PDA

View Full Version : S2K engine start button/Hazard moved!

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:26 PM
I know im probably with the minority on this one, but I had to find something to take up that dummy hole in our center console. The s2k start button seemed to fit in the Hazard hole perfectly, so I went ahead and made a little DIY.

#1 The kit i bought from ebay came prewired with a relay and detailed instructions specific for our car. All you need to find is a switched power and ground, and the starter and ignition wires. For the power and ground wires I used the cigarette lighter socket just below the console.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNDk5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:29 PM
#2 For the ignition and starter wires I took apart the steering column cover which exposed them. There both in the brown connector, the ignition wire is black/yellow and the starter is black/white.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTAwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:32 PM
#3 the switch and relay both have to be grounded, however, for power all you need to run it to is the relay.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:34 PM
The ignition is run directly from the switch and the starter from the relay.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTAzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Now for the fun part...I used a dremel tool to cut off the mounting bracket from the back of the center colsole and a 1 1/4 hole saw to cut the hole to the correct size.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:44 PM
I took the two brackets screwed them into the switch and positioned them on the new hole, centered, and then hot glued them in place.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTE0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Finally I mounted both buttons in their respective holes and put everything back together...I plan on painting the interrior pieces that are silver a non-gloss red so i wasnt too careful when sanding the hazard hole which explains the scratches.

EDIT:I forgot to add that you have to notch out the top piece a bit as well as the metal bracket for clearance...ill post a pic with what im talking about later.
Also I ordered amber gel caps for the bulbs on both the starter switch and hazard button so they will match the rest of the dash...if you guys are interested when they come in ill post part #'s.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTExNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

IceD out N CALI
04-30-2003, 05:45 PM
nice DIY

ShowstoppersUSA
04-30-2003, 06:23 PM
SOOPER SWEET!!!! How was the hazard button fitment? I've always wanted to do this, but I heard the hazard button wouldn't fit. Looks great, imma do this next. Thanks for the DIY!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ShowstoppersUSA
SOOPER SWEET!!!! How was the hazard button fitment? I've always wanted to do this, but I heard the hazard button wouldn't fit. Looks great, imma do this next. Thanks for the DIY!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Thanks bro, you have to open up the hole a bit to get the button to fit, I used a 1 1/4 hole saw.

fsugatorbait
04-30-2003, 06:59 PM
This is the area that you have to notch...
The metal bracket needs to be notched as well on the bottom (not pictured)

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMzcwNTEzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

EPTree
04-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Good job, mang. Now you just have to post a video of u turning on the car with the push-start...cuz I'm lame like that

golferjn
04-30-2003, 09:51 PM
good job. looks nice

william
04-30-2003, 10:40 PM
awsome pics! looks great! A+

bmx269
05-01-2003, 08:33 AM
If you recieved a genuine Honda S2000 start button, you do not need a relay. I am confused why the people that you picked up the kit from said it was required. I should move my hazard button over, since I was one of the first to do this mod./ :) hehe

fsugatorbait
05-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by bmx269
If you recieved a genuine Honda S2000 start button, you do not need a relay. I am confused why the people that you picked up the kit from said it was required. I should move my hazard button over, since I was one of the first to do this mod./ :) hehe

Sorry to rain on your parade:o. I bought a kit with the button included that came with the relay. I didnt say you need one, I said that what I bought came with one and didnt mean to imply I was the first to do this. sorry for any confusion:confused:

bmx269
05-01-2003, 10:24 AM
I think you misunderstood me. I was not bragging, I was just relating on how I should move my hazard button over since it is hiding under my dash. I was questioning the relay because the honda part has a relay built into it, that is all.

fsugatorbait
05-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Oh no problem, i didnt mean to imply that you were bragging. Your post actually got me to attempt this mod.

AkronSi
05-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Great DIY. The push start is super cool.

minimay7
05-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Nice Mod!!!:eek:

I think going to some hardware store and finding a chromed ring to put around the hazard button just like the starter button will cover the roughed out edges of dremeled hole.

Yes bmx269, it's about time you do yoru hazard button!!!:D
I recommand you to use epoxy to hold down the brackets for hazard button. I think hot glue might be too weak in a long run.

fsugatorbait
05-02-2003, 09:01 AM
I was thinking about something like that as well, any ideas about where I might be able to find the chrome ring other than a hardware store?

