood. I've washed & waxed my car in the street, and only one person has said anything about it being a race car (that was only because of the seats). Everyone else either goes, "What the heck is that??" or, "Is that the hybrid?" I've had one acquaintance ask honestly if it's a Focus... a**hole.. lol

I suppose if there were more of the right kind of drivers around me, it would get more attention. But, it just doesn't, not in my area. Not many second glances from pedestrians, nobody revving next to me (apart from some woman in an Accord who wanted to scoot ahead of me before her lane closed), and only two people have walked up to me to ask about the car after I've parked it. It's gotten more attention than my old 86 Si, but of course -- it's new.

Each time I take one of my friends for a ride, though, they are converted into believers. Nobody dislikes the EP after it's held their ass.