PDA

View Full Version : tuning shops need to change, no really

USMCSI
04-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Okay I'm going to do a little venting here and tell you how Tuning shops should change feel free to respond.

I started today by calling Inline Four.com to order some things for my motor. The guy was nice enough to check his inventory and tell me that he didn't have the parts. He was a little short with me but hey I mean he wasn't that bad.

Next I call JDMHondaParts.com to see if they have the parts that I need in stock. On their website it says they do but obviously they do not update it right away. They guy answers the phone like he doesn't have a pair of balls and just says "jdm" Doesn't give me his name nothing. I asked him If he had the parts he said he didn't know, and then he just says no. I asked him if he could special order some parts he says he doesn't know, he went to go see. He came back and said it takes a couple weeks, I asked exactly how long, he said he didn't know. I then ask him if he is sure he didn't have one of the parts in stock. He says he will check. HE comes back and says that he does have it..

I said "I thought a couple minutes ago that you didn't have it."

He says"Well I didn't get up and check last time."

I said,"Well no shit, imagine that, you got up and suddenly you found it."

So in the end they ended up having some of the parts and I bought them because they are the only ones that have them. It took him like ten minutes to get my billing address down cause I live on a base, I am a United States Marine. I gave him my address which starts with my rank, And It Took forever to understand that it wasn't the street it was my rank..I swear he has issues. Anyway I had to break it down for him like this, when a doctor gets his certification he becomes Dr. J. J. Smith. Well I earned the rank that I get to wear and as such it is a part of my name. I think the light bulb went on in his head then.

And at the end he didn't say thankyou, I DID.

Maybe I'm just a Marine and expect to much out of people, but I figure if someone is going to spend $400 dollars in my place of buisness I will show him some fucking courtesy, I will call im SIR and I will act like I want to do my Job and get him the correct info he needs and in a timely matter.
Should I write a nasty gram to JDM or what? give me some feed back. Please, and thank YOU for listening.

jaydub
04-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Sadly nobody has any respect for their customers anymore. I will say it seems like Showstoppers (who advertise on here) have really done their part to not only be a part of the EP scene, but to really get to know their customers. I haven't even ordered anything from them either, because i'm flat broke.

I feel for you though, I got the same treatment trying to get some information about a 5 lug conversion. They all act like they're doing YOU a favor by giving you information. It's pretty unfortunate when they forget that if it wasn't for you and me buying their stuff, they would cease to exist.

cj miller
04-29-2003, 04:45 PM
yeah when i go into car shops it seems like they just want to get rid of me. where i work(rubios) we treat every customer very well and they give us about $6 each. when people go into car shops they dont spend $6 they spend 200-5000. so why are we treated as if we are scum and they are higher? but we do keep comming back though so....:confused:

Tekdemon
04-29-2003, 04:53 PM
lol maybe I should scrape together some cash and start a user-friendly tuner shop =P

But the thing is I think friendly help costs more money than mean and incompetent help =P

chet
04-29-2003, 05:27 PM
If its your money, just make sure of what you're getting. People are careless, selfish creatures these days. There are no gentlemen and ladies left. Everyone's a "playa" or a "balla" or a "ho". Whatever, I am nearly 32, I come from a different age and type of upbringing I guess. Things change.

If you are interested in ordering products online here are a few suggestions.
1) definitely talk to Chuck and or Rocky at Showstoppers.

2) Go to www.groupbuycenter.com and check out the threads started by customers who have ordered from vendors there. Be very selective. Call 'em up. If they are instantly short, just hang up the fucking phone and move on.

3) Mike at www.machiii.net was also very helpful for me. I purchased a set of Rota Attacks for about 6, and he threw in the lugs for free.

4) ANd last, be patient, sometimes you have to realize you are the better man, and the person you are talking to is just wandering through life aimlessly, waiting for a ball of fire from the sky or the voice of God to reach them. Sorry if I seem biblical or something, but have wondered for many hours what the fate of humanity will be. People suck, they know it, and worst of all they don't give a phlyin phuck!! Sorry to ramble on so long. I have dealt with so many similar situations lately I had to vent too.

Papa Bear
04-29-2003, 06:00 PM
I have dealt with Showstoppers and Grille Tech and both were excellent! I can't stand doing business with incompetent fools, especially when it comes to my car. Its getting harder and harder to find decent service too. You never know who is working on your car these days and when they can''t fix the car's problem after the fourth attempt they don't understand why you aren't happy and offer you a free oil change.

DownTheHatch
04-29-2003, 06:33 PM
There's about 5 tuning shops around here, the best customer service has to be Racing Zone but I don't buy parts from local shops because A: They take forever to get your part instock B: The prices are jacked up C: They don't always have what you want, and you may have to spend some time explaining exactly what it is.