IchBinEinSiR
05-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Neat-o beneat-o... where did you get the kit? Can we just purchase an S2000 starter button from Honda? Please let me know, as I now know what I want to do on May 2-4 weekend! Thanks!!!:D

fsugatorbait
05-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I picked up the kit off ebay...came pre wired with relay and instructions...I would assume you could just get the switch but then you'd have to figure out the wiring.

bao_pay
05-05-2003, 02:13 PM
I like the starter button idea. Makes the dash look that much better... the only thing is without that silver ring which appears around the start button, the hazard button dosen't look like it fits properly. If you can get one of those silver rings around the hazard button it would look way more professional. Just my personal opinion...

bmx269
05-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Here is a wiring diagram that I made.

FailureToStart
05-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Automotive geniusness at it's finest.

But I ponder: does your car still start when cranked with the key or because that relay was re-routed to the button it no longer works when you try to key start? Can the car be overcranked with the push button?

I would like to make a DIY that keeps from letting another person overcrank your car...like those seen on the 03 Silverado trucks, if you try to crank it after the engine has been started it won't grind.

fsugatorbait
05-06-2003, 06:58 AM
The start button doesnt overide the key action, the key still works as usual. I did test the button while the car was running and nothing happened, no grind that you'd get if you turned the key while it was running.

ViViDPeArL
06-04-2003, 12:03 AM
so how does the start button work? clutch in...key to ACC, then push?

IchBinEinSiR
06-04-2003, 04:23 AM
Key to "ON" position, one after the "ACC"...

S2KplusSI
06-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Excellent work!

rgGolf4
06-10-2003, 08:52 AM
This may help with the unfinished hole. Its not silver, but its meant for the button.

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=IGN-SSMR1&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=5&back=yes&dept=3461

St.Sinister
09-03-2003, 08:12 PM
why arent pics showing up? i am trying to figure this mod out, should happene within 2 or 3 weeks

chubbychu
09-03-2003, 09:28 PM
cuz you are about 5 months too late! lol sorry. anyways its not that great of a mod...think about it...you have to stick your key in than into the on position and than press the button...why not get it all done in a flick of the wrist? im sure after a while the novelty of it would just turn into a PITA

St.Sinister
09-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
cuz you are about 5 months too late! lol sorry. anyways its not that great of a mod...think about it...you have to stick your key in than into the on position and than press the button...why not get it all done in a flick of the wrist? im sure after a while the novelty of it would just turn into a PITA

:( special look for shows though

fsugatorbait
09-04-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si

I agree that its one of those mods that 'could' be considered 'rice' because of the practicality of it, however, it does have a function and when placed in the hazzard button location it is easily within reach to be used. IMO it finishes off the dash, and looks pretty clean. Just my .02

Here's a pic of it, the color of the dash in the picture is off because of the lighting. The actual color almost matches the insert in the headrest of the seat.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p251f5070676eae2ecbadc4c4f74799f6/fb4bf696.jpg

St.Sinister
09-04-2003, 07:45 AM
thank you, looks good

fsugatorbait
09-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Re-attached pics, hope it helps.

DumbNewB
09-17-2003, 07:08 PM
I dont think it was mentioned before but how much did this cost you and how long did it take. Also could you give me the part number too? Any tips will point me in the right direction.

Thanks

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-17-2003, 09:29 PM
i installed my s2000 starter switch. i like it and so do the women. only problem i had was readin the direction that only came in chinese. ill post pics up when i get a chance after i finish doing the clean up

fsugatorbait
09-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by DumbNewB
I dont think it was mentioned before but how much did this cost you and how long did it take. Also could you give me the part number too? Any tips will point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I bought mine on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433313108&category=33691

Total time for everthing was about 3 hrs.

DumbNewB
09-18-2003, 02:10 PM
just curious but how much did all of you pay for the start button with everything. and is there any other place that gives specific instructions for this?

thanks

VIZHUNZ02SI
09-18-2003, 04:05 PM
i payed 20 bucks for the euro type r s2000 starter switch.
it has the button with a relay already pre wired.
once you figured out where you gonna put the switch.
all you need is some time. if you get this kit
there is a
red wire for power
black wire that actually connects to the switch that has another black wire for ground
a white wire that for ther starter
and a yellow wire for the acc
now this only for those who get the euro type r 2000 starter switch.
for safety reasons you should always disconnect your battery unless you have a clifford alarm like me =oD.

first connect the two thinner wires to the switch. one will have a connection clip to connect to the relay box.

the red wire from the realy box and black wire from the switch can be tapped into you cigerett lighter outlet to produce your power and ground

secondly disconnect the brown harness from the steering columb
in that columb you well only use the black and white in which you well connect the white wire from the relay bow to the one. and the blacn and yellow in which you well connect the yellow wire to
once every thing is connected connect you battery again get it a shot

colbyh
09-22-2003, 04:42 PM
is there amy way to completely bypass the key? i know there's the whole chip in the key so your car won't start without it thing going on, but can you bypass that? i'm not much of electronics guy, that's why i'm asking.

