PDA

View Full Version : Progress Spring Noise fix!!

phatsi
05-02-2003, 10:35 AM
After talking with Andy at Progress....he stated you need to cut the bumpstops on the EP front and back and to get rid of the noises like clunking over bumps...not the popping noises from bad intallation....you need to oreder more of the noise insulation kit from them....they didn't include enough in the kit in the first place....the noise is just the springs hitting each other and the more insulation the less the noise.....

02SilverSiHB
05-02-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by phatsi
After talking with Andy at Progress....he stated you need to cut the bumpstops on the EP front and back and to get rid of the noises like clunking over bumps...not the popping noises from bad intallation....you need to oreder more of the noise insulation kit from them....they didn't include enough in the kit in the first place....the noise is just the springs hitting each other and the more insulation the less the noise.....
I actually haven't had any noise like that due to the bumps...but, I still need to trim my bump stop in the front, my instructions didn't call for it, but a lot of others did.

IceD out N CALI
05-02-2003, 11:49 AM
good heads-up :)

phatsi
05-02-2003, 12:11 PM
I didnt have any noise either until i trimmed the front.... even though the directions show how to trim the bumps... they show 99-00 si bumps not ours, but we still are supposed to trim them with the progress springs.... they also wont bottom out the struts after they are cut....the drop isnt low enough to do that but if you hit a 4 or 5 inch pot hole who knows.... not all springs will make noise...depends on your car and where you put the insulation kit!!!

EP33
05-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Good one :)

foilpan
05-02-2003, 07:17 PM
hmmm... mine just started creaking a bit. and it feels like the bumpstops aren't cut. i'm smashing the bumpstops on little bumps... not much wheel travel. so i guess i need to go back to the shop and make sure they cut the damn things. ack. i don't think they put any of that insulation on either. :(

foilpan
05-03-2003, 11:11 AM
oh, i also noticed a sound kinda like "DOONG" when i turn the wheels all the way left or right. it doesn't always happen. is this something i should worry about?

phatsi
05-03-2003, 12:10 PM
any boings or pops are signs of a incorrect install job... usually this is from not lining up the arrows on the strut body and strut upper plate that bolts to the car....also there is a white line there from the factory that needs to line up...either of these will solve your problem... this only makes that noise if reassembled wrong and only when turning left or right....

SoCaLep3
07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
is there anything negative that will happen if you dont cut the bumpsotps?

phatsi
07-29-2003, 12:42 PM
if you dont mind the ride which will be harsh if you are in fact hitting or riding on the bumpstops. i dont know if there will be long term damage but you should cut them for proper fit and they are always a cheap item to purchase if you ever need to in the future.

bigcase
07-29-2003, 03:16 PM
yeah, i got clunking and shit over bumps too, with my progress drop. it does do it more on the front passenger side, i guess because of less insulation and the whole grease thing. but mine does it over big bumps, say when the suspension decompresses, the hits something hard to compress it all the way. it sounds like a hammer hitting the body of the car and the spring itself. its really pissing me off, but i dont have the time, patience, tools or money to fix it. my home shop is six hours away in fuckin louisiana. HELP. will this really work. and if i can get more spring insulation, do i have to take the spring off to put it in there?

EP3_DC5
07-29-2003, 03:27 PM
I installed the Progress springs on my gf's EP and they were fine, no popping, no clanking, nothing. I just used White Lithium grease on everything, lined everything up properly and used all the insulation crap in the right places. It also helps that I've done a bunch of spring installs though.

phatsi
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
bigcase....you can call up Progress and say you need more insulation material and they will send you some...then either jack up your car or put it on a lift and with the tires still on you can get it on by starting a corner of the insulation and just spin it on and the material will travel right up the spring then you can move it around to where you need it...i have a ton of it on and have done tons of springs and i have taken them off a few times and still get a little clunking over the bigger bumps....oh well....

bigcase
07-30-2003, 07:25 AM
damn, i can just call em up and say, hey, i need some more spring insulation huh? well, im gonna do that today for sure. i need to have my shit checked out anyways, but thanks for the post. it was really helpful.