When you buy online, you see what you're getting, you click on buy, enter your credit card no. and address and about a week later you've got your part in hand.

If only there was a local shop around here that stocked parts, then you could walk in with cash and walk out with your parts on the same day, but no, they have to special order everything unless its one of their wheels on display.

javi2002whitesi
04-29-2003, 06:54 PM
yo im bought parts from racing zone and they have great prices and good availability. When i went they had both the hks exhaust and the greddy exhaust they also had dc sports headers in stock. They guys are great there and they price match.(on most parts)

mrfixit687
04-29-2003, 06:54 PM
local shops will never stock parts anyways, they dont have that kind of money, the only parts that they'll stock are ricer shits, cuz thats mostly the stuff they sell. ive been ordering all of my stuff online for like 2 years now, you get the best prices

USMCSI
04-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Me and a friend had the same idea to start a friendly tuning shop back in the day when I lived in VA. We both work on cars regularly, and at the time we both worked in repair shops and have experience working on cars we couldn't get off the ground though.

I talked to the guy again at JDM and he was actually a little bit warmer with me. I asked he was the same guy(since he still has not given me his name) and he was like yes. I couldn't tell it is like someone stuck a foot up his ass this afternoon to get him to work.

I still rate their service as just average though.

I'm gonna try Showstoppers next.

minimay7
04-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Sadly... This is true about most of the industry...

I think this subject matter is very serious. As a society, we last something that we valued before. Today, we live in an era where cynicism is accepted and people have no respect for the tradition. This is due to the previous generation that abused above things that lead to later generation being turned off by their attitude.

This seem not related to this tuning shop issue. But, it's all related, you see? There are many industries today that popped up in last decade or so as a "hot business". For example, internet business, 3D animation/2D animation, and dietary suppliment business, etc... This lead for people to just flock into these market without the proper training. "Proper Training" meaning being properly educated. This doesn't mean that in order to become a tuning shop owner, you have a skill to work on cars. It means that you know what it means to business and know how to repect and treat customers. It means that you care aobut the corporate image and understands that your employees are the faces of your business. I can go on and on about what's lacking in today's small business. But, what's more amazing is that these problems are universal.

I think I've been rambling too much about this. But, I am very passionate about this subject matter. I hope this thread will bring an awareness to EPeople to stay in school, learn to become more responsible. And ultimately, become new faces of the new generation that will bring balance to the force:D

BarracksSi
04-29-2003, 08:25 PM
It's a lot like music stores, it seems.

There are a few mail order music supply companies that carry almost everything under the sun, and for entirely reasonable prices. They usually have showrooms at their warehouse, and it's astouding to see that they even have so many tubas just waiting to be honked.

Then, local music shops just can't compete for most items. They can't move the volume (less stuff to sell per employee = higher necessary prices), they need to pay higher rent (usually), and nearly every small music shop just doesn't have the connections to the obscure manufacturers & products.

Just like car parts, musical instruments are highly specific and geared for an individual's tastes. Not even the largest mail order suppliers can stock everything.

And, USMCSI, I know what you mean when you said, "Maybe I'm just a Marine and expect too much out of people." We've got pretty high standards in the Corps, and it just seems so easy to reach them day after day. Civilians often frustrate the hell out of me, too.

I want to run a company and make it kick so much ass, nobody can match it.

chet
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Just a thought, but it may be helpful try and invite more vendors here. I know there are some specifications about vendors being able to advertise (donate to the site, etc.). But if they see that there are hundreds of possible buyers, it could have an impact on them getting things we want. Free trade, commerce, competition. I like how Howard with Pole Position Products brought us some different choices. It was beneficial to have another vendor come in who offered products we couldn't get before.

02SiHB
04-30-2003, 04:37 AM
Tuner shops *do* need to get on the ball.. I heard some guys whining that they poured thousands of dollars into their local tuning shop they owned, but they had to close because they weren't getting customers. And they were blaming the "kids" in town and were calling them ricers and they dont know what a *real* shop is.... [heavy sarcasm] Yeaaaaaaaaah, you're a real tuning shop selling all those blinking lights and momo seat belt pads [/heavy sarcasm]

Well, maybe if there wasn't the same 4 guys hanging around the shop 24/7 (that didnt even work there) being a-holes to everyone that walks through the door expert or novice. Same with the owners, how do you expect to sell someone parts when you're pissy with them over the phone or even in person.