Ocelaris
09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
I wonder if you could use the bypass module for the car alarms, the one you need for remote start with the immobilizer... of course then somebody could just press your start button and drive off... nobody ever said the start button was a functional thing, it's just something cool to fill the void ;-)

blackout
12-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
The start button doesnt overide the key action, the key still works as usual. I did test the button while the car was running and nothing happened, no grind that you'd get if you turned the key while it was running.

push the clutch in,then push the button, then you'll hear some grinding.

fsugatorbait
12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by blackout
push the clutch in,then push the button, then you'll hear some grinding.

No thanks! :)

Ep3 No.2
04-25-2004, 10:39 PM
sorry to bring this back from the dead but fsugatorbait could you repost the pictures for me ? i would help me out a lot.
and does the s2000 start button light up ?

Civicvtec1ps
04-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
does the s2000 start button light up ?
I have OEM honda s2000 start button and It lights up.
It's not bright though.

Ep3 No.2
04-26-2004, 11:12 AM
could someone repost the pictures to this ?

fsugatorbait
04-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ep3 No.2
could someone repost the pictures to this ?

Ill have the pics up in about 30 min, sorry it wasnt done earlier but ive been having problems all day with the server. :)

registered
05-16-2004, 10:21 PM
I searched around and looked at all of the installs and am a bit confused. I need some help in clarifying a few things. I bought the starter button from honda, so from what I understand I dont need a relay correct? If not then do what do I connect to the prongs and which ones do I use. I would appreciate a simplified step by step procedure on doing this from one of you who has the starter button from Honda.

Funkyjiffy
06-22-2004, 11:22 PM
so not i'm confused. do you need a relay? and in my 2004 ep3 there is no cig lighter so where should i get the power from?

blackout
06-23-2004, 07:16 AM
You do NOT need a relay, but some people have used them. I've done the install on my car and 3 friends all 4 with out relays...

and for power, I think we all refer to the power outlet below the shifter console as the "cig lighter" even though none of the usdm civics have a real cig lighter... Thats where I got power and ground.... Hope that helps. :D

Civicvtec1ps
06-23-2004, 08:31 AM
I have OEM Honda 2000 Start button and Didn't use relay.

Havn't had any problem for months.

VBP2004EP3
06-27-2004, 12:53 PM
http://www.aj-racing.com/JDM-DC5.html Why is the DC5r start button 210 dollars

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-27-2004, 05:32 PM
hmmmmmm i had that problem twice
the time was due to the fact some psb (push start buttons) have adjustment parts. at least mines does. when i tighten the screw part in the back to much the starter grinds every time i pushed the cluth in. the second time is when i adjusted the throttle cable it grinded for a second in 3rd gear. after a lil adjustment it went away. check you switchs and your throttle cables
maybe the timing is to far advanced

blackout
06-27-2004, 07:37 PM
http://www.aj-racing.com/JDM-DC5.html Why is the DC5r start button 210 dollars

It probably comes with the complete wiring harness and everything...

Ocelaris
06-27-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but you can use a floppy disk power connector to plug into the S2000 start button. I used that and had no problems, no relay either, had mine in for more than a year... I put mine to the right of the steering column, in a blank spot, just had to cut out the plastic a little to make it flush. I also replaced the bulb with LEDs while I was in there, and wired the light to the same light that is on the key input, I think that is green, so when you start it up, it fades out slowly like the key light.

VBP2004EP3
06-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but you can use a floppy disk power connector to plug into the S2000 start button. I used that and had no problems, no relay either, had mine in for more than a year...
I dont understand, please explain... Do you have any picc of this install?

VBP2004EP3
06-28-2004, 10:45 AM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDUyNzQ3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Is this what you mean

Ocelaris
06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
yup that's it... I don't have any pics of it, but take my word for it, if you just buy the stock S2k button, that 4 pin connector that you plug in your floppy drive to will plug right into the S2k button back. Granted there is only 3 wires coming out of the S2k button, but the spacing is correct. So just figure out which wires "connect" when you push the button in, and wire those up to where the key switch is... somewhere I have the diagram, or it may be posted, but look for the schematic if yau can. Best, Bill