Same with online stores, there's just no consideration for the buyer... I've sent emails to stores in my town saying "It's really bad having a clique hanging around your store... it's a bad atmosphere having the same people there every day... People arent comfortable walking into a group of friends and starting a conversation (communication is key to sales) or buying parts when that is going on"

CTR16611
04-30-2003, 05:46 AM
there is one and he doesnt know shit about anything on my car maybe cause its jap and i live in germany i asked him to send an inquiry about some parts i came back a week later when i got there then he called them and asked he did it when i got there it was about front rotors and exhasut

hypnoj
04-30-2003, 06:38 AM
Chuck at showstoppers is the only way to go, I've called and talked to him on several occasions, even about stuff they didn't carry and he's was very helpful and always courteous. I don't know where showstoppers is located, I don't know what Chuck looks like, but I know that other mod shops need to follow Showstoppers example and become more customer friendly.

King Kang
04-30-2003, 07:22 AM
You marines have to come to terms with the reality that at least 95% of civilians have not been taught the sense of discipline and integrity that you have become so acustomed to. I can't stand bad customer service! I hate talking to a salesperson who either doesn't care about my business and/or doesn't know the prodcut they're selling. It really is a shame that people don't have respect for their customers these days. You should expect good customer service. You should complain to the management when you don't get it. You shouldn't expect to be called "sir" by anyone these days though.....unless you live in the south!

I've worked in retail before...believe me, it sucks. There is a lack of respect on both sides. Lots of cutomers treat sales people like second class citizens. This is not an excuse for poor customer service! I simply don't understand why people don't have more respect for eachother.

That downward spiral stuff in some of the other posts really rings true for my feelings too. I still have hope though!

ballsdeep
04-30-2003, 07:23 AM
well said 02SiHB I totally agree. Last time I was at my local tuner shop the same people were there hanging around like always I looked around for about 10 - 15 min. and nobody even asked me if I needed any help. If someone walked into my place of business and nobody acknowledged them someone would be fired. I've dealt with jdmhondaparts before and wasnt very impressed with the way they do business either. My dad orders a lot of parts for his audi and its the same bad customer service it seems like all of these tuner shops need to get it together except for showstoppers they get a big thumbs up

02SiHB
04-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks ballsdeep...

I can't stress how glad I am someone started this thread.

If I had a tuner shop, even if it sold rice... Somone walks in, I'd greet them with a "Hey! How's it goin man? " and a "can I help you with anything? Then you know how most buyers are and say no and want to be left alone... Then i'd say "no problem, if you have any questions feel free to ask me or the mechanic, and if you cant find something, we'll see if we can get it on order for ya"

Service with a smile.. I've been a customer service rep at food and fitness places (what a contrast :D ) and let me tell you.. I've had people come up to my face, tell me I'm a bag of shit and they are writing to the company to complain... Give me 3 min, they'll be walking out of there happy as hell, and calling their friend telling them what a great business I'm running... Too bad these "tuning" shop owners don't get the idea and capitalize on kids who want to get into cars... They could turn a great profit... But in that respect, I'm not talking about shops that take advantage of kids... I'm talking about helping them learn a thing or two...

EDIT: I actually just mailed this to a shop I visited in NC.. haha excuse the grammar... And to think I was an English major! :)

"First and foremost let me say how nice you guy's shop looks. Very clean, not dirty, big selection.

I run a business up in Philadelphia, PA and I'm writing this email to just comment on the service at your store.

I came up there on a friday night as I was visting a friend in greenville that used to be a frequent at your shop. As with any shops there was a congregation of people outside that my friend informed me were the "normals" and in fact I see some of their cars on your site.

As we go to walk in the shop, one of the guys says that I smoked my clutch while on the drive there and continued to be rude. Which is okay, cause he obviously showed his ignorance. Cause it wasn't my clutch. Dumbass. Either way I enter the store and was really impressed.

But when we walked in, no one said hello, just two guys standing around staring. The guy with the s13 was nice, but not the other guy. I asked about an exhaust and they guy said that he didnt have any for sale.... Uh.... I thought you guys had a huge inventory? And you don't have ONE exhaust for a Civic Si? (probably the most riced out car on the road) Hmmmm... Not sure if the guy was trying to be an ass, lazy, or just didn't like us...

Well we ended up leaving and the 2 guys that live there (in greenville) told me you guys are always rude, and there are the same people standing around, talking shit to everyone.

Like I said, I have my own business so I am in the same boat. But you guys need to realize you are losing a ton of business from crap like this. If your friends had a life and weren't outside harassing customers, not to mention staring at them when they walk in and being jerks when they ask for something... Maybe you'd sell a lot more parts and actually gain a reputation for being a real shop and not just a rice-market. No disrespect, if you do great business like this, That's fine.. just letting you know you guys could be a lot better."

f1fever
04-30-2003, 11:15 AM
I do agreed with both King Kang and 02SiHB. I mean sometime it take respect from both sides to get the deal done.

I do hate when I go in a store and no one try to greet me or so. But sometimes I do see some really dick head customer just try to make the sales person's life harder, all because they think they have the money to spend and the sales person should worthship him/her like a fucking King.

If I ever see a dick head sales person that talk shit to me, no matter how cheap their stuff is, I'll just walk out without any regrets. Maybe is not a choice you like, but is still a choice.

Bottom line is, sometime great service comes with a high price tag.

Just my own opinion :D

BarracksSi
04-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by King Kang
You marines have to come to terms with the reality that at least 95% of civilians have not been taught the sense of discipline and integrity that you have become so acustomed to.

Believe me, we've also learned to keep our mouths shut so that we don't cause a scene.

During one discussion in boot camp, one of my fellow recruits asked the Drill Instructor if he ever "went into DI mode" out in the civilian world. He said, "Oh, it would be so easy! Like going to McDonald's, and they're just taking too long, I'm so tempted to start going (in pissed off Senior DI mode), 'HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PUT A PIECE OF MEAT ON TOP OF A SLICE OF BREAD?!?!'" It would be terribly funny, but it would scare the customers away, too.

I'll give respect first -- a shop employee has to do something for me to turn off that respect. At the very least, I try to be a helpful customer, giving them what they need to know, and hopefully making their five minutes with me into a decent part of their day. They've got other idiots to deal with, so I might as well be a nice guy.

Papa Bear
04-30-2003, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by King Kang
[B]You marines have to come to terms with the reality that at least 95% of civilians have not been taught the sense of discipline and integrity that you have become so acustomed to.
How true. how sad.:(

ShowstoppersUSA
04-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Im so sorry to hear that this is happening out there to you guys! I wish it could be better but I myself encounter problems from time to time. My take is just that this is a growing industry and no manufacturer, distributor or vendor can keep up with it. There are thousands of parts for hundreds of cars and no one shop can do or carry it all...

02-up Civic SI and EPHatch.com, two special things to Showstoppers USA

Were here to take care of you guys so let us know if you have any suggestions or comments! The last thing I want is to end up like another bad tuner shop out there. We will try our hardest to keep every part out there for the EP in stock so at least EPHatch.com doesnt have to worry about special orders, back orders or lag orders!

Thanks for the support everyone!

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

I SELL HONDAS
04-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Customer service and sales is tough. I like to think I treat my customers like you all are wanting to be treated.

There are not near enough got service poeple out there so, let them know when and if they do well.
Showstoppers did a great job for me.

Marcivi
04-30-2003, 10:15 PM
USMCSI, chances are the guy on the other end is.....

A. Not a Honda fan and probably drives a Neon.

B. Drives a domestic "Muscle" car and thinks we're lower life forms, that being a "Ricers"

or

C. Was regected by the Marines or some other service and thinks that he is a higher life form then us that serve.

Either way, sounds like the guy needed an adjustment. Maybe we should go down there and crack some skulls. Then we can call him a commie when he's down. j/k ;) Get you're parts, then try another shop. One that respects both costumers and those that serve.

-Jack

midas
05-01-2003, 01:13 AM
the thing is alot of these shops are owned and run by young people who think its more important to be "cool" then to run a professional shop. its more important to them to hook up the same people and heaven forbid they make friends with their new customers. and they hire their friends who answer the phone with attitude because you know they are making squat..so they vent by acting like dicks on the phone. these guys are jokers and are in the business for the wrong reasons...just DONT SHOP THERE!

the reality is in a few years places like showstoppers will probably grow and be successful while these places will be replaced by a vietnemese nail shops. and they wont be missed...;)

AlBlueCar
05-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I haven't had much experience with tuner shops (first car is my EP) but i found optauto.com and used that. I couldn't log on to the site for days and i wanted to order some stuff. So i, with great fear of asshole service, called them up and instead of getting some dickhead, i had a guy that actually talked about my car like he knew all about it. Alot of the conversation was on other cars too (chit chat about WRX, Evo, etc..). I told him what i wanted, and he gave suggestions for similar or better products. He told me to get Eibach sportlines over Progress because they would give me the look and performance that I wanted, instead of just telling me to go for the lowest ride height. To top it off, he got me FREE SHIPPING:D from Cali to Illi. Kick ass. So options got my vote for tuner shop. He also said he could get a discount for me on the complete CTR kit, but thats for when i get money.